Clear all

SSG WK 26

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This title spoke to me this week, which is great since the muse has been oddly quiet lately:

Everybody Lies
I thought you were different from the rest
But now you've been put to the test
I thought you wanted something more
Than the same routine you had before
But the lies just trip off of your tongue
All your claims are too far flung
I can tell just looking in your eyes
Don't try to deny it- Everybody Lies

So now you've been caught in the act
Bending the truth , distorting facts.
Sins of omission, things left unsaid
Hang like a cloud above your head
You need to confess, you need to come clean
Don't fall into your old routine
I can tell by looking into your eyes
Don't try to deny it - Everybody Lies.

I know that everybody lies
We bend the truth we compromise
Then we try to rationalize
We hide behind our ugly lies
Everybody lies

You may as well admit defeat
I've heard the word out on the street
And if you think she's something more
Don't let me keep you, there's the door
Anther time, another place
I might forgive your fall from grace
I can tell by looking in your eyes
Don't try to deny it- Everybody Lies.

Kathy Reichert
4/29/07

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Kat

This is really good. I got this as a medium tempo rocky piece and it worked quite well with the chords I had over it.

There's nothing I'd change about it I think the story is well told across the song. Some awkwardness on some lines which will fall out when you put music to it.

There are also some killer lines in here

Don't let me keep you, there's the door

being my favourite.

Good interpretation of the assignmentand quickly done which leaves you the rest of the week to get it recorded and posted. :wink:

Great stuff

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Kathy, it's been a while! I always enjoy reading your songs, and there aren't too many lady songwriters around - One Winged Angel's been flying the flag, so to speak, but I must admit I miss Portia and Jamir's writing....although Jamir popped in a few weeks back.

Anyway - to the song. Not really much here to find fault with - but I'm playing devil's advocate, so I'll just mention a couple of little points.

"I thought you were different from the rest
But now you've been put to the test ".........

"Until you were put to the test" might work better - gives the impression straight away that he's been tried and found wanting.

"Then we try to rationalize
We hide behind our own disguise."

Not keen on that last line at all - it just doesn't read well to me. Maybe something like "And hide behind a disguise" could work better, depending on meter - seemed to work OK in my head though with the rhythm I had going.

"You might have told me to my face
You might as well cut to the chase "

You're mixing tenses there - and as I was playing around with it in my head, I reversed the order of those two lines....

"You could have cut to the chase,
You might have told me to my face."

It just seemed more logical somehow....

But these are just trivialities, really, it's a strong song...I think you've got yet another good one here. I don't know what you've got in mind for music, I could hear this as a 12-bar blues (actually, when I'm reading lyrics, most of them are 12-bar blues - easy to put a rhythm to!) or country....

Nice writing as always,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I've done a clean up on some of the lyrics. ( thanks for the input guys)
We always seem to agree on the weak lines!

I've uploaded to: http://www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert .
As always, any feedback is welcome.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Excellent!

Hard to find any flaws there....well played, well sung, music fits the lyrics a treat. I thought the preamble and the instrumental section after the bridge were on the long side, but then again it'll save you from having to record it all over again if you decide to add more instrumentation.

From basic idea to well-recorded MP3 in two days - that's pretty good going!

OK I'm off to try and record my song for this week now....hope it turns out half as good as yours!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Very good Kathy, I especially like the bridge. Well written and recoreded IMO.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

simply astonishing

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you gentleman very much. Vic, I agree, the intro is too long. I'll probably re-record it. I'm still fumbling around a bit with the technical side, so what I always think will be a quick recording usually ends up taking 2 hours. Then, I"m so frustrated that I'm not about to do it again!!!! ( I am beginning to appreciate why recording studios are a great idea. Let someone else worry about the techno end!)

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Kathy

Great job on the song and MP3.

I'm hoping to hear a live performance on this in August.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Hey Kathy,

I love the way you've fit the words to the rhythm. Some tongue twisters in there, but you didn't have any trouble with them.

The only line I had trouble with was the one about claims being "too far flung". It doesn't seem to fit what the rest of the song is saying. There's not a lot else that rhymes directly with 'tongue', but you can cheat with a near rhyme and use something that rhymes with 'one', or even 'come'.

Beside my one obligatory quibble, great work.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote