Skip to content
SSG Y7W13 -Life's S...

Notifications
Clear all

SSG Y7W13 -Life's Snaphot- Joe Hempel MP3 (full)

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Hi Joe. I like the song. It starts with some nice fingerpicked guitar but I think you rush the vocals against the guitar in the verses. It's good though.

I like the chorus a lot. Big strummy chords and the chorus says "BAM!". Nice.

I hate to throw a wrench into the works but when I was younger I worried a lot. It was only after 40 that I started to relax and not get worked up about stuff. It's not that I don't care it's more like acceptance of the human condition and then gratitude for the time I have with those I care about because at any moment.....ZIP!!!!.

But then again I am a perpetual bachelor. :lol:

ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Ernie, thanks for the input!

I gotta say that I think I differed when I was younger, I didn't really worry about anything, still don't, and that drives my wife absolutely crazy :lol: . Which I think is why I thought the change made more sense from the "adult perspective" of the song.

http://www.box.net/shared/sy5xxzdfo7 is where the version is that I just recorded.

I tried to take your advice with the vocals against the verse, I tried to slow it down a bit, let the guitar lead the vocals. I also tightened up the chords against the bridge.

The only thing that's still picking at me that I don't think is quite right is

"you toss your cap
are head of the class
you think that you're so big"

I want to have that part come to a close, but it just doesn't flow right for me, any thoughts from anyone?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for giving your perspective.

I think the vox sound better. Nice job.

I think the verse you want to tighten up is okay. I get it and it makes sense and graduating is closure.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I want to try a bit of lead on this nice and quiet at some point see if it goes anywhere.

I think I found a way vocally (well, as vocally as I can do) to change that verse, and I want to change the words in the end

"It's a picture perfect snapshot of a life that I still live -- change first one to life I want to live.
It's a picture perfect snapshot of a life that I still live

Appreciate the input!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I have only one suggestion, Joe - in this verse,

Start to think what tomorrow holds
You care, but there's no worry
It's a picture perfect snapshot of
A life that I once lived

You're still holding on to the A chord, and variation of it; I'd treat it more as a pre-chorus; I'm expecting chord changes there that don't come. it just doesn't work for me, musically - that's where you should be introducing some variation. I'd suggest going to D7 in the first line and seeing where that leads you....musically, the rest of the song's a good match for the lyrics.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2