Time to Pony Up, Girls?

106 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, here's the deal.

Over on the Online Jams and Collaborations forum, teams are forming up to do multiple versions of a GN Funk Jam Collaboration......here's the thread:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29231

It's a really cool backing track. A link to hear it and download it is within Bish's first post on the thread. Each segment is about 40 seconds long. (The first segment appears longer due to the count-off)

I'm thinking we should have an all-girl team. Anybody game???

No real time limit so we can take however long we need. I know from my first experience participating in a jam that it would take me several weeks at the very least to work something up to speed. With the holidays coming up we probably won't get our finished product together until sometime after New Year's, but there's no deadline. It's very important to me that it be a no-pressure situation, else it takes away from the fun of it.

It will be a big challenge for me personally, since I'm just not that advanced yet. Not even sure I can pull it off. But it's a real motivator to have a specific project such as this to work on.

What say, ladies??

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm in.

But ... I've been trying to get a ladies collaboration going for almost 2 years now to no avail. There's a female bass player, PRBlack, who has been waiting patiently for other women to agree to collaborate, so I feel confident that she will join in, too.

I may be wrong, but, I feel like our ladies are a little intimidated by our male counterparts and haven't yet developed a thick enough skin to take the criticism. I just wish that they would realize that no one here at GN is going to rag on a thing. They're only going to provide good, positive feedback and encouragement, which can only be a good thing in the long run. And, exercises like these, especially when you're feeding off of someone else, can only improve your playing and your improvisation skills.

So, I agree with Margaret, ladies! It's time to come out into the open and let it be heard!!!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Well being a big fan of Susan Tedeschi, Bonnie Raitt ,Anna Popovic and Melissa Etheridge I think you girls have a really good shot at making the guys eat crow

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Elektrablue, you're right, it can be intimidating. It's just so......PUBLIC! It took me a while to even get up the guts to post the invitation! :lol:

It's not about a competition for me--I am so non-competitive it's a detriment sometimes. Guess I'm chicken of failure.

When it comes to guitar playing, I am the bottom of the bottom, so no one will be eating any bird over anything I can produce, that is a guarantee.

No one I know of will be overly critical, I'm certain of it. In fact, if anyone were to be insensitive in their criticism, I'm fairly confident they'd get a trouncing by some of our brothers hangin' 'round here. 8)

I found everyone to be very encouraging and supportive when I participated in a jam. I see this as a chance for a few of us to have a fun, learning experience. So come on, sistas, let's REPRESENT! :twisted:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great idea Margaret! 8)

Glad to see Elecktrablue is in too. :D

FYI for those who don't know, Margaret has participated in an online jam, (the 1st GN female to do so! 8) ), and survived! :wink: She did a great job. If you missed it, check it out:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=28366

Nothing to fear! 8)

Dan

EDIT:
No one I know of will be overly critical, I'm certain of it. In fact, if anyone were to be insensitive in their criticism, I'm fairly confident they'd get a trouncing by some of our brothers hangin' 'round here.

Oh Yeah! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I'm in.

But ... I've been trying to get a ladies collaboration going for almost 2 years now to no avail. There's a female bass player, PRBlack, who has been waiting patiently for other women to agree to collaborate, so I feel confident that she will join in, too.

I may be wrong, but, I feel like our ladies are a little intimidated by our male counterparts and haven't yet developed a thick enough skin to take the criticism. I just wish that they would realize that no one here at GN is going to rag on a thing. They're only going to provide good, positive feedback and encouragement, which can only be a good thing in the long run. And, exercises like these, especially when you're feeding off of someone else, can only improve your playing and your improvisation skills.

So, I agree with Margaret, ladies! It's time to come out into the open and let it be heard!!!!

Hey, maybe the bassplayer could get something going with a drum machine and get some backing tracks that everyone could play along with. Like a master track or something.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

DemoEtc wrote: Hey, maybe the bassplayer could get something going with a drum machine and get some backing tracks that everyone could play along with. Like a master track or something.

That's something I'd really like to see happening here. Completely original jams, even the BT being original and played by GN'ers.

Heck, we don't need a drum machine, we have at least one drummer kicking around here somewhere...... 8)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hey Ladies,

The guys who participate in these online jams are all true gentlemen.

It's all about making music and having fun. No competition or
big egos to deal with.

Margret and Elecktra need 2 more for their Ladies Only team on this Jam.

Come on and be a part of Guitar Noise History with the first All Female Jam.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Let me try a little PM'ing and see if I can come up with someone. Worth a shot, I guess! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'm in when I get a better computer. I play guitar and now BASS!!!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

pearlthekat wrote: I'm in when I get a better computer.

OK, Pearl!

Can you record with your current computer? It doesn't take a fantastic computer setup to be able to do it. I have a basic model, no fancy soundcards or anything and it works. I believe a Line In jack and the right cord/plug adapter is about all you need.

We can get better technical instructions and details from those who actually speak the language, if needed.

Can we count you in?

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Listen ladies, this is my jam and I will not allow any cheap shots which I know will not be a problem.

Nobody wants to put anyone down, no matter what. You are all safe here. I can pretty much guarantee that. They've never picked on me and you've maybe heard some of my zingers. :oops:

Please come have some fun. This is family, not Woodstock.

And Margaret, please don't say next year. I'm bored already. Let's get this thing running now. (J/K) everyone please take all the time you need. NO TIME CONTSTRAINTS. I'd like to see this continue on indefinitely.

No reason it should end.

I'll be over there waiting.

I'm going to post this over there in the other thread too, just for exposure.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Bish wrote: And Margaret, please don't say next year. I'm bored already. Let's get this thing running now.
Next year is only four weeks away, if you haven't noticed. :lol:

And you won't be bored for long. At least two guys have posted that they already have their parts recorded, so you'll surely have some mixing to do soon, Bish. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I also put the universal (J/K) out there so you wouldn't take me seriously. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

pearlthekat wrote: I'm in when I get a better computer.

OK, Pearl!

Can you record with your current computer? It doesn't take a fantastic computer setup to be able to do it. I have a basic model, no fancy soundcards or anything and it works. I believe a Line In jack and the right cord/plug adapter is about all you need.

We can get better technical instructions and details from those who actually speak the language, if needed.

Can we count you in?

Margaret

I got a PM from Pearlthekat and she said that she will have her new computer in about a month, so that will work out just fine! She has to decide between a Mac and a Dell.

Now we just need one more woman to complete our team!! Come on ladies!!!!!!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8