Notifications
Clear all

Which do you prefer?

28 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@johnnycobra)
Eminent Member

for long hours of practicing, definitely prefer the electric because it's easier on the hands with lower action and lighter strings.

Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook exposes the Six Biggest Mistakes guitarists make that destroys their progress. Free instant download at StartRocking.com

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Acoustic or Electric

I have been teaching myself to play since the beginning of this year through books and the internet. My buddy lent me an acoustic and an electric for which I bought a small amp. I started with the acoustic, but really wanted to play electric (its sexier) 8) . I have come to find that I like the sound of the acoustic over the electric and find the acoustic easier hit chords on. What is your experience with this subject? Which do you prefer when playing at home.

Thanks, Ray

I started with an acoustic and after awhile decided that I wanted to go electric, well I bought an electric and for the the past few years it only gets used about once a month. I think for an old fart like me acoustic is just way more laid back, and sounds better for my kind of music.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo-child)
Topic starter  

I guess I have turned into an old fart too. :) I prefer the natural sound of an acoustic(today). I find my tastes vary from day to day. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I started with acoustic in my teenage years, then restarted on an electric some 30 years later and know playing both types of guitars. Mainly lead guitar solo on the electric and finger picking chord playing the acoustic.
I like to play both types of guitar and do it equally.
Lead playing on electric with lots of bends gives hard finger tips and Barre chord playing on a steel string acoustic gives strong finger/hands.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

Well I prefer a acoustic but it's probably that I'm used to it not that I dislike electric guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

If pushed for an answer I would have to say electric but it would be a close thing. I play electric far more than my acoustic but I do like to break out the acoustic from time to time and love it. I really should play it a lot more.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I guess I have turned into an old fart too. :) I prefer the natural sound of an acoustic(today). I find my tastes vary from day to day. :lol:
I find that ironic because your username is "Voodoo Child". That's not even Jimi's best song lol

Yea, I only have an electric, so I only play it. My friend had an acoustic and I played it, and it was actually pretty fun. I'll get an acoustic for sure someday, just not anytime soon.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've just spent some cash on some clip-mics so I'm going to try my accoustic through my amp and see what sort of results I can get hee hee

I love electric, and don't forget I'm a classical player too.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo-child)
Topic starter  

I find that ironic because your username is "Voodoo Child". That's not even Jimi's best song lol

Yea, I only have an electric, so I only play it. My friend had an acoustic and I played it, and it was actually pretty fun. I'll get an acoustic for sure someday, just not anytime soon.

My username has nothing to do with Jimi Hendrix or his song. :twisted: :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I play anything that's got strings and is left handed.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

I got an acoustic multi-effect pedal - zoom a2 -
I can fine tune the sound of my acoustic.
and if I attach it to my electric guitar - it turns to be an acoustic guitar.

very cool. this pedal is awsome. had the former 504II pedal which was bad sounding with a lot of hiss.
the new one - a2 - really rocks and is way better.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

That's like asking me to chose between my two daughters.

As Neztok said:
Both of them can be a pain in the arse.

But I love them anyways

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

the acoustic is the best. natural and warm, you don't need anything to play it, just your fingers. it's less forgiving, so it makes your technique cleaner.

they do strengthen your hand, but the BEST way, at least for me, was when i put .13 strgins on my strat. that'll strengthen you hand.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2