Clear all

Melody considerations?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When doing this exercise, are people thinking about melody? Or are you just writing lyrics (poetry)?

Thanks!

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but for myself - I usually start with a phrase or line, work out where it's going to go in the song, maybe figure out a melody - I usually have a guitar handy - and go on from there. What I'm looking for is a complete song....I'll usually have a set of complete lyrics and a clear idea of what style it's going to be...

There are no hard and fast rules here, write the way you feel most comfortable - if that happens to be poetry. with no thought of a melody until the lyric's finished, that's cool.... but most of all, enjoy your writing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi redpoint,
there is no expectation on participants to compose any form of music while writing a song that fits the assignment. However some people like myself find it easier to write to a peice of music so I tend to write songs guitar in hand. The real pupose of this forum is to write not to compose.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Redpoint,

I usually have a melody rolling around in my head while I'm working on the lines. I'm not as musically accomplished as most folks in here, so I rarely have a complete song written when I'm done. Usually just the lyrics. But I do have an idea of what it should sound like. Once or twice I've actually picked out the melody on the guitar and wrote it down. (sort of).

So for me, yeah... I'm writing with an idea of the melody, but in the end I can't post it for anyone to hear, as I don't have it written down, or recorded.

Does that make any sense?

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

For me ...

I start playing with ideas for a song along the theme for the assignment thats' why some of my offerings are a bit from left field on occassions .

After I get my mood set for a song it is usually slow picking a couple of chords ( thats all I can do :roll: )

Then that usually dictates the style of music for me , I have tried writing 3 rock and roll songs that might I say were not too bad . But mostly I write ballards ..

Hope that helps

Trev...

ps

I write because I love the journey it can take me on ..

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I can't write without a melody to write to - it just ends up being too rigid structurally and with far too strong a rhyming scheme for my tastes (not that I'm particularly good at writing anyway :)).

Also, without wishing to offend those who do write without melody, I don't consider anything a song until it has a melody - it's poetry until notes are defined in my eyes. But hey, I consider all the 'poetry' around here is better than my 'songs', so rest assured it's no insult :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Usually I write lyrics first and put music to them afterwards. I usually find, at that point, problems with the lyrics tend to resolve themselves more easily.

I have one or two pieces were I've written music first but they're awkward and I'm more comfortable the other way around.

Whatever works for you is usually my advice

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote