Notifications
Clear all

String Survey

29 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)

We answer this one a lot.

Electric - Rotosound 10's (in the yellow packaging)

Accoustic - Rotosound Country Gold 11's (Phosphor Bronze)

12-string Accoustic - D'Addario EJ41 Phoshor Bronze X-Light

Nunber 1 Classical - Hannabach 815 Low Tension

Number 2 and number 1 backup Classicals - Augustine Blue

Number 2 backup Classical - D'Addario EJ45 normal tension.

and Martin 80/20 Extra Light on my Backpacker

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Alan , how do you treat it when you bass strings of classical guitar break ? (My 'D' is esp troublesome !!)

Also , on an average , how many months it takes you to change the strings on your classical guitar ?

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I just put some D'Addario Silk&Steel (.11-.47) strings on my accoustic last week. Plays and sounds like a dream.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

On my electric I was using Ernie Ball not even slinky 13's
Switched to GHS 12's then 10's. I was playing drop tuning with the 13's. The point is my neck is fine. I'm going to try the D'Addario 10's next for the electric. Still waiting to pick out acoustic strings.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You all have left the jury out in my head, I've decided to bring the acoustic to guitar center, walk in, and tell them how I want my strings to sound. I want to keep the same size though. So I'll bring it in, why not.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

D'Addario XL 10's...electric....gonna change to 11's as soon as I run out of strings.

D'Addario EXP Phosphor bronze 16's used to use 17's, which sound better.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If you use 16's on the acoustic, instead of trying 11's, try a set of 13's. I most say they did sound nice, but personally my hands couldn't take it.

SRV played the electric with 18's - food for though all you people with 8's and 9's. 13's do make good rock and blues strings.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Alan , how do you treat it when you bass strings of classical guitar break ? (My 'D' is esp troublesome !!)

Also , on an average , how many months it takes you to change the strings on your classical guitar ?

I haven't broken a string for a long time, but when I do then the whole set comes off; not just the broken string. That said, I'm paranoid about it happening - I take three guitars out with me on a Saturday afternoon when I go out to teach my younger students, and I took two to my last couple of exams just in case I did have a string let go.

I restring every three months - I play as much as I can and I find that after that long the strings are shot.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Went to GC today, and Picked up new strings. I decided to go onto MF and find the bestselling acoustic strings and try those first. The actual best seller were some nanoweb strings, which were like 16 dollars a set. Forget that! So I went with the second most popular, the Martin Acoustic SP Phospor Bronze Lights. I'm going to record myself playing the old strings and then playing the new strings, just to hear the difference. For the electric I picked up D'Addario XL 11's. One size up from the GHS Boomer 10's. I might record myself again just to hear the difference. Also picked up a Korg Tuner, because I'm probobly going to sell my Behringer Combo, and because I need something for the acoustic. I'll post those recordings if they work.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

How do i get the old strings out of the bridge? I have these little pegs.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Loosen the old strings, then get your hand into the sound hole and push them up with a nickle or something. If you're lucky they'll fall out, but sometimes they need a little encouragement.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

A pair of wire cutters work well for getting the bridge pins out, just be careful!!

You can also buy a string winder from your GC, They have a tool for removing bridge pins, (its on the part that you put over the tuning key on your guitar.)

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Took a little more force than I was ok with at first, but now the new strings are in the acoustic. The Martin Acoustic SP Phosphor Bronze 12's are nice, but at least right now they are a bit too tinny. I'm going to try D'Addario's next.

On the electric, havn't changed out the strings yet. Might not ever, I'm looking to sell it soon.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

D'Addario XL 9's on my Strat

D'Addario XL 10's on my Tele

Gibson Brite Wires 10's on my LP

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2