4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone,

I got a PM from one of our members this week with a suggestion for an SSG topic. I really liked the idea and it will go into next year's SSG at an appropriate point. If other members have suggestions for topics feel free to PM me with your suggestion (don't just attach to the bottom of this post)and I'll see if I can incorporate them.

More immediately it raised the question that as we approach the end of another year of the SSG what will we do for next year? Just so you know I'm working on a programme for the whole of next year so that, should anything crop up like it did this year, the SSG can continue uninterrupted. It also means that my time won't be spent on 'dreaming' up assignments and I can contribute more to critiquing songs and who knows maybe even write some. Hopefully, the assignments will be more structured but not necessarily require you follow them all rigidly. We have to be as inclusive as possible in the true spirit of GuitarNoise.Com

The programme isn't firmly set yet it still needs quite a bit of work.

Anyway with all of that in mind here's this week's assignment:

Week 48

This week we're partying. Remember the last party you went to...? For this week I want you tell me the stories of a party as seen by one particular person, e.g. the host, the awkward shy person, centre of attention, crasher etc. But I want you to do it in a certain structure I'd like a simple two line chorus, it can be repeated but should be only two lines and I want no more than 3 verses. The verses in turn should be no more than six lines. You can also include a bridge but again no more than four lines.

The idea is brevity - saying a lot with relatively few words.

Good writing

Bob :D

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

kath
(@kath)

hello, this is my first ever posting. I've only been attempting to write songs for about 8 months now, but have been reading the postings every week. Here is a song that sort of fits the description. Rather than being set at a party it is set at a pub, but that is only partly relevant as it isn't mentioned; however it is an observation of a particular pub-goer.
Well here goes:

Verse 1
You sit there like an exhibit to be watched
With your lips pursed and your head cocked.
Arms up and knees delicately spread,
you patiently work to draw him in.

Verse 2
Plenty of men send smiles your way
They gather around but you just look away
Touching your skin as they pass by
And eagerly try to draw you in.

Chorus
Week after week you can't understand why, the one that you want always passes you by
You try and move on, try and find someone new, but you know by next week you'll give in once again

Verse 3
Your hips swing, your skin glows
The room moves, your beauty shows
With eyes just for one, you dance all alone
You think when will he notice me.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out"- Decca Recording Co, rejecting The Beatles, 1962.
Keep up the good work gang, no-matter what the big-shots say!!

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

What if the only parties you been to were birthday parties or random like fun parties. I havnt experienced much lol.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@sarah)
Eminent Member

Okay, now looking at the assignment again, I violated a couple of the rules about number of verses and lines in the bridge. Oops. I'll remember better next time.

I suppose if I were Sarah McLachlan, I'd name this song "October", but as I'm not, I'll call it "Feels Like Spring".

Verse:
Ahh yes, I remember Rhonda's parties
Held to celebrate the full moon
The scraped-up wooden floorboards
That protest squeak when I move

It all feels familiar still
The colored nametags and laughing dances
My quiet spot in a corner
Where I watch the game of chances

Chorus:
Its been so long that I haven't felt a thing
But this October, it finally feels like spring