Skip to content
SSG Y7W13 -Life's S...

Notifications
Clear all

SSG Y7W13 -Life's Snaphot- Joe Hempel MP3 (full)

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The mp3 is only the music, and just the intro, and first verse/pre-chorus/chorus. It's pretty rough, I have a hard time going from A to a barred A smoothly. I'm wrote this in A, using A/A9/A6 Barred A on the 5th fret. The Chorus is D, E, A, E, D, A, Bm, E (If I remember correctly.) Anyway, here's the part that I have.

Live Mix -- http://www.box.net/shared/631jfyftp7

Multi-Tracked -- http://www.box.net/shared/yeeau8b3op

Juice box snacks and
Daytime Naps
Tire Swings with friends

First Day at school
You look so cool
And think that you're so big

It doesn't matter what tomorrow holds
There's no care and there's no worries
It's a picture perfect snapshot
of a life that I once lived

[chorus]
Those days are gone forever
Time will take it's hold
Life's a game that we all play
And memories fade away
Take time to look around you
Do all you can do
In the end all that's saved
Are just pictures on a page

Giant Dreams and
Homecoming Queens
Fridays seem so far

You toss your cap
Are head of the class
And you think that you're so big

Start to think what tomorrow holds
You care, but there's no worry
It's a picture perfect snapshot of
A life that I once lived

[chorus]

[bridge]
Page after page you write your life doing the best that you can
But Would you change the way you lived your days
If you knew what was ahead

Juice box snacks and
Daytime naps
That boy is now a dad

First day at school
He looks so cool
And you wish he weren't so big

Today is all the future holds -- changed from previous version
Tomorrow is unwritten

A life that I still live

These days won't last forever
Hold them close while you still can
A life that I still live
A life that I still live.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Joe,

Good start and nice chord(s) :D. It looks like you have a good platform to take the meaning of the lyrics in a lot of different directions....It looks like your message is "enjoy the present while it's here" "These days won't last forever"

Keep at it! :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks James!

I wanted to let the listener take what they wanted from the song. To me, it's about growing up and taking one step at a time, because no matter how much fun the past was, it always gets better, you derive different emotions from the same things at different times in your life.

Hopefully I'll have something better in the next couple of days.

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

Nice - I liked the guitar stuff, I could imagine it slowly adding other instruments and building up to the last verse, then quiet down for that one.

I thought about how you have "These days won't last forever" and for the first couple choruses I thought, shouldn't it be "Those days"? Then the third chorus These was better. But I'm thinking that having that subtle shift at the end would be nice - kind of like the punchline that you can't really have those other days again, but treasure the ones now (and I think that's what you're getting at).

jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Jeremy!
I thought about how you have "These days won't last forever" and for the first couple choruses I thought, shouldn't it be "Those days"? Then the third chorus These was better. But I'm thinking that having that subtle shift at the end would be nice - kind of like the punchline that you can't really have those other days again, but treasure the ones now (and I think that's what you're getting at).

Changed!

I was actually trying for a first person view for the entire song, but I guess it didn't work out too well. I think "Those days are gone forever" works just as well. Thanks for the input!

Hopefully tomorrow night I will have a full MP3 of the song up, didn't get a chance to record it today.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

Nice chords Joe - can't wait to hear the lyrics sung.
Oh yes, well done for The Day We Didn't Die - excellent.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Dylan, thanks alot! I appreciate it!
Nice chords Joe - can't wait to hear the lyrics sung.

Oh yes you can :lol:

Hopefully the wife will let me do a bit of recording today so I can post it, I'm going to attempt to do this on my Boss Micro BR and see how that goes for portable recording.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Joe :D

Like the music.... you might have a hard time with that chord change, but
the chords that you played sounded nice and crisp.
No bum notes :)

And it was very pleasant to listen to.

I like the story as well.... sort of Chapinesque 8)

I especially related to the 'and you wish he weren't so big' line.
I have a six yr old.... I sure do miss him being a little baby :(

Thankx,

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Nice fingerpicking and chord choices.

E

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Eddie, thank Ken

I decided to record this two ways with my Boss Micro BR, one was to multi-track it with guitar, then vocals on track 2, mix down to mp3 that way.

The other was to just use the mic that was built in to the BR, and master/mix to mp3 that way.

When I was multi-tracking, I changed the lyric: "All that matters is what tomorrow holds" to "All that matters is what now holds", that was completely un-intentional.

During the live recording it just didn't flow right so I don't know if it's better or worse.

I also used my Ibanez Classical/Electric instead of my Acoustic/Electric. Links are posted at the top in the main post.

Thanks for listening!!

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Joe,

Sounding good. :note2:

Suggestion:

How about a bit more "Carpe diem" philosophy? [It is popularly translated as "seize the day". ] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpe_diem

changing
Start to think what tomorrow holds
to
Start to think what today holds

All that matters is what tomorrow holds
to
All that matters is what today holds

Good work! :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input James. I don't know if I like the changes, because of the way the song goes.

"It doesn't matter what tomorrow holds" -- At that age tomorrow is so far away, and there's so much time it doesn't matter.

"Start to think what tomorrow holds" -- You're past your high school days, what does Tomorrow hold, what journey will you take?

"All that matters is what tomorrow holds" -- What is your child going to be, what dreams, what hopes, etc.

Thank you for the suggestions though, I see what you are saying, but I don't know if it would work.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Joe,

It's fine if you have something else in mind.

I just thought it fit better with your last section because I thought you meant "today" when you wrote/sang

These days won't last forever
Hold them close while you still can
A life that I still live
A life that I still live.

Again, it is a different philosophy, but my assumption is anyone who has really had to come to terms with death would see the future as quite fragile.

We make a lot of assumptions or expectations in the absence of death in our lives. For example a man might say, "I am a father of a new born. Of course I am going to watch her graduate, walk her down the aisle, play with my grand kids someday in the future."

These are all definite blessings, but no one can claim them as rites or guarantees. All we really have in this life is the present. Sorry if I am coming across too heavy...It's really one of those ideas you only get by going through it....For example, talking about being married vs. being married, talking about having kids vs. having kids.

I am fine if you leave it...it's your song...just trying to give something to chew on.

James

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The song was more about a journey of life, of one person looking at the life as a kid, as a teen, and now it's come full circle as an adult and looking at his kid growing up.

The earlier verses were in the past, the last is in the present, but still looking forward as they won't last forever, maybe it's not as clear as I think it is and I need to re-work things.
These are all definite blessings, but no one can claim them as rites or guarantees. All we really have in this life is the present. Sorry if I am coming across too heavy...It's really one of those ideas you only get by going through it....For example, talking about being married vs. being married, talking about having kids vs. having kids.

I agree completely with you, the future isn't set in stone and you have to live in the present and take what you have today as a blessing.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've done a bit of changing to the lyrics, will re-record it later, but I think after thinking about James advice I'm liking the change to the last verse, because when you are younger, you don't worry about that tomorrow may not come, but that happens as an adult more and more, and that taking what you have for that day with kids, wife, etc is more important.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2