7 Users
0 Likes
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Choruses only

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7472315

“Channeling Captain Kirk”
-Warning pseudo names have been given to the aliens and species to protect their inter-galactic rights :lol:

Chorus 1
Channeling Captain Kirk
Our Zerbees are in a quirk
You left Camila in a lurch
Zoranda Zilo just gave birth

Chorus 2
Channeling Captain Kirk
The one who left his yellow shirt
The USS galactic flirt
The Klingons had you nailed, you jerk
=====

“Noqkwivi Burning”

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7472012

Chorus 1
Noqkwivi burning while the village bled
Ambushed at noon and left for dead
Women and children in a ring of fire
Nothing can quench the white man's desire

Chorus 2
Noqkwivi burning into the night
All nature knows that things aren't right
Mother Earth today we died
Guide our spirits to the other side
=====

"Songwriters' Block"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7472003

Chorus 1
Come on down to Songwriters' Block
Prophets and poets rock around the clock
Itching with a rhythm or flirting with a rhyme
Come on down and we'll have a good time

Chorus 2
Come on down to Songwriters' Block
Rhythm and rhyme dance ‘round the clock
Pull up a chair for a drink and sympathy
Not much published but it's fine company

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, first things first - I edited the header, James, to make sure WK 22 was in there......

'part from that, I wouldn't change a thing. Channeling Captain Kirk? The last line's real hold-on-to-your-ribs-you-might
just-crack-one-laughing out loud stuff.

Noqkwivi Burning - true story? I'll have to look it up - looks as powerful as CCK is facetious, though.

Songwriter's Block - got this lovely image of all these wannabee songwriters sat round a table in Greenwich Village - Bob, Lenny, Lou etc.....drunk and stoned. Bob comes up with a chorus and someone says, "What the HELL does that mean?"

Bob says, "It means whatever you want it to mean...."

And someone says, "fine, but what the hell do you mean?"

And Bob says, "I dunno maaaan - it just looked good on paper....."

They're all good!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I agree . . .
they all look good . . . I like Vic's twisted (but very real) interpretation on Songwriter's Block.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Vic,
Channeling Captain Kirk? The last line's real hold-on-to-your-ribs-you-might
just-crack-one-laughing out loud stuff.
Glad you liked it! :mrgreen: There are always at least two points of view to every conflict.....I'm not the first to pick up on Captain Kirk's galatic Casanova angle :lol:
http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Kirks-Guide-Women-Star/dp/1416543155 #
Noqkwivi Burning - true story? I'll have to look it up - looks as powerful as CCK is facetious, though.
Let's say it would fit in the genre of historical fiction. The meal Dylan picked was apparently a Hopi indian dish. The Spaniards seemed to do more of the taking over as apparently there wasn't a lot worth taking over from the "white man's" eyes....and the Navajo seemed to be their worst enemy in a turf war for a long time, but the white man did turn the Grand Canyon [on of their sacred land marks] into a tourist attaction which probably took more than a "please" and "thank you" to accomplish. :roll:

Oh and what does "CCK" mean? :oops:
Songwriter's Block - got this lovely image of all these wannabee songwriters sat round a table in Greenwich Village Yes, I was picturing a place like "Cheers" [the TV show] somewhere in Nashville in an area of town where the non-"A" list songwriters would gather round and do their thing :wink:

Ken,
Thanks for the listen and post :D
James

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It's a very common practice here to "acronymitize" song titles.

Acronymitize (see abbreviate) . . . almost sounds like a Greek philosopher's name.
I think I verbatized a noun.
Oops . . . I think I verbatized another noun . . . verb . . . which is a noun . . . unless you verbatize it.

This is beginning to sound like an Alice in Wonderland monologue.
And I didn't intend to monologutize.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh Ken with avitar of shaded eyes
Thanks so much for the clarifize..... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi James

Nice work on the interpretations.

I knew I could trust you to come up with something about Noqkwivi Burning. You do your homework well...
I can hear Sting singing this to great effect (and you, of course :roll: )

Channeling Captain Kirk

Hmmmm, yes....well done for even attempting it!

Songwriters Block - yup, good.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Dylan,

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

James, I laughed out loud when I got to the final lines of CCK, I was pleasantly surprised with your take on Writer's Block as a place instead of a condition, and being interested in history, Noqkwivi Burning gives me something to look up and learn about.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ernie,

Thanks for the feeback. :D Those were the exact responses I was hoping to trigger!

James

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ernie,

Thanks for the feeback. :D Those were the exact responses I was hoping to trigger!

James

Mission Accomplished, then, James - so far, so good.............

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

Good stuff James. I particularly liked your little twist on the phrase "writer's block". if they ever need a new name for this forum...
Let's say it would fit in the genre of historical fiction

yeah, I was wondering about that, I too looked up noqkwivi to learn it was Hopi, but I always thought the Hopi were pretty peaceful. Surely mistreated and displaced by whitey, but did you find any examples of death and destruction? I'm curious.

Looking forward to the development of the next stage.

Jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Jeremy,
I particularly liked your little twist on the phrase "writer's block". if they ever need a new name for this forum...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
but did you find any examples of death and destruction? I'm curious.
I did not base it on any hard evidence....here was the "proof" I leaned the idea on:

Price, Joan. Truth is a Bright Star. Millbrae: Celestial Arts, 1982.
This novel is a Hopi adventure based on a true incident. Loma, a twelve year old Hopi Indian boy, along with several other Hopi Indian children are attacked and captured by Spanish soldiers. Their adventures begin as they are taken five hundred miles from their peaceful desert village and sold as slaves. Loma is sold to a fur trapper. Understanding and finally friendship develop between the trapper and Loma. A great novel to show students how Native Americans were mistreated and displaced by incoming settlers.
http://www.elmhurst.edu/~susanss/childlit2003/pluto/hopi.html

Mc Lerran, Alice. The Ghost Dance. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1995.
This book illustrates the loss of land, people, food, and culture by encroaching white settlers. The Native American people performed ghosts dances to keep the past alive. They performed these dances in hope that their way of life would return to the ways of their grandfathers. The Ghost dance has an underlying value of commitment to personal integrity and nonviolence, as well as a passionate concern for social and environmental health. The Native Americans believe that by joining together in this sacred dance they could restore what was lost. Their dream and hope was misunderstood and the white man mistook their dance for a war dance.

WARFARE- (Key 240)
- The wars of the White Man are begun for two reasons, defense of one's people and attack for gain. The defense of one's peoples is understandable that need not be addressed. The attack for gain is that which we will address. The white man attacks so as to add to his material world, or to use his own words, for a profit. If there is no profit, war is too costly and will not be pursued. The military-industrial complex is the back-bone of modern white man's world.

Certainly, the history of the American Indian and the white man shows this mentality at its peak. The taking of our lands was solely for the purpose of profit for the new country's powerful elite. New lands meant new chances to generate wealth.

World War II saw deliberate manipulation by the powers that be to force United States involvement. As a result, the United States became the most powerful and technologically rich country in the world. The most recent war, the Vietnam conflict, will ultimately prove to be nothing more than an elaborate cover for drug smuggling and dope peddling. What man's wars are born of greed - not of noble intent. http://tribes.tribe.net/25a1f4a7-b777-4adf-8c62-1f418aaf0d64/photos/7ea1eccb-b731-4ce6-a059-2d4b81e448d9
============
I always thought the Hopi were pretty peaceful.
I would say your thought is pretty accurate.
"Because of their isolation, the Hopi Indians of northeastern Arizona escaped the disruption suffered by most tribes after the arrival of the white man, and they have been able to adapt slowly to American culture."
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2569229

Schecter, Ellen. The Warrior Maiden: A Hopi Legend. Byron Preiss, 1992.
This book is a retelling of a Hopi Indian legend in which a brave Hopi girl helps save her peaceful Pueblo from invading Apache. This book is great for introducing students to the Hopi way of life. Through this book students see that Hopi are peaceful people. Students are also introduced to the Hopi dwelling and the customs of the tribe.

James

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

just need to quickly let you know that I admire the way you make a songwriter's block sound like a good thing, or at least like a lot of fun :D
Not much published but it's fine company :D :D that's the spirit.

so, now I'm off to bed :wink:
goodnight!
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote