Clear all

Y8W14 Bangkok

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

FYI Bangkok has the longest official city name in the world. It is Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit :shock:

Y8W14 Bangkok

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8705629

I live in a city
Made by beautiful hands
I see laid before me
Orchids of Siam

On the side of the road
In the neon lights
From the country side
For the Bangkok nights

I pray in a city
In a land of smiles
In the city of angels
And crocodiles

I live in Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Butterfly awake
The temple bell rings
Oh how sweetly incense burns
Burns on your wings

I walk by faith in a city
Enlightened by the miles
With the smell of jasmine
With a concrete smile

I say goodbye to a city
Sad as I am
I will cherish my days
Forget the nights as best I can
Sawadee

(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Reading the lyrics on the screen, I came to your middle 8 (for want of a better word) and my head fell in my hands, thinking "Oh no, he didn't!" :lol: It's a lyric-reader's worst nightmare ;)

But after hearing the mp3, I've got to say kudos for making that work in a way I never expected. Having a second (Thai-sounding) voice read that part and pasting it into the song as a "found sound" was brilliant.

And you really went to town on the production too - very busy and oriental-sounding. I would have no idea how to start doing that! I couldn't understand all of the singing so you might want to ease back on the vocal effects. But on paper, the verses look good and are very easy to follow yet full of striking imagery. So I don't think you need to change anything here on the writing side.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Bangkok - one of my favourite cities.

For my taste, the effects were overdone, particularly on the voice. The balance was also off, you were too heavy on the music and lost the voice into the background.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I couldn't understand all of the singing so you might want to ease back on the vocal effects.
For my taste, the effects were overdone, particularly on the voice. The balance was also off, you were too heavy on the music and lost the voice into the background.
POOF :mrgreen: ** Updated cleaned up mix a bit :roll: as of 10 PM my Tuesday night

Thanks Martin and Greybeard for the feedback. :D It's quite tricky to manage a mix that will work on various speakers....I am still learning about mixing, but it's a fun journey...too much fun, actually :oops: . I've pulled 2 late nights working on music only to suffer for the lack of sleep during the day :x
Reading the lyrics on the screen, I came to your middle 8 (for want of a better word) and my head fell in my hands, thinking "Oh no, he didn't!" :lol: It's a lyric-reader's worst nightmare ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, don't want to disappoint :wink:
Bangkok - one of my favourite cities.
:wink:

Thanks again, guys, for the listen and posts.

James

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

great take on the assignment!
excuse my late and too brief comment, but rest assured that i am impressed :D

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member