Clear all

Y3 W4

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I got 4 words. Gamble, pie, mind and parasite. Gamble, pie and mind sounds like a country and western song. I'm not sure how parasite will make it in this though.

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

I'm not sure how parasite will make it in this though.
If you go the country-redneck route you could make parasite a play on words like Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the…
for example: if the people from Nineveh were Ninevites, and the tribe of Gideon were Gideonites and the tribe of Levi were Levites ....Then the correct Biblical term for people from Paris is Parasites. :P

or
Paras-s-sites (said with a Southern drawl) is Places you can see in Paris like the Elfie Tower and the Louvre :P

or grandma never did understand the word "glasses"....she always called them Pair-a-sights, like a pair-a-jeans. :P

=========
This week I get to wrestle with this fine list: pinup, volcano, wood, oath, and hosepipe :?
=========
An approach I am going to try is one I read about where you do the following:

Find your "Key Words" for the song.....in this case they are provided....

Free write-Brainstorm on each key word for a few minutes to see what your "unique" perspective on life surfaces.....focus on sensory details.....

Find rhyming words for the key words that look like they could fit into a topic....

Arrange the key words and rhyming words in a pattern like aabb or abab etc for the verses and/or chorus.
The idea is the rhymes make an outline for a song idea.....

Then you just go back and fill-in the story....

Let the story dictate the style of song and genre for best prosody......

....easy peasy lemon squeezy simple!!! :mrgreen:

Well that's how it's supposed to work :roll: I'll give it a go and see what happens :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I like your Foxworthy idea. I was trying to rhyme pair of dice with a gambling parasite. Looks like you may have a good strategy for writing the song. I usually start by searching out different definitions and contexts for the same word.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I started a childrens song that went

Parasite Pete was peering at my pies
Peering at my pies

and so on. I can't see me ever singing this anywhere. Too much work going on with the Holiday and busy clients. No song for this week. I fold.

I want to write a Christmas song but don't know when I'll get time for it.

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the insight James. I'll give it a shot. Actually I came up with a couple of verses and a chorus with 3 of my words and now am dealing with "sausage". :o

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

I can't see me ever singing this anywhere.
Try not let that mind set sink in too deeply.

One thing I've been learning through the weekly assignments is there is always something to learn; even if the song doesn't work out well as a whole, you gather little nuggets of information along the way which you can later apply to other songs you would perform or feel more passionate about...
.....Even if you have an assumption that "This topic or chord progression or song idea....is going down a dead end"......Go a head and take it all the way to the dead end.....at least you can say, "See, I knew it wouldn't work".....but even if a song was a "flop", there are probably some things you learned through the process that will help in the next go 'round.
Too much work going on with the Holiday and busy clients. No song for this week. I fold.
This is a legitimate statement that needs to be respected. Passion and responsibilities need to strike a balance :wink:
Thanks for the insight James. I'll give it a shot.
It seemed to work ok for me. What I didn't anticipate was how my specific words kept painting a dark song....I really didn't want to write a dark song.....some of "research" revealed some really disturbing real life situations.....there is a lot of messed up stuff out there in the world :cry: ....Anyway, taking my own advice I gave to MrEWorm, even though I never plan to perform the song I wrote, I learned and confirmed some bits of information that will help me improve as a songwriter.
Actually I came up with a couple of verses and a chorus with 3 of my words and now am dealing with "sausage".
Well, I don't envy you, but it will be interesting to see what you come up with :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

I'm pretty much stuck on it. Same thing happened with the Elvis tune. I get a decent verse or two and a chorus or part of one and then stall. I'm still working on the Elvis tune.

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

I'm pretty much stuck on it. Same thing happened with the Elvis tune. I get a decent verse or two and a chorus or part of one and then stall. I'm still working on the Elvis tune.

No reason why you couldn't post up some non-finished material and see if others could give suggestions that might get the ball rolling :wink:

ReplyQuote