Clear all

Out of Commission For A While

46 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My dear old buddy Cally's been ailing for a couple of weeks. Got a blockage in her throat that made her first cough and wheeze, then made it progressively harder to swallow. I was sure the vet wouldn't be able to do anything other than put her down, knew the trip to the vet would terrify her, and just tried to make her as comfortable as possible, as long as she wasn't in too much distress. She usually spends most of her time up the hill at the barn, coming down at mealtimes. She'd been getting weaker, and when she didn't turn up the last two days I felt sure she'd died. Went looking for her yesterday evening, couldn't find her, and figured she'd died hidden in some nook where I couldn't see. Well, this morning to my surprise Cally turned up. Doing very badly. I had to go to a meeting, but came back to take her to the vet and get her put down. She'd tried to go back to the barn. I found her in the grown-up pasture and had to carry her back. Wasn't anything anyone could have done for her, she had a huge cancer in her throat that had just about totally closed it off. I got a very bad cat bite in my slide finger while holding her for the shot. Through and through, felt it scrape bone, I've got punctures over both the flexor and extensor tendons, and arterial blood spurted out. Cat bites are notorious for getting badly infected. All cats carry Pasteurella multocida in their mouths, not something you want infecting tendons, bones or joints. Additionally, this poor cat's breath smelled like rotting flesh this morning. I got WELL inoculated with all the nasty bacteria. So I had to go to the doctor to get a tetanus shot and get put on Augmentin. Now my pinky's swollen, stiff and quite painful. Hard to type with it. Won't be able to play for a while. But at least poor Cally's not suffering anymore. Got to bury her when I get home from work.

RIP, Cally.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 26/08/2008 6:58 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

RIP !

I love cats so I can understand your pain. :(

Posted : 26/08/2008 7:20 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Aw, I am sorry to hear that, Ric. :(
Putting my cat Hobbes down a couple years ago was one of the hardest things I've done so I sympathize with you.

Hope your finger gets better soon, cat bites are nasty. My mother-in-law had one on her hand and her whole arm swelled up. Sounds like you got it taken care of early, though.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 26/08/2008 7:29 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear that.

RIP :(

Posted : 26/08/2008 7:30 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Shoot, Ric. Truly sorry.

Don

Posted : 26/08/2008 7:59 pm
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

:cry: for Cally....

Hope your finger gets better soon Rico

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

Posted : 26/08/2008 8:14 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My sympathies, Ric. I know how hard it is to lose a much-loved pet - my dog was like a member of the family. Couldn't even stay mad at her for long when I tripped over her and fell downstairs, even though that put me out of commission for a while!

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/08/2008 8:16 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Sorry to hear that Ric, I have made the trip out to the garden to bury a family cat on a few occasions now, and know just how hard that is. Hope the hand heals up soon.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 26/08/2008 8:16 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

my concolences Ric. i remember loosing my pet cat of 20 years, that was years ago and i still miss him so i know how you must be feeling - i hope you have lots of fond memories :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 26/08/2008 8:23 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, everyone!

Got to go home and bury her in the rain (it'll soften the ground), and I think I'll try some sliding with my sore finger.

Posted : 26/08/2008 8:28 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear about Cally. :(

We've got five pets buried around the garden now, and it's always sad. At least we get the option to make at easier for them at the end. We seem to still require humans to grind it out to the bitter end, which can be pretty tough too.

I hope the cat bite doesn't give you too much trouble. Maybe you can form a duo with Dogbite?

Cheers, and get better soon,

Chris

Posted : 26/08/2008 9:21 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

R.I.P. Cally

When my daughter was young she got infected from a cat scratch and had
to be put in the hospital on IV penicillin so take care of those wounds.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 26/08/2008 10:10 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear about your cat Ric. Hope your finger heals up soon.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/08/2008 11:02 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Since we're just about under the center of the remains of Tropical Storm Fay, I decided it'd just be too miserable digging this evening. Cally's cooling in the basement in a box.

Posted : 26/08/2008 11:04 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

So sorry to hear it. I know the feeling. I had to put my cat Toby Ann down about 2 1/2 years ago, and I still miss her. She was so sick at the end (chronic renal failure) but she was a trooper. I have her ashes in a little wooden chest in the bedroom, where she liked to be.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 27/08/2008 12:48 am
Page 1 / 4