Notifications
Clear all

Please help me!!!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@black-rose)
Topic starter  

Hello everybody on this forum who has decided to read my message and hopefully help me :P . Im a 16 year old college student from Manchester, England and ive got a problem. On this college course that im doing one of the classes is music and i like it so much that ive decided to do a BTEC National Dipolma in Music Practice, this is a 2 year course. Ive always wanted to be a musician in my own band as the lead singer/guitarist/songwriter and ive been singing from the age of 3 so i have a very good voice and music is my life. I got a Fender Squier Stratocaster for christmas so im going to get guitar lessons for that and im also going to take some more singing lessons. But the only problem is songwriting. Ive never wrote a song in my life because ive always thought that it was too difficult. Im an absolute beginner at songwriting and probably a late starter for all of this but its my dream. So I need as much help, advice and tips as you lovely people can give to me so i can go on my way to start writing songs. Ive got lots of inspiration for my songs because ive been abused and neglected all of my life and now im in foster care so i want to get my feelings out in a song but i don't know where to start. Please help me!!!

Lots of love Black Rose xXx :twisted:

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There are lots of places, but if you'd like a list of observations made over the course of a year here in the SSG, click on the link in my sig and go to song writing for beginners.

It is only about lyrics, but that's as good a place as any.

Be aware, it isn't a step by step how to, but it should help you start.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Black Rose,

I went and read Nick's article. Lots of good advice in there. I'm pretty good at #37. It says something about rules are meant to be broken.

When I discovered this forum Last August I hadn't written a song in over twenty year. Before that I'd written two or three mostly forgetable songs and a few more poems. I now have a dozen or so songs and two or three works in progress.

So I would say participating in the SSG has been a big help and recomend it as a source of inspiration and support.

Try one of the weekly assignments see what happens. The other songwriting forums here at GN are good also even thought most of my particpation is in the SSG.

Most of all the best advice I can give is do it.Write, Write, Write, Take the Muse out for a ride and see where she takes you. You may be pleasently
surprised.

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

Yes write... write... write.... its great to have a little mini recorder with you so you can keep hooks that come in your head and song ideas that come up...i find it easier especially if i wake up with an idea to have the recorder then to trust myself with just a notebook...have fun ....looking forward to seeing your posts

Play On.....
Joyce

ReplyQuote
(@voodoochild)
Eminent Member

from my experience, the only suggestion i can make is that if you write about a hundred songs (doesn't matter if you think they're not good bcos thats just YOUR opinion); you might possibly get a couple of songs people want to hear.

also try to really find the style any song is written in and either invent your own or derive a unique one from this style.

A handful of quarters, and a naked song, don't answer the question of where we belong.

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

Hey. I'm 17, but still in high school (I guess things are different in England.) And I have written about 30 or so songs. It really depends on what kind of music you want to write. For me, rock and hard rock. Anyway, the first step is to find what inspires you. You have already said that you know what that is, so whenever it does inspire you, write down whatever you feel. It doesn't have to be in a song form, or even sentences. In my classes if I think of a clever line or a catchy chorus I write it down. Then later I can compose it into one of my many unfinished songs. That's my opinion. Post me back or send me a pm. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote