Notifications
Clear all

Spelling !!!!

71 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Misspelling drives me crazy too. Seems with the internet, people spell properly less and less. And it's never difficult words too. Another observation, people seem to have a facination with the letter 'a.' I've seen a lot of: feals, neads, definatly, possable and other places as well. Which is weird, because these are all common words. Or things like 'payed' or 'tryed.' Again, very common words.

And yes, the people that do this do have english as their first language. Probably a snob, but meh.
There is also the problem with the word "than", as in "older than" - it is a term of comparison. I see a lot of people using the the word "then", which is a word that, generally describes a sequence of events "Prices were lower then", "The rain stopped and then started again", "We ate, then we started home", "Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother".

"He is older then his brother" is incorrect.

Probably a snob, but meh :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 18/09/2006 3:39 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Be proud to be a pedant. I am. :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 18/09/2006 4:25 pm
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

FYI - I just downloaded Firefox version 2 at home, and it has a web/HTML spell-check built-in. I've posted a few things from home lately and the spell check works on GN posts. A possible solution...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Posted : 19/03/2007 3:09 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

FYI - I just downloaded Firefox version 2 at home, and it has a web/HTML spell-check built-in. I've posted a few things from home lately and the spell check works on GN posts. A possible solution...
Problem is, the folks most bothered by incorrect spellings (and most likely to use a spell checker), are not the ones committing the greatest "offenses."

What bothers me more than spelling errors are the posts which have huge, long paragraphs. Sheesh, people, hit ENTER now and then for the sake of readability.

Also for readability, capitalize "I" and the first word of the sentence, pretty please? :) I understand how these things happen when IM'ing, when the pace of conversation isn't conducive to going back and editing, but posts here are a different story.

I feel like people who insist on NOT using capitals and paragraphs are trying to make some statement about being nonconformist, which is all well and good. But if you want people to read and understand your message, don't annoy them with a distracting delivery.

As always, that's JMHO, as that's all I'm qualified to give.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 19/03/2007 4:07 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Thanks, Margaret! :D Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 19/03/2007 7:52 pm
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

one wrd> Firefox It wil sav u from al ur spelin problimz

Posted : 06/04/2007 5:06 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

No it won't. It uses an American dictionary. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 06/04/2007 8:13 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter

8)

For example UK = Colour............USA = Color :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 06/04/2007 9:40 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

8)

For example UK = Colour............USA = Color :wink:

From the Firefox help tab:

Check my spelling as I type

When this preference is enabled, Firefox will check your spelling
and offer possible corrections as you type in web forms. Note that you
may need to download a dictionary; to do so, right-click on any text field, enable spell checking if necessary, and
then use the provided Languages menu to
download a dictionary.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 06/04/2007 12:47 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I already tried that but the proper english dictionary is not compatible with the latest version of FF. :evil:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 06/04/2007 4:02 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

LOL!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wowzerz....

I read the first page, and darn near fell outta my chair laughin'!!!!

I was a fantastic English student myself. Accelerated English, Gifted Reading....
I could go on, only modesty prevents it. :lol:
Many people think that I should be a professional writer ( I find that funny myself, true none the less)

That doesn't mean that I can spell to save my soul. And I can't.
And yes, I have an "over average" IQ for whatever that means.

My grandma didn't have very good speaking skills and people were always correcting her.... and they KNEW her problem
and that they weren't going to change her. Still, they just couldn't resist.
I knew what she was talking about, why correct her.

Sure, the education system is abhorrid, abysmal even....
Why take it out on them (or us as the case may be)

Haven't any of you "well read" people heard of Jack Kerouac????
C'mon :lol:

I'm usually very tired & multi-tasking (w/my 4 year old)
Sometimes I just don't care. And I type furiously.
We're all friends right?
My girlfriend has a biz degree and a minor in english.
Spelling is her pet peeve.... guess what???? She still loves me, even though I can't spell very well.

My answer to my spelling problem on the days that I care....
Pull up a seperate(sp?) screen with google on it. If I can't spell a word, I google how I spell it and hit search.
If it's spelled wrong it comes up - "did you mean *****"
And there's the correct spelling in an instant.

LOL
Thanks for the laugh everyone :lol: :D :lol:

Ken :wink:

EDIT - Holy Cats!!!!
I've never been in this part before.
These posts are hilarious!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel like I stumbled onto a GN secret place :D

Maybe I should just stay off of these myself :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 21/04/2007 10:20 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

There is another forum I visit which forces all emails and PMs through a spell checker and it is really a pain in the neck. You hit "submit", wait for the spell checker screen to pop up, and then it has anything it doesn't like highlighted.

Problem is, it highlights things that ought to be entered into the spell checker, such as the acronym for the forum's OWN parent organization! So then you have to go through the post and hit ignore for every one of those instances before the post will submit. Grrrr

I hope GN never goes to a system such as that.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 21/04/2007 2:20 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'd like to correct another common mispelling (don't ask why I'm an english snob, I just barely passed it in school). Squire and Squier. Squire is a title from the middle ages usually referring to a landowner or knight descendant. Squier is Fender's cheaper line of guitars.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Posted : 21/04/2007 2:28 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd like to correct another common mispelling (don't ask why I'm an english snob, I just barely passed it in school). Squire and Squier. Squire is a title from the middle ages usually referring to a landowner or knight descendant. Squier is Fender's cheaper line of guitars.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Have you ever seen me spell "Squier" incorrectly when I'm ranting on about how good their guitars are? Inverted snobbery, I know, but meh!

(Sorry - couldn't resist that one!)
Haven't any of you "well read" people heard of Jack Kerouac????....Funny you should mention that, I read "On The Road" when I was about - well, it was a long time ago. If I remember correctly, it was all about the so-called Beatnik Philosophy - it's not a book I recall as a great read, but then, tastes change as you grow older, and I've got it on my list of "Classics to re-visit." I know I've read a lot of authors in the last few years I absolutely hated when I was force-fed them at school - Dickens, Shakespeare, Tolkien and Hardy spring immediately to mind.

My other pet peeve is punctuation - and the one thing that really ticks me off is the aberrant apostrophe. The biggest misuse of it is in the word "it's" - it should only be apostrophised when it's (NOTE CORRECT USAGE!) short for "it is." (Or the various tenses of "it is.") Look at the following sentence......"Rap's on it's way out, it's had it's fifteen minutes." If you get rid of the apostrophes, it'd (short for "it would") read "Rap is on it is way out, it has had it is fifteen minutes." All you have to do is THINK about what you're writing......if you can substitute "it is" (or the correct tense of "it is") for it's, then, yes, you can use an apostrophe. Don't even get me started on the correct usage of commas........!!!!

And who's the idiot who insists on using all those dots to tail off his sentences.......he should be named and shamed........!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/04/2007 8:54 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I've done that before...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 21/04/2007 10:05 pm
Page 4 / 5