Clear all

Wk13- Peace and Glory

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

One chord, eh? For awhile I was humming "Gsus is still all right with me", but I think the Doobie Brothers already did that one. So I settled on a nice little jam on E (sort of... meaning I was using my guitar that has no G because it broke and played it up on the 7th fret with my pointer and ring fingers while adding some fills with my pinkie and middle). Then I thought, but what am I supposed to sing about? So I kept jamming till I started humming and started free forming till I started to feel a theme. All about the music? Hear it at www.soundclick.com/jeremysutter

Fun topic, never thought I'd write a one chord song, but I kind of like it. Still don't know about the title.

Peace and Glory

Sittin' on the sofa, Sunday afternoon
Lazy little songbird, whistlin' a tune

Sail on Tuesday, ‘nother day's gone by
She tried to steal a kiss, but your lips'd gone dry

She knows one day
You're gonna come
She knows one day
You're gonna come back home

Sittin' on the porch step, sippin' lemonade (or porchswing?)
With a dusty sunset, o'er the fields of hay

Neighors in the playhouse, squirrels in the trees
Willows dance softly in the evening breeze

It's not too late
For you to come
Her heart beats softly
It's time to come back home

She hasn't got a worry, nothin' wears her down
Knows in her heart one day she'll wear a crown

She's still prayin'
For you to come
Called to glory
Let her take you home

Called to glory, let her take you home.

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like it, Jeremy!

Nice bouncy, yet laid back groove you got going there - perfect for putting you feet up to on a lazy summer afternoon whilst doing nothing more strenuous than sipping a cold one.

For one chord, there's a lot of variety in there...and that kind of illustrates exactly what I was hoping for from this assignment. If you're restricted musically to one chord, then the song has to be built around the melody the strumming and the overall dynamic...and you've pulled it off really well.

Excellent vocals, by the way - those of us (cough.....) not blessed with a natural singing voice are probably cursing you right now and casting jealous looks your way!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Wonderful work, Jeremy! Very nice. Love the "...she tried to steal a kiss, but your lips'd gone dry..." line.

Only suggestion I'd have is to make this line:
Sittin' on the porch step, sippin' lemonade
With a dusty sunset, o'er the fields of hay

a little more active, maybe like this:
Sittin' on the porch step, sippin' lemonade
Watch the dusty sunset, o'er the fields of hay

But that's just a personal preference.

Not sure I'd go with that title, either. How about Sunday Afternoon?

Great work. Lot of inspiration so far this week and it's only Monday!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Wow!
Great song Jeremy :D

Wonderful guitar playing....
and your singing;
I'm very jealous of people who actually CAN sing! :twisted:

Thankx for posting - I really enjoyed it 8)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wonderful guitar playing....
and your singing;
I'm very jealous of people who actually CAN sing! :twisted:

Ditto.

Very nice, I didn't feel like I was listening to just one chord. When I payed attention to the music I noticed that wth the exception of the little fills that it was just one chord, but nice job in making a great melody to it!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Jeremy,

Like the other posts....really like this one...great feel and images...a bit Third Day "ish" [that's a compliment :wink: ]

Now here comes my ignorance :oops:

Story line (correct me when I go wrong)
boy and girl like each other but boy doesn't get the relationship going
boy leaves but should go back to her
boy dies before he makes it back to her or girl dies before he makes it back to her?

yes/no?

I still like it even if I don't understand it, but I would like to understand it, too.

Thanks

James

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

story... ok, I guess I was thinking of somthing like this - tranquil images of a woman, maybe middle aged, and there's a guy out there somewhere that has left and she's kind of waiting for him to come back, but not desperate, worried, or hung up. She's still got a good life, a peace that she would like him to share in. I didn't want something about unrequited love, but that she is ok either way... but willing to wait out of faithfulness and a non-clinging love.

jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

story... ok, I guess I was thinking of somthing like this - tranquil images of a woman, maybe middle aged, and there's a guy out there somewhere that has left and she's kind of waiting for him to come back, but not desperate, worried, or hung up. She's still got a good life, a peace that she would like him to share in. I didn't want something about unrequited love, but that she is ok either way... but willing to wait out of faithfulness and a non-clinging love.

jeremy

Nice job again! I was with james on the meaning of the song, has a whole other ring to it now, like it even more.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Nice - in fact, very nice...

I think this assignment requires good playing skills to pull it off, as well as good songwriting. I think I'm going to struggle to get anything recorded for this one as i'm in the cold cold land of Inglaterre, but I do have a guitar....

Listening to this has spurred me on...thank you...

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Really nice. I love the perfomance. Your soundclick pages are hilarious too.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, all. it's a good feeling for people to say I get one right occasionally.

jeremy

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

thanks, all. it's a good feeling for people to say I get one right occasionally.
I know what you mean . . . occasionally I get something right . . .
and then the wife reminds me . . . . even a broken clock is right twice a day.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

So what's her name? I may be the guy. :shock:

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote