Y3week2 "Lonesome cowboy heading home"

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey:)

my inspiration was that great picture leonard cohen made, which is to be seen in the booklet of his 'the essential' album...or look at it here

Lonesome Cowboy heading home

There's something about those old desert movies
You said, something you couldn't quite decipher
Let alone point at
Yet it's there intriguing, making you comfy
And less vulnerable
I've had a good guess but didn't dare reveal
It's sentimental ‘cause they all seem to revolve around you
Lonesome cowboy heading home

You lie in the bedroom on the floor blinking
Through the beams of sunlight between the curtains
Never too mundane
Their silly games you don't recognize
But they're worth a smile

You been around a while singing your songs
I like to listen to you wandering, forget you were already there
1968, already there
Ever heard of selective perception? Well, my
Eyes can do that
Got the hang of it quite quickly
You do not appear younger to my vision just a little blurred
And that's enough

Yet I can't always escape what happens
Whenever I get to see a photograph
Kisses of time have left their scars
The wrinkles undeniable on Polaroid
And it scares me a lot

You dedicate a verse to me
From the bedroom floor
Wonder how you've
Gotten your guitar
You dedicate a verse to me
Saying you're happy at last
Honestly, look at yourself
On that recent photograph

Those sunken lids, those tired eyes

In that pastel pyjama you seem so defenceless to me
If it wasn't totally foolish
I'd ask you to never leave
Just stay around as my companion
And I'll protect you if I can

Sometimes you sit in the rocking chair
On the veranda, always with a pen and
Scrapbook at hand
Though now you look as if you've retired
And don't talk much anymore
Well not that you've ever talked much before
Even with your trembling fingers and that deep bitter voice
I can still see it vividly:
You, the lonesome cowboy riding into the Bordeaux horizon
Lonesome cowboy heading home

:roll: ....I love Leonard........... :lol:
I know this again doesn't look like it will work musically but imagine it with the rhythm of Cohens 'story of isaac'..

scratch, if you read this you might have noticed 'bordeaux horizon'. guess what, that's my way of stealing 'tequila sunrise';) tequila horizon...that would be grand:)

take care
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You are truly a poet!! I have read this four times and and i keep finding new things each time :D :D " Kisses of time have left their scars" and "You do not appear younger to my vision just a little blurred" are great lines :D always look forword to your posts --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Very nice - well up to your usual standard (high)...

there's a couple of things I'd change though..."In that pastel pyjama"...In those pastel pyjamas would sound better.....I don't think the word "pyjama" even exists in the singular form....

and in the last verse, I'd change "Scrapbook" to notebook or notepad....if you're sitting on a chair writing a song, you want a blank page to write on....a scrapbook, by definition, would be full of photos/presscuttings/ reviews etc....

Minor quibbles....apart from them, I'll give it.......

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey blue,

i have to say that even though i didn't totally understand everything in this song, i really enjoyed it. and you know i am not just saying that to be nice. i really mean it. i read a whole lot of lines and knew what they meant. the flow was nice and it didn't seem like anything was forced in it. :D it didn't seem like you were trying so hard in this song.
You do not appear younger to my vision just a little blurred Kisses of time have left their scars great lines here, my favs. something that makes them so good is that they are fairly simple and not over done.

"pastel pyjama" that is one thing that did stand out on the negative side. and the word scrapbook that vic mentioned.

i have to say wonderful job once again. i figured that there would be one day that i would read something of yours and really like it.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

scratch, if you read this you might have noticed 'bordeaux horizon'. guess what, that's my way of stealing 'tequila sunrise' and masterfully pilfered at that. I'll write more, bluenightangel, later in the week. (I hope, work is increasingly crazy this week) But I really like this piece, just need time to digest it some more.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@jamir)
Honorable Member

Hi'a Blue,

You've come a long way since I've been gone....... this is really excellent, and I have been listening to Leonard Cohen the last few weeks so can imagine it well.

Great going

Go well
Ja'mir

I am a cloud within a cloud http://www.justjamir.com

you can hear my songs at :

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21709

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey :)

thank you very much smokindog, you make me blush :wink:

vic, you're right about pyjama, doesn't exist in singular(if my english teacher had seen that...! :lol: ). so it will be 'those pastel pyjamas' then...I'll have a hard time singing this very quickly;)
as for the scrapbook...I didn't say he was writing a song, did I? ok but I basically meant it :D so a scrapbook can't be just a book you put anything into, notes, pictures, whatever...aren't there some blank pages in it? hm...I guess scrapbook just got there because of 'take this waltz' where leonard sings: "And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook..." and I think there was an even better quotation but can't remember now. a pity I'll have to change it, I love the way scrapbook sounds...is there any other word for notebook?
a long-winded way to say, yes I do see where you come from and I agree. I will change it...:( ...I will. :wink:
thanks for pointing those two things out! and thanks for the smileys:)

seems I have to say another thank you;) thanx cheap thrill. glad you like this one, means a lot to me. :D

and thank you scratch :lol:

aaaand thank you Ja'mir:) feels really good that you're back here. nice that you can share my Cohen fascination(he's terrific, isn't he).

to sum my looong post up: thank you all a lot :D appreciate your comments very much.

bluenightangel

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey blue,

let me see if i can help with your little scrapbook delema.

scrapbook
------------

notebook
legal pad
pad
note pad
spiral
composition book
paper
tablet
writting tablet
sketch pad
journal
writting journal
diary
scrap paper

well there you go. that is all i can think of right now. see there are plenty of other ways to say notebook. i kow many of these would never work but at least it can get you thinking.
thanx cheap thrill. glad you like this one, means a lot to me. your very welcome. and you know i would only say it if i meant it. so i have to ask why the change? i mean in the past you said that you try hard to put big words into songs, and there really aren't any SAT words here. :D

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

oh hey, thanks!

I'd like to take 'spiral' but am not that sure everyone would know right away what is meant by it as my dictionary and rhymezone.com both don't have the meaning of a scrapbook for this.
your suggestion 'sketch pad' made me think, doesn't sketchbook exist, looked it up and yes here it is:) so I'll probably take that one, thank you :wink:
so i have to ask why the change? i mean in the past you said that you try hard to put big words into songs, and there really aren't any SAT words here.
I'm quite sure I never said I'd try hard to put big words into songs. I did say that those words just come to my head and they just appear in my songs from time to time without me even realizing it. that might be because English is not my native tongue ... often I'm so in love with how certain words sound or how they look like written on paper, I'm fascinated by them. merely beautiful. I don't know why some of my songs are full of what you call big words and some are free of them...maybe just a matter of how inspired I am at the time(and by whom/what).
so I guess there was no concsious change, really. ah well, I'm not that good at exploring and explaining all this... :wink:

thank you :D
bluenightangel

p.s. and I'm bad at judging my own stuff, I'd have thought you all would say that there is no structure, that it is tangled, whatever...but you like it :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey blue,

i am glad i was able to help you come up with a new word to replace scrapbook.

i understand what were are trying to say about sometimes you think big words and sometimes you don't. it is amazing to me to think that english isn't your native language. you write it so fluently that i don't even think about the fact that you are german.

once again i am glad i could help.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote