GN Spring Floydesque Jam - UPDATED

32 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
19.5 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

EDIT: Lots more info now a few posts down, including the backing track for this. Please read and jump on in.

Is Floydesque a word? Maybe not. Vic will suspend my posting rights if it isn't. :lol: :lol:

For the story on how this got started, see this thread: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=47856

In short, a Blues Jam was offered that sort of had a Pink Floyd feel to it. Kalle_In_Sweden had an idea to expand the Pink Floyd scope. I found this idea to be interesting due to my fondness of 'Floyd. We're still unsure exactly what the backing track will be. I'm going to listen to what I have in various files and put something together.

This file will have multiple guitar parts, not no set TAB or anything. You can do the best Pink Floyd style guitar you want or tell the world right here in this space what the guitar part should have sounded like. At any rate, I will get something together in the next few days. Actually, make that today or tomorrow.

Watch this space.

In the mean time, we have a real live Slow Blues in Gm going on. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=47901

This is the group so far that I know wants to do the 'Floyd Jam:
Kalle
Roy

Let me know if you want in!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/03/2010 10:52 am
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Roy
I have done a first version with the signature lick added to the backing track
http://www.box.net/shared/1mi6rrz7fg
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 17/03/2010 6:41 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kalle, that's Sweet! I like it.

I have a 4 or 5 BTs for this song. I'm going to try to blend them tomorrow or this evening. One of them leaves the opening (I think part II+) pretty open for guitar and the other does a better job later on in the song. I don't want to speak too much out of turn before I know for sure, but I'd like to expand the time duration. It sounds like you're into the tune a lot, so this should be fun. Lemme have another day or so to put something together. I like what you did and just want to expand.

Roy

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/03/2010 8:54 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I am finally done with the BT. It took quite a while. All of the backing tracks out there in internet land sound different from one-another, and worse, they all have way too much guitar in certain parts. I was able to find enough guitar-void sections to make this new BT.

I combined various parts from 4 different BTs. The result is based on the classic Pink Floyd song, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (''Shine On" for short). Sometimes it is tightly based and sometimes it is loosely based.

Note for note is NOT required. You're more than welcome to use PF's original recordings as guides for the various sections, and you can certainly go with what they did if you can and it fits. I've described each of the sections below.

Section 1: This is pretty tightly based on 'Shine On, Part II. It's just the organ part. A guitar solo will go over it. I double tracked this one. More up front than original and louder. One track is panned 20% to the right and the other 20% left. It runs from the beginning up until about 2:13. (The same track also helps kick off Section 2 for about 6 seconds)

Section 2-3: This is pretty tightly based on the early portion of 'Shine On, Part III. After about 30 seconds or so. "Section 2" below gets replayed often up until Section 8.

Sections 4-7: This is where I go from Section 2. I could only use a bit of what I had for PF's recorded version of part III and part IV. I decided to just go into the BT used for the other jam. Not all of it though. Just an additional 2:40. This, in a way, takes place of most of 'Shine On's Parts III and IV. It also reduces it by about 1/2.

Sections 8-12: This is more than just tightly based on 'Shine On, Part V. It's neck and neck for most of it. You'll figure it out. It's my worst merging of sections of this whole project. It was so awful that I just did a quick fade out and fade in. That, folks, was an imporvement over anything else I did. That aside, Part V is the first section of Lyrics. Parts V and VII make up all of PF's singing. No singing here, though. I would really like it a lot if someone stepped up and did the melody line on guitar. I closed the whole thing out after 20 seconds of the Sax using the quick fade thing. I think it resolves decently enough.

OK, so the whole thing is 8:10 in length. Only 5mb, though. Not too bad. You can find this BT here.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8924630

Guitar Parts, described as shortly as I could)

Section 1: Intro Solo - 0:01 -> 1:45 ( yashicamat )
Section 2: DONE Ringing Riff - 1:45 -> 3:00 +(approx, stop and re-start at will. Kalle_In_Sweden is doing)
Section 3: Rhythm Riffs - 1:45 -> 2:48 (Roy is doing)
Section 4: DONE BT Lead 1 - 2:48 -> 4:11 (Roy is Doing)
Section 5: BT Rhythm 1 - 2:48 -> 4:11 Roy is Doing (more of a fill, really. "5" chords a time or two per measure is what PF did)
Section 6: DONE BT Lead 2 - 4:14 -> 5:26 (Celt Doing)
Section 7: BT Rhythm 2 - 4:14 -> 5:26 Roy is doing (more of a fill, really. "5" chords a time or two per measure is what PF did)
Section 8: Part V-ish melody 1 - 5:31 -> 6:32 (Joe Hempel is doing)
Section 9: Part V-ish fills 1 - 5:31 -> 6:32 (Roy is doing)
Section 10: DONE Part V-ish Solo - 6:31 -> 6:51 (I know, there is an overlap at beginning....it's correct Roy is doing)
Section 11: Part V-ish melody 2 - 6:51 -> 7:52 (Joe Hempel is doing)
Section 12: DONE Part V-ish outro - 7:51 -> 8:10 ( celt doing Not required, but maybe would be nice. something to go along with sax)

That's 12 Sections. If you see anything I've missed, like an opportunity for additional guitar parts, lemme know.

Pretty agressive project. I've put in a lot of work already. Learning quite a bit again. Well worth the effort. Please join in!!!!

Roy

Posted : 24/03/2010 8:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I pestered Mr Joe Hempel his-self to do the melody lines on guitar for us. It'll be a good test for his new SX. :lol:

Welcome aboard, Joe! 8)

Roy

Posted : 25/03/2010 1:57 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

LOL thanks! Now I don't know which to use, the SX or the Ibanez Artcore....I think the SX will work just fine with this.

Looking forward to messing around with this.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 26/03/2010 2:24 am
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I'd like to do the intro solo please. :) I think stopping at about 1:50ish though is better? I'll listen properly tomorrow.

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Posted : 09/04/2010 4:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'd like to do the intro solo please. :) I think stopping at about 1:50ish though is better? I'll listen properly tomorrow.

All yours, Rob. Still not sure about other one yet.

Roy

Posted : 11/04/2010 1:01 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I renamed "Part" to "Section". Too much ambiguity.

Rob, Section 1 is based on PF's SOYCD, Part II. There are 75 seconds of lead guitar between starting and stopping of the guitar. You've got 105 seconds, but I would like it if you left about 8 to 12 seconds off at the end. It gives that ringing riff that Kalle's doing a little breathing space. That bit of guitar silence is golden, I think.

Thanks! :D :D

Roy

Posted : 11/04/2010 12:43 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hey Roy, any chance those backing tracks were separated into different instruments or are the bass/drums/etc. all 1 track? I'm actually learning this song and thought it would be cool to do the bass for it (since my guitar skills are rusty).

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/04/2010 6:27 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey Roy, any chance those backing tracks were separated into different instruments or are the bass/drums/etc. all 1 track? I'm actually learning this song and thought it would be cool to do the bass for it (since my guitar skills are rusty).
These backing tracks were out of my controls instrument-wise. I butchered together a few to make one that I do have with the fewest guitar parts already being done.

Next time, though. It's not a perfect science, but the Guitar Pro software will play a passable bass and drum line. The keys on the ones I had for this song really stunk, but I've used it for a few other things and the worst bit was still my playing. :) This one needed to be shortened anyhow, and I didn't really want a 13+ minute, 100% true-to-the-original cover song compilation.

Roy

Posted : 11/04/2010 11:31 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Next time, though. It's not a perfect science, but the Guitar Pro software will play a passable bass and drum line. The keys on the ones I had for this song really stunk, but I've used it for a few other things and the worst bit was still my playing. :) This one needed to be shortened anyhow, and I didn't really want a 13+ minute, 100% true-to-the-original cover song compilation.

I figured, it was worth a shot. If you have drums laid out in Guitar Pro, send me the file and I'll run it through Addictive Drums and get a real drum sound. Even if I'm not playing on the jam, it doesn't take long to do at all.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/04/2010 12:06 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Roy

I'll take a stab at parts 6 and 12 (that little end bit).

I haven't been around much and this sounds like fun.

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 17/04/2010 9:01 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hi John, all yours.

That left a couple of fills and one lead. I went ahead and took them. Now it's music time. :)

Roy

Posted : 18/04/2010 12:28 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Sounds Good

I should have something for you soon.

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 18/04/2010 11:21 am