Notifications
Clear all

Time to Pony Up, Girls?

106 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

We have the trap door ready for anyone who gets out of hand and disrespectful :twisted: This is a pretty cool backing track, I think its really good for about any skill level :D --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I got a PM from Pearlthekat and she said that she will have her new computer in about a month, so that will work out just fine! She has to decide between a Mac and a Dell.

Now we just need one more woman to complete our team!! Come on ladies!!!!!!

Man, talk about lousy choices. No wonder it's taking so long. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to decide on the Mac. A little longer to decide on which one. :wink:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

well, I've pretty much decided on a new MacBook. I just have to pay off some end of year bills that have been piling up and then buy it. I was thinking of something like a Dell because it would be cheaper and maybe more compatible with things on the net.

I've had a lot of computer problems the last year or so and the one i bought used for recording purposes turns out to be way too slow for that purpose. I'd had to upgrade it with so many things that I've decided it's more worth it to just get something new.

Or if anyone has any suggestions on what to get.....

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

well, I've pretty much decided on a new MacBook. I just have to pay off some end of year bills that have been piling up and then buy it. I was thinking of something like a Dell because it would be cheaper and maybe more compatible with things on the net.

I've had a lot of computer problems the last year or so and the one i bought used for recording purposes turns out to be way too slow for that purpose. I'd had to upgrade it with so many things that I've decided it's more worth it to just get something new.

Or if anyone has any suggestions on what to get.....

To sort out this dilemma, are you looking for a notebook or actual desktop PC? In my 17 years of computer experience, it seems like the tide has shifted several times. Currently by today's standards Toshiba notebooks have the highest quality record in the industry. For Desktop PC's HP/Compaq, are currently leading the industry in quality and value. If there is anyway to stay away from the offers you get from mass retailers you do better with your money....in the long run.

I would also recommend internet stores like Tiger-Direct, Insight or CDW. I know there are others and they may offer good deals. I'm the purchaser and decision maker for the acquisition of computer equipment for my company and those 3 players seem to have the largest selection, comparable pricing and good return procedures.

As far as specs, stay away from anything Celeron. Those are budget CPU's and look good in ads but are not good for your personal home experience, as opposed to a hotrod Intel PIV or AMD processors. 512 MB of RAM would be your starting point for RAM. Hopefully your system can support up to 2GB, RAM is fairly cheap right now. You will most likely get enough hard disk space to keep you happy for a few years. And having a decent CD/DVD burner will not inhibit any future burning needs you may have, not to mention an easy and complete backup system.

I hope this gives you some place to start. If you have more questions you can PM me or post a thread somewhere. :wink: :D

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I can vouch for the Compaq's! I have 2 identical Presario's, one for music, one for pictures & video. Haven't had a lick of trouble out of either of them ... ever!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I know the decision's pretty much been made for the MacBook, but I use a little MacMini at work and have had good results over the past year or so. I wanted to use it as an interim, mostly to see if I could make it die before attempting to use it as our fileserver (with Ext FW large cap drive), but...it hasn't failed yet so I'm pretty happy with it.

Have to say though, the first one that shipped actually had something rattling around inside it so I sent it right back, but after that, no problem.

It also has a really neat setup routine when you first plug things in and turn it on. It was made to be a drop-in replacement for any system, PC or Mac, and after it boots it senses what the periferals are and sets itself up for them. For instance it asks you to press certain keys on your keyboard to establish what type and layout your keyboard is, then goes through your other plugins like monitor, etc.

Plus it's got a tiny footprint. I acutally have mine sitting on top of my monitor; people usually think it's an ext drive or burner or something.

But you can get them with Core-Duo, 2Gb ram if you want and a pretty good sized HD. I only got a 40Gb, but I have it hooked up to another 80Gb Fw drive and it works fine.

But the MacBooks are pretty sweet too.

ReplyQuote
(@prblack)
Eminent Member

Did I hear someone was looking for a bass player & fourth member? :D

prblack

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

prblack wrote: Did I hear someone was looking for a bass player & fourth member?
We are looking for a fourth member for the ladies team for the Funk Jam. Not sure about the bass part, though. The backing track is a pre-fab thing and already has the rhythm section laid down.

Here's the link to the thread, and a link to the backing track is in Bish's original post, if you'd like to give it a listen:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29231&start=0

Each team member will have a section approx 40 seconds long to do their thing. Then all four sections are edited in over the backing track to make a complete jam.

I'm not very experienced with these things--it could be that a section of bass solo could fit right in.
Anyone else know if that might work out?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well, being the optimist....I say swung what ya brung, it'll be fun.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@prblack)
Eminent Member

No problem....Margaret....I'll just come up with something on guitar :)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

prblack wrote: No problem....Margaret....I'll just come up with something on guitar
So you do play both. Wonderful!

And welcome aboard!

Now that we have a full roster we need a team name.

Any ideas?

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

prblack wrote: Did I hear someone was looking for a bass player & fourth member?
We are looking for a fourth member for the ladies team for the Funk Jam. Not sure about the bass part, though. The backing track is a pre-fab thing and already has the rhythm section laid down.

I'm not very experienced with these things--it could be that a section of bass solo could fit right in.
Anyone else know if that might work out?

When I first thought of PRBlack and her bass I started hearing this funky bassline in my head. I think she could lay down a bass solo that would work perfectly! What does anyone else think? My vote is for a bass track!!! We need 3 more votes!!!
:D

And a team name.............. hmmmmmmmmmmm .................... how about "Funky Venus"?

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think PR should do whichever she likes, bass or guitar or even both, with her slot.

Let the artist decide, that's my vote. No limits.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Works for me! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 8