Skip to content
Home practice area ...

Notifications
Clear all

Home practice area - what does yours look like?

109 Posts
42 Users
0 Likes
24.9 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

my bedroom is my practice area, and it's small.
there are some books here and there, but the rest of it is just a mess of musical equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

It's very simple here, just a hobby and a pastime, except for solo gigging at either churches or fundraisers and Coffee Houses, majority electric - I pay no attention to 'rules' at acoustic venues, using effects instead. I can't get the family to join me, duo, trio, whatever, though I put them first, as you can see. So this is it, facing the piano is an option if I need to read and learn words by memory. I have a strict requirement about being compact, and most of my amps fit the little space between the outlet and the end of that wall. Daughter sits on my 20 year old Super 60, and it fits too, for the most power that I have. Many of my amps are under 20 watts, and it is the 2 Blues Deluxes that can not fit this area. There is one directly across the room, and I prefer knowing my words and looking out in that direction. :lol:

Set up for business, or maybe just fun, ain't so posed or pretty (IMHO, but I love the way that the little girl grabs any stringed instrument subconsciously in some fingering or curled hand position as if she must, and wants to make noise), we all have to work at it, we all get our cords tangled and tripped on, and I probably have the ZOOM GI somewhere below, with age-old effects stuffed into boxes unused, since put away into storage. But that's all for this area - so small, controls and materials within reach and fairly low sound. If I get called to jam or join a band, it's always somewhere else.

Looking straight across are some acoustics, which I also like to plug in and add all sorts of solo man's color or rhythm with the little, all-in-one ZOOM. Get more comfy here, not work too hard or take it seriously, and loaf or lounge a bit.

My son will not be covered here, he has 2 areas, his room for guitar, organ and trumpet/harmonicas, plus a basement full of synthesizers and electric piano, and more guitars and bass. The eldest daughter in the family can never be found or seen ... only those inbetween. :shock: Good Lord, she's practising her social and photographic skills without end, and on her way again to the Blue Jay's bull pen! :roll:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Moonrider, sweet looking space.
Bluejay, sweet looking daughter.

you two are both blessed.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh! There is a little girl in that picture... I didn't notice that... I was staring at the beautiful guitar! :) (BlueJay... can you go to the "post your gear" thread and give us a list of all your beautiful guitars? wow)

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My practice area is the entire house except for the utility room and the bathroom.

We both play guitar.

But my main practice area is on stage -- after all, if you can't practice on stage, where can you practice? ;)

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Interesting topic, especially since I have been cleaning up and rearranging my music room. It's about 10' x 16' and not suited to much else because of doors and a closet. It has double doors that open to the sun room that a previous owner added on. When it's not too hot, I sometimes drift out there to play. The closet is taken up with coats, Christmas decorations, and other things, so isn't part of my music space.

I have a small couch, coffee table, and end table. The coffee table tends to be piled with music. There's an old keyboard on a computer desk that has a drawer and shelf for lots of music books. My five guitars and one mando usually stay in their cases and those are stashed wherever there's room - on a modified double guitar stand, under the couch, under the coffee table, in a corner. My only recording equipment is a Zoom H2, which takes up no space at all. I play mostly acoustic and have only one tiny practice amp.

Until recently, I would have said that I usually play on the couch with the music on the coffee table. But I'm not so young anymore. I couldn't see the music well and my back would get stiff. So I've started leaving a music stand set up all the time and putting it out of the way against a wall when I'm not using it. I now usually play in an armless straight backed chair and use a footrest to get into a more comfortable playing position.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Like Notes I play all around the house, and out on the verandah too.

But mostly I have a couple of office chairs with no arms (comfortable but also adjustable for height, tilt, angle etc.). One sits in the bedroom next to an assortment of music, and various guitars hanging off the walls, and the other is where I'm typing this now.

Most of the gear has arrived to furnish the fantasy. The packages of talent seem to be held up in the mail somewhere, but the occasional one trickles in now and then... :roll:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Nice that verandah looks like an awesome place to play!

I bet you get really inspired to write stuff out there, the time I took my guitar on a boat trip it was awesome I made up all sorts of crazy madness with augmented chords and the like, very inspirational.

My practice room is a pretty big room where I even take my classes, but mom wants to take it away from me O_O

I used to play in my room but my two sisters sent me to the basement, now I keep my classical in my room and elecric in basement.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

love those second floor studios.
computer, guitars, amps, window with view of tree.
just like mine. :D

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

love those second floor studios.
computer, guitars, amps, window with view of tree.
just like mine. :D
Yeah, except for lugging everything up all the steps! :lol:

Once I clean up the mess in my room, I will post some pics; my wife wouldn't dare let me show anyone this room the way it looks presently! :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I found a good way to carry a guitar in it's case downstairs without banging into to the riser or wall.
carry it backwards. the bottom end forward. this way the weight is to the downstairs. the neck is behind you pointing up and not banging on the stairs.
now an amp is all together different. that is just plain painful.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got three places in the house where I play. One is the home office, where any recording is done as well as learning new songs off the 'Net, etc. This picture is a year old and doesn't include my messy desk & part time footstool. It's a small room, 10' X 11' and is also a huge mess as it's become the one place we sort of put everything as we unclutter the rest of the house. Pictured is my Epi LP and my MIM Keef-o-caster along with a bass amp to the far left and my office rig (boss GT-10 and Fender Champion 30 DSP)

I've got a corner beside the fireplace in our main family room downstairs. U normally play on the recliner right beside this or a couch that sits to the right of where I was standing. The amp is a Fender Super Champ XD and the guitar is my trusty Ibanez GAX-70 that was my real starter guitar. There's also now an EQ pedal on top of the amp, but this was taken before I did that.

My main rig, I guess you'd say, is in a bonus room over the garage. In most houses, this room is like cnev's. In mine, it's 12 X 19. The master bedroom, closet and bath stole some space from it. Oh well. We have crammed a lot into it. Entertainment wall unit, three recliners, my amp, a 5 slot guitar stand, two small end tables, a drum set with stool, a rather large artists' easel with chair and a small table/filing cabinet for art supplies. It's a well used room. :D I don't have a really good shot of the area, but this is the amp with my newest addition from a few months ago.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Man, I love all the shots everyone has posted. Nice to know I'm not the only one with music-space clutter. Lots of nice pictures and a lot of nice looking gear too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great pics Roy. :D

I'm now officially on record as coveting some of your gear, so if you see a truck with Australian number plates backing up to the house then prepare to repel boarders....
I found a good way to carry a guitar in it's case downstairs without banging into to the riser or wall.
carry it backwards. the bottom end forward. this way the weight is to the downstairs. the neck is behind you pointing up and not banging on the stairs.
now an amp is all together different. that is just plain painful.

+1

The stairs up to my 'attic' are narrow (only 2ft wide) and change direction by 180 degrees via a small landing part way up. Who needs to be bothered joining a gym when I can cart this up and down the stairs occasionally instead..... :shock:

Cheers,

Chris

aka Hernia Boy

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

And to mark my 3000th post with a photo...

Here's a corner of the lounge-room with some noise makers in it too.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 8