About the things we do or don't
To keep our lives protected

And I wonder why the media
Works so hard to see
That every little issue is
Exploited to dissolve our unity

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice, reads well, good lyrics, good rhythm ....just wondering, how do you see this? ballad? rocker? .......good song, so let us know......

Vic

:) :) :)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey saucy,

i am not really sure how to take this. the song starts off a little slow and i as i was reading the first time had no real idea where it was going, but then by the chrous i was settleing in. but thrown off again with the last two verses. out of the blue there you talk about different perspectives, media, and dissolving unity. it seems like there needs to be more unified. there is some nice rhyme and rhythem going on. i would like to know what the day that he is looking back on is. i would like to have a bit more details here.

good start here. would like to see the revisions.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
 spam
(@spam)
Eminent Member

It seems from the outset that you were writing about a time in the past, but I think the assignment is for a specific time in the past that is historical, not, say "my life in the eighties" without any references to the decade itself.

An extension of this route that you have taken is to make the last verses too personal. No one knows what you're talking about except you. Yes, we can figure it out, but it's not tidy enough...not tied in with the theme of the song enough.

The verse about the differing perspectives...whose perspectives? is it those of people that you know? Common dogma? Media? And why do we have to keep our lives protected? From what? How does that relate to your tale of the relationship that went wrong? What kind of issues are exploited? What does the media want to see (actually the media doesn't "see", it shows)? Don't get it.

Nice rhyming scheme, though, and pretty workable chorus! I think this would have fit better into an assignment about change in general, but regardless, You posted something and I didn't, so good for you!

Spam

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Saucy Jim,

I like this a lot. I think it fits the assignment well. Perhaps September 11th has started slipping into the background in a lot of people's minds, but it's still very vivid in mine. I also thought the last two verses were terrific. I dunno, I thought you provided plenty of clues / hints / information to let the reader or listener know about which day and event you were writing.

As mentioned before, the structure and rhyming are good throughout. And as Vic mentioned, I'd be curious to know what style you were thinking of for this.

Well Done,

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
 spam
(@spam)
Eminent Member

Duh!

I am an idiot. I get it now.

I thought it was about a divorce or something!

(I hope someone out there can see now why I was so confused!)

All the Best
Spam

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

spam don't feel so bad i didn't get it either until i read your last post and then reread the song. it makes more sense to me now.

the song could still be a bit clearer on what it is about.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Jim,

You can pretty much put me down as a Ditto on what Vic and Scratch said. Great song I see it as a country ballad What is your take on it?

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Great piece of writing particularly the chorus which keeps it all together nicely. I think the first verse may change slightly if you get a tune for it (which I'm assuming you haven't at the moment) as it's where I stumbled over the lyrics the most each time I read it.

Good stuff

Bob :)

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote