SSG6 - Week 28,29,30 31 - Going Places - mp3

25 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It would appear that this title has been used a few times (David Lee Roth, Paul Weller). It started life as a Person, Place Thing type of song for assignments 28, 29 & 30 but it has finally made it out for assignment 31 (4 assignments in one – not bad). The italicized lines are sung using a different meter that the plain typed lines.

Going Places
© Copyright 2008 Paul Brady

Verse 1
All these people going places
lost expressions on their faces
Lost in thought anticipating
being there and then relating, to

Other people other places
Same expressions on their faces
Makes me wonder who we are

Verse 2
Looking down and out of touch
searching for some kind of crutch
never think to ask the questions like
are we moving in the right direction, or are we

just coming here and going there
without a reason without a care

Bridge
And just like all the rest I'm looking
And what I see don't change my mind
Yes I've been known to lead and follow
A sightless man among the blind

Verse 3
And still we search and hope to find
That inner peace that state of mind
And comprehend just why we're here
And look to God and look to prayer, while we

Compete for this compete for that
And others die while some get fat

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Paul ,

When I first looked at this I said to myself "No Chorus " thats odd coming from Paul ...{ Not meaning anything by that though }

The italicized lines To me seem to work well , even if I did just talk them and tried to sing the rest ,

One line really stands out for me Paul and I have to say that is very clever :

A sightless man among the blind

That is brilliant , a double meaning on sightless I would have never thought of something like that well done

Cheers
Trev...

How is the gigs going mate ?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I thought the whole thing was brilliant.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey,

I totally agree with Trev- the sightless/blind line is excellent :D
also am fond of the italic/plain lines scheme. and the first verse is especially beautiful- just gently putting you inside that sea of faces.
and really, for me, the song moves forward likes waves lapping against a shore- nice rhythm!

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Trev, KR2, straycat
thanks for the feedback. Im working on the mp3 at the moment I have recorded the guitar so far and am now working on the bass line for it.
Trev the gig was fantastic 12 hours of non stop music from local musicians, here are some photos,
Music Marathon. Unfortunately there are none of me at the moment we are trying to track down some of the missing photos from other people. It doesnt help when the official photographer is up on the stage with you. Check out that soundboard that is one serious piece of equipment. Do you remember Fred Dagg ? the band "The Daggs" played 40 minutes of farming sector parodies including songs like "Wooly Bully" amongst others. We played "River of Time" - Van Morrison , "Four & Twenty" - CSNY, "I need your love" - Fleetwood Mac, "Angels & Demons" - Paul Brady and "Still Blue" - Paul Brady. I played Bass for the covers and guitar for my songs. Straycat there wasnt enough time to play the Tree song sorry, but I have played it a couple of open mikes. Thanks for the feedback, this song does have a sea and wave feel to it, I agree, that wasn't my intention but I like the fact that it does. KR2 I appreciate your comment thanks very much.

cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Wow Paul

Great pics mate , looks like heaps of fun ... I hope you do track some pics down of you playing mate ...

Thanks heaps for sharing the pics

Trev...

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ive uploaded an mp3 here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6611822

cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Paul

Very Nice MP3!

Love the guitar work and the vocals sound slightly different for you.

Good JOb

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Paul ,

Terrific MP3 mate , I love it

Real upbeat tempo to the music ,

The more I listen to your singing and playing mate the more I like it ,

Gee your one talented dude

Cheers
Trev...

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Paul ,

Terrific MP3 mate , I love it

Real upbeat tempo to the music ,

The more I listen to your singing and playing, mate, the more I like it ,

Gee, you're one talented dude

Cheers
Trev...
Trev said it all so I'm just going to quote him.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Paul, great stuff! :D
And great universal subject matter.

I must admit, I was finding it a bit hard to initially read thru the lyrics....
As usual; When put to music.... 8)

It's got a bit of a Jack Johnson vibe goin' on, that despite the.... 'Woes of modern man' , underpin it with a
sort of primitive/happy feeling.... suggesting to me that you might be saying man was happier before this modern age,
or perhaps leading a simpler life (or maybe just that tropical vacations could be the answer to your problems! :wink: ).
Cool combination!

Did you put that track together yourself???? (Asking mostly about the bongos here :D )

I think my favorite line is the first one in verse 2 - 'Looking down and out of touch'
'Looking down' suggests to me, someone who is a bit sad or unsure of themselves.
And 'out of touch' is what it is....
Though, the cleverness is in the combining of those two to have 'down and out' implied in the middle.
Neat! :D

Really like the third verse's philosophical POV.

Well done!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This is one of those songs that proves that looking at lyrics alone isn't enough - first read, yeah, OK, nothing special. But the way you've put the music and lyrics together works great - I love the jerky, stuttery, stop/start acoustic riff, to me it makes the song. The lyrics are OK, like I said, but hey, I think with a riff like that you could read this week's shopping list over it and it'd sound good!

Not to denigrate said lyrics - I can't actually find anything where I'd think, "OOOH! That needs changing!" - I just think you've come up with such a really good piece of music, the lyrics are almost secondary - even though they work OK. Funny, this came up on another thread in a different forum - sometimes the music carries the lyrics, sometimes the lyrics carry the music.

And sometimes they just go well together....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

. Funny, this came up on another thread in a different forum - sometimes the music carries the lyrics, sometimes the lyrics carry the music.

And sometimes they just go well together....

:D :D :D

Vic

And when I sing well it just don't work at all

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good observation Vic

Cheers
Trev.. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased with how this song turned out, especially the production of the mp3. I've been trying different techniques for recording and microphone placement and I think I got this one right.
John, I'm singing in a key that is more comfortable for my vocal range so maybe a more relaxed outcome has resulted.
Trev & KR2 thanks again.
Ken, thanks for the Jack Johnson comment, that was exactly what I was hoping for. Jack Johnson is one of my (if not the most) favorite artist. I've been listening to “Sleep through the static” CD quit a bit recently and the running words together technique is used throughout this CD. E.g. “weather the storm drain running rampant..” and ”…use brute force feed the troops … “ That line you talk of was my attempt to do some thing like that, glad you liked it. Yes I played and recorded all the instruments (guitar, bass, congas and vocal) in the mix. I'm still trying to master the congas and will probably take some lessons at some point, but my main objective this year is to learn to play the bass.
Vic, I thought the lyrics might spark a comment I was trying to get a kind of monologue with the lyrics almost a rap (did I say that :oops: ) kind of feel that would then be lifted by the music. You're quite right the strong music definitely complements these lyrics, thanks for the feedback

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ahhhhh....
All the instrumentation is LIVE!
Awsome!

Did I mention; GREAT JOB! :D

And yes, the production quality is very lush.
I think that the acoustic guitar could still use a bit of tweaking though (Recording wise).
The playing was wonderful - Nothing wrong there.
It just seemed (to me) to be a bit weeker comparatively, than the other instruments.
Um.... How can I describe it....?
Thin? maybe....
The tone was all good and everything.... just seems to need a little more.... Fat in the mix????

And since I haven't yet figured out how to get my own acoustic recorded well yet.... I can't really offer any advice on how to get it there.

Just thought I'd throw that out, as you seem to be striving for production quality :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2