Cause' your my enemy
Laughing back at me

Outro
Tired and drawn, its not my face anymore
Just a stranger staring back at me
You not just a piece of glass, your my enemy
I blame you,
My depth perception

I'm not sure about the outro but the rest I'm pretty happy with, feedback would be great.

Thanx Pet.

(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey pet,

nice choice of object in the room. that is one i would have never thought about picking.

i have a lot to say here. first off the words 'depth perception' bother me the way they sound. and i am trying to figure out where the ability to judge the distance of objects and the spatial relationship of objects at different distances fits into this song. or are you refering to the ability to see inside of yourself?

"Much worse than brutal" the meaning of this line sounds off to me aswell. something being worse than brutal sounds funny to me.

verse two is really good, i like it sans the depth perception. great imagery in each line of this verse.

in the chorus you mention that the mirror is the enemy, but you don't explian why in any verse. and also in the outro which confuses me, you say "i blame you" but for what? you never explain what the mirror ever did to the narrator. after reading this song i am still wondering why, why is this mirror so bad and why is the narrator wanting to smash it to pieces.

this is a good start. i would keep verse two as is and the chorus is not bad. maybe add a bridge that explains more and/or another verse.

in the outro you start to allude to something in the first two lines but then it fizzles out. if those lines were meant to be a clue as to why the mirror is so evil, maybe the narrator is just vain and looking old is making her mad, then they should be mentioned earlier in the song.

hopes this helps. don't mean to pick on you, this is just how i try and help when i can.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@gaz-uk)
Estimable Member

its great!!!..
:twisted:

"people laugh at me because im different...i pity you..because your all the same"

ReplyQuote
(@gaz-uk)
Estimable Member

great song pet..nothing wrong with it whatsoever,i love the line.. "cause your the enemy laughing back at me" keep up the great work :D :D :D

"people laugh at me because im different...i pity you..because your all the same"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey CheapThrill,

Thanx for the feedback - Yes 'Depth Peception' is a play on words and indeed means to look within yourself, inner depth, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.

'Much worse than brutal' - ok if you look at the line before that it refers to honesty, whats more brutally honest than a mirror? That also leads into why the mirror is the enemy - it cant be either friend of foe, you show me a woman who isnt a little self conscious. Have you heard of body dysmorphic disorder? the sufferer perceives their image differently from everyone else, leading to depression and emotional out bursts, the character in this song hates their image/reflection so much they cant bare to look into a mirror so breaks it to give them a sence of self satisfaction and revenge for 'mocking' them - like the line in the chorus 'Laughing back at me'.

Of course the character is vain, and focuses of every little inperfection/flaw of their complection (women huh?) and has a twisted self image, focusing all the negativity about themself onto the inanimate object.

Sorry to be long winded in this explanation, but I wanted you to understand the feel/angle I was going for.

Thanx Pet.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Aww thanx Gaz :D

ReplyQuote
 Olav
(@olav)
Estimable Member

Pet
Now that you have given us insensitive and emotionless guys some insight to what in the world is going on in a woman’s mind, it brings
your lyrics into a different perspective. The only problem is
that if the character is like most other women she will have changed
her mind tomorrow.......I hope :)
Enough about that
First off let me tell you this is great. Only a couple of things are bugging me
(Maybe I just interpret it wrong, but I’ll let you be the judge)

Verse 1 Line 2
Due to your explanation it is not because of the mirrors honesty, but the wrong perception that make the viewer sick. (If I understood you right)

V2
I have some problems understanding what you mean with
“My eyes need no words at all”

Outro
The person ripped the mirror of the wall, and the "stranger" is looking back at her. Do I understand it right that if that happend the mirror should be in pieces on the floor, exept maybe the piece she is holding in her hand. If so it may be worth making mention of that in the Outro. That is if your outro is kinda wrapping up the lyrics.

Other than that great stuff. Sorry for whining :)
Blessings.
Olav

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey pet,

nice explination, no need to appologise about being long winded, i do that a lot myself. :lol:

ok so as i gather the song is about a vain woman not likeing her image in the mirror so she brakes it. maybe there needs to be more into the mind of the character about what she is unhappy about. right now the song sounds more like the woman just throwing a little kid tantrum getting mad and then breaking the mirror. i think there needs to be a little more explination done in the song.

i do have to agree with olav about the outro. there should be some mention that there are many pieces laying about, or the stranger staring back at me from this shard i hold in my hand. or manybe that now there are many strangers staring back at her since there are now many pieces and each one reflects an image of her.

so have this great psycological thing going on here about a woman hating herself because of her relection in the mirror and her inner vanity, but in the song all that really comes across is i hate my refection so i am breaking the mirror. let us know that it is a deeper thing than just a bad hair day. the song doesn't reveal enough about the woman as much as the subject matter dictates. if that makes sense.

hope this helps.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
Trusted Member

I think if you remove the word "depth" from the song, it works much better since you are contrasting reality versus imagination or perception.
I like it and think it expresses every persons inner demons well (Love/Hate etc).

"Don't get trapped by the tyranny of four" Rikky Rooksby

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey mikem,

i like your suggestion of just removing the word "depth" from the song. sounds good without it.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@syds-madcap-girl)

Pet, I got the "depth perception" thing immediately...it makes perfect sense when put into several different contexts as a play on words. I dig it, and overall I think these are fabulous lyrics.

And no, I'm not just being biased. ;)

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

~Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Thanx every one for the comments/feedback I really appreciate it.

CheapTrill: I think that maybe I didnt explaine things very well, the song is not about vanity in the normal sence of the word, its about illness not "a bad hair day".

Olav: The line "My eyes need no words at all" is again about honesty (do you really tell your girlfriend/wife/partner the truth when they ask that dreaded question 'Does my bum look big in this?') - The character doesn't need any words/opinions because what she see's in the mirror is honest even if perceived incorrectly.

Thanks MikeM - I think your suggestion worked better so took it on board.

Hahaha - Ta Des :wink:

Thanx to GazUK & VicLewis too :D

OK here is the new version.

Depth Perception

Verse One
Your cold and silent! - Staring back at me
You make me sick inside, its your honesty
Much worse than brutal
I dont recognise you... At all...
What are you but my reflection
My self perception on the wall

Chorus
I hate you! I'll break you!

Cause' your the enemy
Laughing back at me

Cause' your my enemy
Laughing back at me

Verse Two
Mirror! Mirror! I'm going to rip you off the fucking wall
My eyes need no words at all
Won't stop till your a thousand pieces
Lying on the floor
Its not my imagination
My self perception seeks somethin' more

Chorus

Cause' your the enemy
Laughing back at me

Cause' your my enemy
Laughing back at me

Bridge
Hey! are you happy now?
Are you fucking happy now?

Chorus

Cause' your the enemy
Laughing back at me

Cause' your my enemy
Laughing back at me

Verse Three
My open hands........ - Hold this broken glass
Feeding off obsession - Won't you help me please?
My twisted depth perception - ...is creeping in
My bodys' itching, I need to shed this skin
This reflection doesn't like the one I'm in

ReplyQuote
(@gaz-uk)
Estimable Member

this rocks pet...ego boooooooooosssssssst! it rocks :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LMAO!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey pet,

i like the rewrite. it adds some more depth that i think was lost in the original. good job. i knew that the song was about more than just a bad hair day, not b/c of the words in the song, but b/c i knew that there was supossed to be a deeper meaning. it just wasn't conveyed very clearly in the original.

good job.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2