SSG9 - Week 13 - Hi-Phi-Delity

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is really just the first cut song of this song but if I don't post it now it probably wont get past the cutting room floor, and I need to write something :oops: . I think it needs one more verse to re-personalise the wonder the singer has with phi.

Hi-Phi-Delity
© Copyright 2011 Paul Brady

I don't know where your magic comes from
I don't care where your magic's been
Cos you know I've got your number
And it's the strangest thing I've ever seen

I've seen it on all your different faces
I've seen it in a flower in your hair
Babe you know I've got your number
I can see your number everywhere

Hi-phi-delity
One point six one eight o three
Hi-phi-delity
Sounds like magic, sounds like magic to me

It's there in wings of a dragonfly
And in the shells lying on the shore
But how can something so irrational
Be such a part of natural law

I've seen it in a flower in your hair

Hi-phi-delity
Hi-phi-delity
Sounds like magic, magic to me

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

Nice. It got me to check out Phi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA&feature=player_embedded

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks MrE, it is a great video isn't it. I got the Dragonfly reference from that clip :D

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Paul,

I'm one on that Holy Grail search to fuse the Golden Mean and music....Unfortunately, I am not very good at math which seems to be important to the topic :P ....but seriously I'm not good with math :oops:

This was an interesting article I had come across before on the topic:

Songwriting and the Golden Mean
http://garyewer.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/songwriting-and-the-golden-mean/

I like a lot of Gary Ewer's articles.

Good start on your lyrics. :D It seems like it could go in many directions, but figuring out your end purpose will help you get there easier:

Hi-Phi-Delity
© Copyright 2011 Paul Brady

I don't know where your magic comes from
I don't care where your magic's been
Cos you know I've got your number
And it's the strangest thing I've ever seen VERSE 1 SOUNDS LIKE THE SINGER IS EXCITED ABOUT THE CONCEPT

I've seen in a flower in your hair
I can see your number everywhere V2 SHIFTS TO THE SINGER APPLYING THE CONCEPT TO SOMEONE THEY'RE ATTRACTED TO....Seems like a nerd trying to be romantic......using math to woo a partner......which could work if the other person is into math :roll:

Hi-phi-delity
Hi-phi-delity
Sounds like magic, sounds like magic to me.......A bit too open as far as direction.....it sounds like the singer is more interested in the concept than the "Babe"

It's there in wings of a dragonfly
And in the shells lying on the shore
But how can something so irrational
Be such a part of natural law...............more support for a more educational type song explaining phi

So two directions I see this heading
the educational route....explaining phi and its benefits
the wooing route.....explaining to a love interest why he and she are "perfect" for each other; supporting the hoped for relationship with the mathematical facts of phi.....and its benefits......the mood could be cheeky, cute, raunchy, comedy....etc....depending on the music and delivery

.....a comical idea to slip in might be a play on words with Hi-Phi-Delity and infidelity......something to the effect that with such Hi-Phi-Delity there is no chance of any infidelity if you were mine....

My red flag was on the title- while I like the play on words of the title -remembering most songs are heard not read- the listener would/could be expecting a song about sound systems or home entertainment systems.....I don't think the bait and switch approach would go over well......or maybe the pronunciation would clarify Hi-Pi vs hi-fi

In all, though I appreciate your creativity and venture into an interesting song topic :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Paul

Really enjoyed this. Not sure if you need to add more to it. You could simply take your second stanza:

I've seen in a flower in your hair

And place it between the second verse (butterfly and all) and the last chorus. That would work.

Hope you get a chance to finish this one. I think it's a keeper.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the feedback.
Peter, if I do ever do anything with this then somewhere in the song there will be an incident that relates to the ratio, maybe just a single egg shake 61.803% through the song.

James thanks for the link its fascinating and inspiring. I wonder what unconscious messages are picked up when listening to a song that has been built around the ratio.

David, thanks mate I will try your suggestion. I think James is correct when he talks about figuring out the end purpose, either the love interest or the fascination with phi. Problem is I want both.

Cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Problem is I want both.
You could try to personifying phi as a woman and praising her for her mystery and finer points.

or

You could use phi as a metaphor
For example:
You are phi.....maybe you'll start a new lingo...like "Oh man, that's phat!.....She's the bomb!".....to "She's the phi" :wink:

ReplyQuote