Clear all

Y9 W13 - Six-three-five-nine-one-one

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Been away from GN for a couple of days or so, only saw the assignment tonight. Thought, hmm, I've done that one before. Didn't know if I was going to be able to come up with something, my head's been on planet Cabbage for the last few days. Anyway, I decided - about 10:30pm - I was going to have a drink. So, a walk up to the off license. Now this has happened before - my walking pace is pretty fast and lends its rhythm nicely to a fast 12-bar blues. I get a riff in my head, start putting words together and before I know it I've got the beginnings of a new song. Get home, leave bottle unopened, desperately trying to remember what I've been singing to myself....and remembered and wrote it down. Phew, NOW I can have a drink! Anyway, here's the song......

Six-three-five-nine-one-one

You got my number and I'm hoping you're going to call,
Please use it tonight if you're going to use it at all,
You got my landline, mobile and MSN,
You got my e-mail, add me as a facebook friend,
Well you know I'd love to be your number one,
Yeah, you got my number don't keep me hanging on.

Give me a ring six-three-five-nine-one-one,
Use it tonight, don't wait for another dawn,
You can reverse the charges if you must,
One long conversation won't leave me bust,
Please make it soon, don't make me wait too long,
Yeah, give me a ring six-three-five-nine-one-one,

Well I thought we'd made a good connection,
I didn't feel like I'd got my lines crossed,
I've never been a real smooth operator,
My tongue gets tied and my message lost,
I'd love to you have you in my directory,
One button to press to speeddial you,
You know you'd be at the top of my list,
Not number three or number two.....

So pick up that phone and please please give me a call,
Please use it now if you're ever going to use it at all,
I gave you a whole lot of ways to get in touch with me,
I'm getting desperate now, and I'm trying telepathy,
Hang on - is that an incoming call on my cell?
Yes it is, and I'm not hearing any warning bells!

Thought I'd try for optimistic for once.....

The reason why I was away, Marilyn was in hospital YET AGAIN - that's seven admissions since August 2010. Took her in last Thursday, she came out Wednesday afternoon. This time someone's finally got round to asking for some tests to find out why she keeps getting these chest infections that are causing the problem, and this time it's looking like they've found a solution.

Anyway, back to the song - I'd written it based on what I'd hummed to myself during my walk. Then I noticed I had to use a number for the title....so I picked one out of the air, completely at random. If you actually dialled that number after my area code, it'd put you through to the switchboard at Warrington Hospital - where Marilyn's just been. Funny thing is, I haven't actually used that particular number for months....I've used the direct lines to the particular wards she's been on, rather than going through the switchboard. Scary, though, that it came to the forefront so easily.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

Good start :D I like the phone references and different starting point in the relationship. Other songs you have seem to come after the relationship ends....usually badly :?

Suggestions:
Well you know I'd love to be your number one,

change to

Don't you know I'd love to be your number one?

Also consider
Give me a ring six-three-five-nine-one-one,

change to

six-three-five-nine-one-one, Give me a ring.....this might help put the emphasis on the number/hook/title

Then probably want to rhyme "ring".....maybe something like:
We can talk all night about "anything/everything"

Verse 1 seems to cover up to date forms of communication, but the rest of the song only focuses on phone calling; I'm not sure if it needs adjusting or just an observation.

Thanks for sharing and the update on Marilyn. She is still on our nightly prayer list with the kids.

James

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Good one Vic,
I like the phone references in the third stanza/bridge nicely done. My only nit pick is this line
I gave you a whole lot of ways to get in touch with me,
in terms of language it feels a just little beligerant to me, maybe:
You know theres a whole lot of ways to get in touch with me

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Vic

Glad to hear that you worked this out while walking. That usually means that you can hear how the meter's going to fall. Right now I'm having a tough time doing so. It's probably just me, though.

I'm also not sure about the middle two lines of the chorus.

You can reverse the charges if you must,
One long conversation won't leave me bust,

They just seem unweildy, but again, you may have that already taken care of. It will be interesting to hear how this all works out when you record it.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote