Clear all

Greatest Electric Rock Guitarist

128 Posts
42 Users
0 Likes
19.7 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well , i am sure Hank Marvin of the shadows deserve a place here.

Just listen to the classic fender tone in 'Devil Woman' :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No question all the comments here are based on personal opinion, but I've got to say that Kurt Cobain is another in the long line of musician's who are "legendary" because they died young.

To be quiet honest with you, in my opinion the Foo Fighters put out more complete music than Nirvana did.

Although, I do love "Polly".

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think another thing to consider is Kurt Cobain had a range of talents. Let's not forget, he wasn't just Nirvana's guitarist. He was their guitarist, singer and composed most of the songs as well. As a vocalist, he could sing with a melancolic tone and then go right to primal screams, in the same song! He made powerful lyrics, simplistic but powerful. Lastly, he wrote catchy simple riffs.

You combine all this into a song like Smells Like Teen Spirit and you get a song with a signature hook at the beginning, melancolic verses, and a bridge that just completely explodes into the chorus. All without shredding and only 4 power chords..........amazing when you think about it. Well, that's the reason I love the song anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

you know, whenever anyone mentions Nirvana, they alway mention Smells like teen Spirit and sad to say I have never heard this song even once

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you know, whenever anyone mentions Nirvana, they alway mention Smells like teen Spirit and sad to say I have never heard this song even once

I haven't heard Stairway To Heaven even once, so I think that makes us even.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

you have never heard stairway to heaven? OMG, DO YOU LISTEN TO THE RADIO?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

OWA,

i can't beleive you have never heard stairway to heaven, do you listen to the radio?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I haven't heard Stairway To Heaven even once, so I think that makes us even.
If you've ever walked into a guitar store and there were any guys between 12 and 20 trying out guitars, no matter how mangled and unrecognisable it may have been I would be willing to bet paychecks you've heard it

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Actually when I walked into to the guitar store I was normally the only one trying stuff. The one time someone was playing, they were playing Wherever I May Roam by Metallica. I thought I had heard it but didn't recognize it, because it was in my head, but it turned out to be Lakeside Park by Rush.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

IMO stairway to heaven is too long and too crummy.

I cannot admire people who boast off that they can play 'stairway to heaven' on guitar.

I would percive better value in 'Comfortably Numb'.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

IMO stairway to heaven is too long and too crummy.

I cannot admire people who boast off that they can play 'stairway to heaven' on guitar.

I would percive better value in 'Comfortably Numb'.

:shock: ..... :roll: ....... :twisted: ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit that Stairway has been overplayed..But its a great tune, nothing crummy about it :wink:

Nirvana was pretty cool also IMHO I was working at a place that had the radio on top 40 all the time ...I was so sick of hair bands and corporate sellout rock that I was thinking of shooting my self. Then one night I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit and it was like the 60's all over again...REAL rock :D They had some well written tunes, nice hooks, and It was REAL, not what the freakin record executive wanted them to record!!!! If you like Neil Young's harder edged stuff, you would probably like Nirvana :D ---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Django Reinhardt had little, if any influence, on electric rock guitar.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. BB King and Dickey Betts have both said that they were heavily influenced by Django. I know that BB is blues, but still.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Django Reinhardt had little, if any influence, on electric rock guitar.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. BB King and Dickey Betts have both said that they were heavily influenced by Django. I know that BB is blues, but still.

Les Paul has stated that Django was a major impact on his style.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

As has Carlos Santana, but that still doesn't qualify Django as a rock guitarist, which I believe was the premise of the thread

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Esteban plays A/E does that count?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 9