Clear all

Writers Block

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@b0sendorfer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I haven't written any song or peom for an extremly long time. I have no ideas whatsoever of anything I can make a song out of, and even if I do come up with something it seems horrible. I'm not sure as to why this is happening. Is it because I'm really not feeling any emotions lately, or because I'm not inspired by anything? I would really like some suggestions as to how I can start writing again, because I really love doing it. Thanks a lot in advance. :)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

try just reading over my two links in my signature.

They aren't a step by step, or a how to, but they are chock full of ideas that came from the Sunday Songwriters group.

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey b0sendorfer,

you might want to take a look at the sunday songwritters group forum. that might help you out. each week you get a new topic of what to write about. maybe it will help you narrow in on something to write about.

also just keep writting no matter how horrible you might think it is. you might be suprised just how much other people like what you think is so bad.

hope it helps.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member

Good idea CheapThrill!

Just keep writing and saving everything. Even if it's only a line or two that come to you.

I've got pages and pages of random senteces or single paragraphs that I liked but never know what to do with.

Then some days I go back and read over them and lot's of them can be pieced together to start to form something.

Also, sometimes if I have a melody in my head but not any words...I'll record the melody and just force myself to spit out "something "while it is recording. You'll get tons of garbage and noncoherent thoughts, but every once in a while a brilliant idea will come out.

Just some thoughts!

Don't give up!

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

ReplyQuote
(@b0sendorfer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! I'll take your adivce. :)

ReplyQuote
(@george_)
Eminent Member

Hey! Dont take it so bad. Everybody seem tohave bad times. I fact life is a sequence of good times followed by bad times followed by good times and so on. You got to keep writing, but you also gotta know that songwriting's not something that you can do all the time whenever you want, but whenever you are ready for it. You must be ispired by something to write a real good sonng. Try some kind of change in your routine. In fact a routine is something bad for us songwriters. Try to get out of the mold. Travel - it helps! Take up skiing ... ummm okay okay i went too far. Hope you got what i mean. DIVESITY is the answer to your question.
Just an oppinion.

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

ReplyQuote
(@nitetrapper)
Estimable Member

I go thru stages of writers block all the time.Sometimes its only a week or two.And sometimes its months. I've learned to except it.And never try to force it.I'll just play my guitar or read over lyrics and songs posted on the web It helps keep my mind fresh.I always have a pen and paperon me and recently bought a small recorder.So I'm prepared when the creativity comes back. Always jot down notes.Like the old saying goes if you love something it will come back to you in time.Just by posting here you made a great start. Take care Nite......

lyrics belong in songs, poems bolong in bookstores

ReplyQuote
(@gdjpgr)
Eminent Member

What always works for me....is....well Get DUMPED...may not apply to you..but lol.....i recently got dumped.....and i think i wrote like 6 or so a week and a half.....and prior to them..i hasn't wrote in a good 6 months..

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We all have periods of Writer's Block. What I find, after a long period of not writing any new lyrics - like now - is that all of a sudden I'll find a spark and come up with words for half a dozen songs at once.

Sweat the big stuff - spend the hours working that solo. Don't worry about the words not flowing.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote