Clear all

Blink Of An Eye

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This was inspired by a phrase I used in a conversation with DaveC .....been there, done that........

Blink of an Eye

I've seen everything there is to see,
I've been there I've done that,
Seen the film and I've read the book,
Got the t-shirt and the hat,
I've walked with beggars on dusty roads,
And I've dined with royalty,
But I'd throw it all away in the blink of an eye,
If you were here with me.........

I've seen monsoons in India,
Death Valley USA,
I've been all around the world,
In less than 80 days.......
Seen a shaman dance and make it rain,
Where there's never been rain in history...
If you were still with me..............

I've met statesmen and presidents,
Danced with wolves and walked with kings,
I've seen gorillas in the mist,
Heard whales and dolphins sing.......
I've seen the future mapped out for me,
In the Tarot cards that I drew,
If I still had you........

This took 16 minutes to write.......and I like it!!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@sozay)
Estimable Member

i agree vic, for something that took 16 mins to write its really good! meter and everything are good, i think you finish with the strongest verse as well, imagery-wise. really good writing. lets hear it!

sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@portia)
Reputable Member

Very Clever. I like the way you play with the cliches. And the rhythm of the words carries you along quite nicely. I can't even write a title in 16 minutes, so I'm impressed. :lol:

:) Portia

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Bloody Hell Dave C inspiring, thats a first! - lol

Cool Vic I like it, it's bold and each line is like it's own statement "I have seen the future mapped out for me" - nice work, I like the fact you use strong lines and then turn it around at the end with a softer touch - Excellent work!

*16 minutes - show off!, very jealous and won't buy you that pint now.*

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

14 minutes of that was typing - once I get an idea everything just seems to fall into place........

But I do need inspiration - like last week, couldn't come up with anything for Sunday Songwriters Club.....

Nothing comes to mind this week yet either......If Lennon hadn't already written In My Life............ah well........

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dragona43)
Eminent Member

i like the song...wouldn't change a thing, except the title, i can probably go back and name about six songs with the same title, not to mention one by my brother's band, so I would suggest changing it to something more original, liki If I Could Have You...I don't know you give it a try, good song though :D :shock: :shock:

ie an'tce eakspe igpe atinle!!
the first legal high is spinning around!!

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member

I like it alot, but maybe you could add a bridge or something in there and explain why you want to be with this person, or maybe why that person isn't with you now.

Just to break up the list of things you've done. tell us why you trade it all away.

Good stuff!

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't really like explaining songs, but I thought this was fairly straightforward.......it's basically the story of a guy who's mourning his lost love, or regretting losing the love of his life....he's been to all these cool places, met all these people, had all these thrills - but he'd trade it all away if he could only be back with his lost love,childhood sweetheart, whatever.....the fact that you don't know why they split and you know nothing about her was supposed to convey an element of mystery to the song........

Well that's how I see it........!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh and Dragona, I have always had problems with titles - I always like to use the last line of the chorus if I can, or at least a phrase from the song that actually describes the song.......I really hate writing a song and then having to find a title, using words that aren't actually in the song....I have done it before, but somehow, they never seem to fit.......

I have a theory that titles are like chords, there's only so many ways you can permutate them.......and most of the good ones seem to have been taken..........!!!!

Wrote a song years ago, from the perspective of an old man talking to a young man......it was really my grandad's advice to me, but could I think of a better title than "Old Man"........could I hell! And Neil Young stole that one from me.......well got there first..........

ReplyQuote
(@guy_d)

This is the first time i have seriously ventured into this forum here at guitar niose and after a quick glance I would have to say that Vic writes the best songs I have seen.

I like how it reminds me of the song "hard rains a gonna' fall".

People talk of situations,
Read books, repeat quotations,
Draw conclusions on the wall.

Bob Dylan, Love Minus Zero/No Limit,

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, I've managed to post a (very rough!!!) first version of this at

http://bigvic.dmusic.com/

No vocal as yet - though those who have heard my singing voice (Voice????) - will probably count that as a blessing.........!

:)

ReplyQuote