Week 44 Y 7 Chemistry Class

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

:O

OK im going to try and make some kind of story, because somebody adviced mne to do so :D lol.

Things start slow
when youre in chemistry class
The kinks start to show
when youre sitting dead last

You are over confused
your brain is a mess
Time cannot go
your head cannot rest

The weight of your words
would be the same in the moon
you are your own gravitational pull
when in the hell can I exit this room ?

Its like math with some mass
and liquids and solids
and all them boring labs

The bell finally rings
but you still cant go out
cause the teacher hasnt finished
what she was talking about

The weight of your words

You let out a sigh
but youre not really mad
you proceed to smile
but your not very glad

Five minutes evolve
Into a long dreary mass
Your whole life dissolves
into this one stinkin class

The weight of your words

( this because the equation for weight uses the gravitys force, but since she is her own gravitational pull then the weight would be the same in the moon but Im not sure this would be clear to anybody that didnt know that O_O )

When in the hell can I exit this room...

well that is my draft for chorus.

Dang I really like thinky classes better like English, Spanish (which are bassically the same but in different languages ) History ( which is more like Philosophy :D ) I can get by in Chemistry with A ( hopefully ) but I am not going to enjoy it xD.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

just expressing my hate for chemistry ( Im sorry Ken I just found out you are a Chemistry profesor, lol nothing personal xD ) hmm hate is a harsh word, maybe just expressing my total discomfort in that class, and how long time seems to be in that classroom O_O.
No offense taken.
When I tell people what I do or did, I'm used to them rolling their eyes . . . or telling me the horror stories of their high school chemistry experiences . . . or politely not saying anything about their true disgust with the subject.
. . . and then there's Advanced Placement Chemistry . . . that would fry your brain . . .
I've had students cry during tests . . . some of them guys . . . a sad, sad sight.

The good news is: the teacher won't be teaching math (well, maybe significant digits).
The bad news is: the teacher assumes you already know the math . . . and expects you to use it to solve problems.

Question: Are the classes taught in Spanish or English?

Anyway, back to songmaking . . .
Some good words in this for a chemistry song . . .
dissolving liquid
solids and mass
stinkin' labs and
boring class :mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Coolnama,

Where to go with this is a good question. I think you should definitely do something with it:

What we know:
classes appear slow for you
your brain feels like its being fried in Chemistry class
you don't like math either (actually I liked that verse)
Your teacher has issues with time management
Your empathetic
You tend to focus on this one aspect of your life to the detrement of the rest of your life.

What I would do:
1) Choose from that list the main thing that really bugs me and write a chorus or bridge that sums up my feelings about it.
2) Think about hook line that you can work in there as well, related words that standout like, precipitation or chemical reaction or oxidized.
3) Use the other related ideas to write some verses, 1 point 1 verse that supports the theme of the chorus above.

Read the articles Nick Torres wrote on how to write a song, they are fantastic.

I think there is a good song in here, its just a matter of finding it

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Some excellent advice there.....I'd follow this particular piece from Pbee......"Read the articles Nick Torres wrote on how to write a song, they are fantastic."

Songwriting for Beginners
and
Songwriting for Intermediates.

One point Nick makes is to put together a list of words related to the subject....I did that, and came up with the idea that you might want to compare the Chemistry class (OK, I'm throwing in a little Physics here as well, but it's all science...) to, say, a black hole sucking away your life....normal maths rules don't apply here, minutes=hours and hours=days....or so it seems.

I like the idea of using mass in a physical sense and contrasting it with Mass in a liturgical sense - but you'll have to be a little more descriptive, it didn't really grab me without your explanation.

The song reads to me like you've jotted down a few random thoughts and strung them together in a haphazard fashion.... a little more thought and preparation is needed to put together a convincing scenario. On the plus side, you're aware of your shortcomings, and you're willing to work on them and to ask for - and heed - advice.

In my experience (my own, kids and grandkids) most people of your age who write hate to be critqued - they think they're the finished article, and don't make mistakes. I know I did at that age... :oops: ...so by my reckoning, you're already ahead of the game. Keep writing, and don't be afraid to revise, rework, and rewrite. You're on the right track, you just need to work at your writing like you've worked at your guitar playing.

Suggestion - read those two articles, take the ideas you've already got and set them out a little more coherently. Got a dictionary? Got a Thesaurus? Don't be afraid to use them....but don't overuse them. Rather, use them to add to your existing vocabulary.

All the best!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Good advice from everyone that I certainly could use also. Keep going Cool.

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Lots of advice....I'll just throw in some brainstorming....."Chemistry" can be romantic...like they have good chemistry....so the singer can daydream about a classmate......or gets bored in class and mixes some chemicals and stops time....or can time travel or read others' thoughts.....

NOTE - You can stop reading here if you want, the rest is more about songwriting in general than addressing your song in particular. ....

.....this might be helpful or not, but when I see a new topic, I often do google searches on quotes to see if something is worth exploring.....you could find chemistry quotes or time quotes.....Here are ones I started collecting for this week....I thought I was going to write a song tonight, but I saw so many posts, I figure I better jump in before I can't read them all at one sitting :shock: .....Here is an example of some time quotes as an example:

“Don't count every hour in the day, make every hour in the day count.”

Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you.”

Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you.”

“Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely”
Kay Lyons quotes

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.”

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday”

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”

“If you get up one more time than you fall you will make it through.”

"I cannot promise very much.
I give you the images I know.
Lie still with me and watch.
We laugh and we touch.
I promise you love. Time will not take that away.”

“Time heals what reason cannot”

The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.

Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.

Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.

You must have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by; but some of them are golden only because we let them slip by.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

just expressing my hate for chemistry ( Im sorry Ken I just found out you are a Chemistry profesor, lol nothing personal xD ) hmm hate is a harsh word, maybe just expressing my total discomfort in that class, and how long time seems to be in that classroom O_O.
No offense taken.
When I tell people what I do or did, I'm used to them rolling their eyes . . . or telling me the horror stories of their high school chemistry experiences . . . or politely not saying anything about their true disgust with the subject.
. . . and then there's Advanced Placement Chemistry . . . that would fry your brain . . .
I've had students cry during tests . . . some of them guys . . . a sad, sad sight.

The good news is: the teacher won't be teaching math (well, maybe significant digits).
The bad news is: the teacher assumes you already know the math . . . and expects you to use it to solve problems.

Question: Are the classes taught in Spanish or English?

Anyway, back to songmaking . . .
Some good words in this for a chemistry song . . .
dissolving liquid
solids and mass
stinkin' labs and
boring class :mrgreen:

The classes are in english lol but I have no problem with that, now that I think of it, I dont hate the class or math, I just hate the teacher :twisted: she is evil, and she took away five points off our test today I am not sure why as I had finished and was just laying my head down, sigh!

The song reads to me like you've jotted down a few random thoughts and strung them together in a haphazard fashion.... a little more thought and preparation is needed to put together a convincing scenario. On the plus side, you're aware of your shortcomings, and you're willing to work on them and to ask for - and heed - advice.

Haha that is exactly what I did, I just figured I could just arrange everything later once my rage was subdued :twisted:.
classes appear slow for you
your brain feels like its being fried in Chemistry class
you don't like math either (actually I liked that verse)
Your teacher has issues with time management
Your empathetic
You tend to focus on this one aspect of your life to the detrement of the rest of your life.

Its the teacher.. okay Ill make a chorus about her :D.

And I have read Nicks articles, and its very good, but I dont take my songwriting that seriously just yet, I mean when I write a song I write it directly on here, I just decide like BAM and do it, sometimes I have a melody and chord progression, sometimes I just write whatever comes to mind.

I really really love all your suggestions you guys make me think of stuff I never thought of, but right now I look at my songwriting like a tool of expression, a bit more specific than playing guitar ( which is also a tool of expression ), and I have all that advice stored in my head, and sooner or later when I get around to it I will really internalize everything.

I will sort of organize my songwriting more when its time, not like when I feel like it, just like when I do O_O instead of like pushing myself I try to let myself get there at my own pace, you know what I mean ?

I want to make clear I am really thankful for all the advice, and I like it to keep on coming.

Its like a friend of mine, he draws, and lats night he was trying to draw his girlfriend, he stayed up really late, and the drawing sucked, it looked like The Joker from Batman, but it was because he was like under pressure from himself to do it that he just did that thing, now I just want to keep on doing this until I sort of organize myself, you know what I mean ?

Im usually a strong critic because I can really kinda see where things dont fit ( most of the time, not all the time ) and I can spot cliches from a mile which I think is something normal, but most of my friends use ALOT of cliches in the stuff they write, but dont notice it, I think that is good, but also bad, because Im really self-aware when I write, but Im starting to lose that and just letting myself write ( reason why I posted here in the first place ).

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote