Clear all

SSG Week 20

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This song is for Vic. Whether or not I got his style I guess depends on you.
I haven't written any music, but I think it could go blues or country.

I've Been Dumped by Better Women Than You.

I don't care that it's raining
It suits my mood just fine
It doesn't really matter much
Rain or bright sunshine
It's been a month since you left me
So I guess your gone for true
But I gotta tell ya baby
I've been dumped by better women than you.

It shouldn't be surprising
That we ended up this way
You knew the man I really was
And you married me any way
And now you're just complaining
About everything I'm not
But you seem to have forgotten
When our passion burned red hot

Bridge:
So if you want to hurt me
Get in line
I've been beaten down by some of the best
And I came out doing fine
If you think you'll get my money, honey
Well, heck good luck to you
I got nothing left but my guitar
And this pain you put me through.

I don't care if it's raining
It suits my mood just fine
It really doesn't matter much
Rain or bright sunshine
It's been a month since you left me
So I guess you're gone for true
But I gotta tell ya baby
I've been dumped by better women than you.

Kathy Reichert 3/19/08

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

OMG. This song is totally Vic, too!!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ouch. Ouch. OUCH!

Gone over to the dark side, has Kath, think I.......

All I can say is, if you ever go in for identity theft, some bugger's in BIG trouble - it's like you looked in my diary, threw all the pages in the air and reassembled them into a song....

"It shouldn't be surprising
That we ended up this way
You knew the man I really was
And you married me any way
And now you're just complaining
About everything I'm not
But you seem to have forgotten
When our passion burned red hot"

That's just so unbelievably close to the truth it's scary.........

"If you think you'll get my money, honey
Well, heck good luck to you
I got nothing left but my guitar
And this pain you put me through."

That's pretty close as well...........

And here I was thinking I didn't really have a definable style.....and not only do you copy my non-existent style, you write my life story to boot.....scary's not the word, but it'll do till I think of a better one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Been gone for a year or two, and the first song I check out is this one. Wow.
Kathy, --this is just fantastic. I stumbled over the rhythm a bit, but you know how you meant it to sound. The way I was reading it, the line:

"I've been dumped by better women than you"

Seemed to flow easier as:

"I've been dumped by better than you."

But regardless, this was really a fun read. --thanks.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

OMG. This song is totally Vic, too!!

Great Big Ditto to that!

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry Vic! :oops: I hope you realize it's all in good fun, although the line about "you knew what I was like and you married me anyway" were words picked out of my own memory bank, from a long long long time ago.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

She's a talented songwriter and she's psychic! Man, she must have had a great teacher at some point in her life... :wink:

All joking aside, a very nice take here, Kathy. Instead of thinking country or blues, why not go for early Kinks?

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Dhodge wrote:

She's a talented songwriter and she's psychic! Man, she must have had a great teacher at some point in her life...

The Amazing Kreskin, perhaps?? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Instead of thinking country or blues, why not go for early Kinks?

Or early Beatles, perhaps? I had a go at "early Kinks" but it sounds more Beatles-ish to me......see what you think.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/viclewis/?action=view&current=MOV00091.flv

I had to change very little lyrically - but I did take up Scratchmonkey's point about the "I've been dumped...." line - just seemed to fit better.

Chords were a bit tricky - I tried to do it in A, but C seemed better for my voice - there's just the one tricky change, from G to Ab to Eb and back to G in the bridge, I tried to get around it with a little forward planning but I know I fluffed it in one place....this was a first take, though, I'll try and do it again.

I decided to try this one first rather than Chefie's song because that's the way the coin came down....now then, where's that electric guitar?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That was great, Vic! Definitely an early Beatles feel (the Ab is terrific!) and love the ending.

Only suggestion I'd have is in the bridge, maybe having the first half of it (the "...I came out doing fine..." line) end on the G instead of C. Maybe go from D7 to G. Just a thought.

While I'm thinking of it - kudos to everyone for making this a fun week. It would have been so easy for everyone to decide to wait out until Week 21.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

and love the ending.

I fluffed the C6 chord a little..........
Only suggestion I'd have is in the bridge, maybe having the first half of it (the "...I came out doing fine..." line) end on the G instead of C. Maybe go from D7 to G. Just a thought.

Yeah, the first half of the bridge SHOULD have had the same chords as the second half, with the Ab - Eb - G - G7 run, but somehow I ended up repeating the same chord pattern as the first line....Am, Em, F, C. Ah well - I can always have another go! And I will - I really like this song, and Kath - hope you don't mind if I pinch this one......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I'm not really sure the first half of the bridge should have the same chords as the second half. It's the bridge, after all, and you're allowed to have some unstructured fun! Why not give Am - Em - D7 - G a shot and see how you like it?

And, while I can only speak for myself, I know that nothing thrills me quite as much as hearing someone else perform one of my songs. It's such a different excitement from performing it myself and wonderfully satisfying. Kathy will probably be honored that you're doing it!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Bravo Vic! As far as I'm concerned , this song is yours! i do agree with David that you can maybe mix the chords up a bit on the bridge, but I do like your version over all. As I said, I didn't have a melody in mind , but the early Beatles idea has implanted itself.
I've been dumped by better than you- oooooooooo!

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

isn't vic inspiring this week :wink:
when i started writing, i didn't know there were so many songs already for him. well, you're just lucky then, vic. reading your song, kathy, i thought "here she goes, another great one and very vic, too"... much more vic than mine, i guess. :wink:
enjoyed the read!

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote