Clear all

Greatest Electric Rock Guitarist

128 Posts
42 Users
0 Likes
19.7 K Views
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

In fact, apart from Van Halen and Keith Richards, I haven't even heard any of them play.

OWA, run, don't walk, to your nearest music store & get some Led Zeppelin!! You gotta hear Jimmy Page!! :lol: :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I woud vote for Phoebe too, but I'll give this guy a vote:

Yes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm quite fond of Stevie Ray Vaughn, he was amazing, I don't think anyway could play the blues like that, its mind-blowing. Mike McCready is pretty great, as is Stone Gossard, Stone on more of a songwriting level, where as mike can wail more. Adam Jones is also amazing, totally revolutionary. Satch has to be there to, techianl wise he's a machine.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

lol er, no Tony Iommi?! The man who invented heavy metal and who churned endless grinding, powerful riffs which influenced every single metal band to come...

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Hey guys,

Well, we all know that when it comes to the most influential guitarist ever, it has to be Andreas Segovia. Hes the ultimate guitar hero and like it or not, no other guitarists (even Halen, Hendrix god bless them) have contributed more to the guitar than him. Why? He created the classical guitar. He made it so the guitar became an accepted classical instrument and he basically created his own style that is still in use and studied as the standard.

Hendrix was more than great (so was Van Halen and Page) and he contributed more to an amplified instrument than anybody before or since. But, Segovia is a true pioneer and a true revolutionary.

Also, since im sure we're gonna have more of these "greatest/most influential guitarist" posts. It is probably best to rank by genre. You simply cant compair guitarists from all different genres.

Greatest blues: Robert Johnson.

Greatest Heavy Metal: Yngwie Malmsteen.

Greatest Rock/Blues: Hendrix

and ect....

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think you have to go by era.

In the 50's it was absolutely Chuck Berry. He was a major influence on the Beatles and especially the Rolling Stones, people are still playing Chuck Berry today whether they know it or not.

In the 60's it was Hendrix. He just took guitar to a new sonic level. He just opened up people's consciousness to see what is truly possible with the electric guitar.

In the 70's it was probably Jimmy Page. He is the master of the riff. He was also very creative and incorporated many different styles into his playing.

In the 80's it had to be Eddie Van Halen. He made tapping popular for sure. And those whistle harmonics. He was one of the first shredders.

In the 90's? Hard to say. Maybe it was Kurt Cobain who brought power chords with distortion back. His style was sort of retro. Sort of a cross between The Who and punk. He led the way for groups like Pearl Jam, Alice and Chains, Soundgarden, and many others.

2000? Maybe Korn with their super low tunings and dissonant chords.

What was great about the 90's was that acoustic guitar came to the forefront in Rock music. Anybody want to talk about who was the most influential acoustic guitarists are??

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I voted "other" because I'm influenced by more then just one genre of music or guitar.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

what can I say, I love hendrix. :D

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Let's not forget that Chuck Berry was influenced by Marty McFly.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

[quote="Wes Inman
In the 90's? Hard to say. Maybe it was Kurt Cobain who brought power chords with distortion back. His style was sort of retro. Sort of a cross between The Who and punk. He led the way for groups like Pearl Jam, Alice and Chains, Soundgarden, and many others.

Man Wes, I have to disagree. Cobain really isn't that great a guitar player. I would say Mike McCready is miles ahead in talent. I mean seriously, Cobain had little consideration for tone, and played the same power chords over and over again, quite poorly. Look at McCready though, Yellow Ledbetter for example. It's an amazing song, that got a lot of people into playing guitar. Nirvana's song that got people into playing guitar, Smells Like Teen Spirit. It can not even compare to YL. Nor can Kurt to many other guitarist from that time..

Dave Matthews also should be noted. He can play amazingly, and few people give him credit.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think debating on who is better is kinda silly. There is too much personal taste involved and different views.

There are people that are just blown away by technical skill on the guitar and that's enough for them. Other people are more into the song itself, the lyrics etc. Neither one is wrong but it does make discussing who is better difficult.

For me, if the song speaks to me then why should I care what the guitarist is doing to play. They could be making notes by skipping rocks across the strings for all I care.

On a side note, I checked out some Led Zepplin, the guitar playing is good but doesn't do much for me.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

On a side note, I checked out some Led Zepplin, the guitar playing is good but doesn't do much for me.

OWA, 40-year olds everywhere are now complaining about "kids these days."

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

hey dude im 20 years old and say the same thing. To me not liking Zep is a sacrilege i dunno how she can live with herself.

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Oh don't get me wrong, from what I can hear, it does seem like it would take a lot of skill to play like that. I don't know, not sure why I don't like it. Maybe the lyrics don't speak to me. Maybe I don't like the tone. It's probably just not my taste is all.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 9