7 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A Critical Error
Divas in training
Before I Met You

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

(@davidhodge)

Man, where's Nick when you need him??

Divas In Training just sounds right up his alley...

Okay, impressions....

A Critical Error

The cool thing about each of these three titles is that they can be specific, tied to a certain time and place, and general. My first reaction to this one was in the humorous vein, since I'm often talking with my students about the "critical error" in their judgement concerning how to play particular pieces. "That Eb might be better off as a D," that sort of thing. :wink:

Divas in training

I'd have to avoid this one like crazy because it would be so easy to want to write an impassioned protest song about raising one's kids without giving them an ounce of social skills. And I don't think I could pull it off.

Before I Met You

Initial reaction, typically, is to go sweet, but then I also think of the typical "country twist" where my life was actually a lot better off before meeting / knowing whoever "you" may happen to be. Of course, simply deciding who the "you" is can make this totally off the wall. How about Doctor Phil? Tarzan? Mad Eye Mooney? Keith Richards? Lisa Loeb? Mona Lisa? Ooooh, now that's got me thinking again....

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

A Critical Error
Divas in training
Before I Met You

A Critical Error really whetted my appetite. :) Lots of possibilities for something meaty there.

Divas in Training reminded me of all those Idol style programs that I have never got around to watching. So the thought of doing the research by having to watch put me off a bit. Not a TV fan.

Before I Met You had potential. But I feared that it might turn into one of those self absorbed songs that tell you all about the singer's inner feelings, that turn out to be not that interesting or original after all.... It could be a lot of fun to really zing it up and come up with some off the wall stuff that broke that mold though. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hi Kathy,
A Critical Error

Sounds like a Film more than a song to me but let's see where it goes.
Divas in training

Kathy, Annie & Helena by any chance?

Good title could be about watch daughters grow up.
Before I Met You

Somethings are better left unsaid but one's past has a way of haunting them.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

A Critical Error - For some reason I'm hearing The Clash where I think of this title. I think they wrote about a nuclear error in London Calling. but it's stuck in my head and that's what I think of when I hear this title.

Divas In Training - I'll have to come back to this. It could be a song about the color pink???

Before I Met You - this could go any way but I'd probably avoid the obvious. trouble is i think there are two obvious ways to go. You need a third way. Maybe the person in question doesn't actually meet the person he/she is talking about. Maybe they only meet in the first persons mind. Or maybe you could write the song starting at the end of the story instead of from the beginning and the of the story could be something undesirable, like the person is in jail and they're thinking back to their former life of boring stability and wondering why they ever wished for excitement.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Be careful what you ask for....here I am.

hmmmmm, Divas in training....Could they be lesbian divas? No wait that's another song. First impression, it's about mothers in Walmart, with their spoiled rotten children getting everything they want and how they'll grow up just like their diva mothers.....hmmmm "Walmart Divas"

Before I met you....I think of as a list song

I read old letters
smiled at pressed flowers
laughed and cried at pictures
and ticket stubs
and a leaf from a walk in the woods
I threw them all in the fire today
because that....was before I met you

ahhh I don't know. I think it's a happy song though.

ooooh oooooh ooooooh

How about the other way around entirely? It's about how much hope she had before meeting him, and how she thought she found the right one, and she had all these dreams about how perfect things could be but that was before I met you. Now she has nothing left.

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

A Critical Error
This one is a bit sterile for me... I write software for a living, so I see the phrase 'critical error' several times a week. I like the possibilities though. This could span topics from relationships to politics.

Divas in training
My mind went straight to teen girl mall-rats.

Before I Met You
This one has the most potential to me. For one, it's a great hook lyric for song. Also, there are a lot of possibilities.

This also has the most room for producing the same-old-same-old. But I know we here can overcome that :). I liked the one suggestion where the singer has yet to actually meet the person being sung about, perhaps an ideal mate. I've also toyed around with a song about how 'sugar used to be sweeter before I met you' because sugar can't compare. Pure sap, I know.

Another possible direction is to talk about how the other's person's life was before you met like 'before I met you, you used read more books'.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote