Clear all

SSG Week 45

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just edited it so take another look through it!

Hey guys and Gals, thought of this one while riding to Glouster, MA. I thinks its got a good idea behind it though it may need some editing. Go ahead and don't feel bad about poking around and criticising it. Although I didn't come from the era of the 60's and 70's I thikns its quite accurate, enjoy!

Back In the Day

(Verse One)
Etched in my mind,
I see them so clearly,
Yet so far back in time,
Still part of reality.

(Verse Two)
I remember way back when,
Boston had more than a feeling,
Zeppelin went to heaven,
Hendrix had his haze,
The who were the wizards,
They all got me through the days.

(Bridge)
The best of them all,
Oh, yes I'd have to say,
Four lads from Liverpool,
Still are the best today.

(Verse Three)
Sgt. Pepper and his band,
Played along with their lonely hearts,
Billy Shears has us sing along,
To their music we clapped our hands.

(Chorus One)
The music back in the day.
Was nothing like today,
Talent grazed free,
Across the pastures of the sea.

(Verse Two)
I remember way back when,
Zeppelin went to heaven,
Hendrix had his haze,
They all got me through the days.

(Bridge)
The best of them all,
Oh, yes I'd have to say,
Four lads from Liverpool,
Still are the best today.

The two lines At the end of the chorus means the atlantic ocean, hence the british invasion.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

spam
(@spam)
Eminent Member

Great sentiment-full of musical milestones that spans a perfect era of music that influenced us all.

It could work well as a really upbeat song or as an unpredictable twist, to do it in a melancholy way...it's great.

Anyway there are a couple of things that keep it from flowing really well, though: the 3rd verse seems a little redundant, as the preceeding section and the verse immediately after it sum up the message well about the beatles, you already said they are the best, it isn't necessary to flesh it out as much as you did. Maybe a morphing of the two verses (3 and 4)?. The last line, too "pastures of the sea" it's a really cool image, but what does it mean exactly here? Is it a musical reference I don't know of from a song?

Spam

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey bst,

nice little song. i have to agree with spam about mentioning the beatles a bit much. we all know how much you like them.
Zeppelin went to heaven,
Hendrix had his haze,
They all got me through the days
these are my favorite lines in the song. i love the play on words to how you mention the song titles.

sounds like a fun upbeat diddy to me.Talent grazed free,
Across the pastures of the seathese two lines sound a bit out of place. i understand what you are meaning to say but the whole farm reference here doesn't sound right.
over all a good job.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Bstguitarist,

Good take on the era. Although as I rember it Boston didn't come along until after the Beatles had already broken up

I pretty much agree with the things Spam and Cheapthrill said but have a little different take on it. How about getting rid of Chorus One I love the references to B.B. and Eric ( My two personal favorites) but maybe you can save that for a Blues Legends song. Then going full out making this a song the Beatles If you do a rewrite on this might I mention "The Stones got no satisfaction" Good Work

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wow thanks! I pretty much expected you guys to be really criticising it cause I thought that it wasn't going to be very good but only some minor fixes and i think it will be pretty cool, BTW I didn't put anything in chronological order like the boston reference. Just as it came to my head.

Wish I coultd edit more but school started and I havn't had as much time.

bstguitarist
Now I am KB1LQC !!!! (Amatuer Radio)
thanks!

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

ReplyQuote
(@saucyjim)

Good morning. I am just on my way out the door for the day (going to see Dream Theater & Yes in concert!), but wanted to chime in briefly.

The concept is excellent. Some of you have mentioned that this might be an upbeat ditty, but my wife and I agree that because it reflects back on a time when the music was purer, it would work better as a ballad.

Placing the artists and songs in a chronological order might help the flow a bit. In this way you could work the lyrics to start with the Beatles in a sort of seed-planting role, as they laid much of the groundwork for the eras that were to follow. You could then tie them back in at the bridge or the final verse. Of course, this means BB KIng has to go - sorry. He can be used in another song.

All-in-all a good effort. Thank you for allowing me to critique it.

Regards,

Sauce

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

bst,

the whole thing seems a bit off-balance to me. As already mentioned by others. I think you should decide whether you want this to be a tribute to the music of the time, or a tribute to the beatles. As it is, you mention a few bands in passing, and then spend 2 verses and a bridge on the beatles. I think if you opted for one approach, or the other, the whole thing might flow more smoothly. Of course, as always, that's just my $0.02. ymmv.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just edited it so take another look through it!

ReplyQuote
(@voodoochild)
Eminent Member

(Verse Three)
Sgt. Pepper and his band,
Played along with their lonely hearts,
Billy Shears has us sing along,
To their music we clapped our hands.

(Chorus One)
The music back in the day.
Was nothing like today,
Talent grazed free,
Across the pastures of the sea.

take a good look at this song. you wrote it so you have to tell me if this CAN BE SUNG. i mean you can write whatever you want but if you want to call it a song you gotta be able to sing it. i can not imagining anyone going on stage and singing "To their music we clapped our hands. " that just does not happen ( also, it sounds gay) . And you CANNOT use the word talent in this song. there is no link. you lose the rythm of the song. if the song is about how it makes you feel then by using the word "TALENT" you are making it a technical definition. FIX IT NOW...........

PS: Before you get totally pissed at me... i LOOOOVE the beatles too(although Clapton could have easily replaced LENNON) and the second verse is kinda clever .

A handful of quarters, and a naked song, don't answer the question of where we belong.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This song is sung in an upbeat manner almost like sgn.t peppers lonely hearts club band and yes I can imagine it being sung.

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey bst,

it is nice to see you working hard on making your songs better.

i see that all you did for this song is to repeat verses at the end. i think that this song should be a beatles only song. there would be nothing wrong with writting a song abotu your favorite band. the verses about the beatles are very well written. something else that i think is that you are trying to hang on too much to the second verse. it is a very good and clever and i could see where you would so want to keep it. but it conflicts with all the beatles references. you have to decide if you want to make the song about many different bands or just one.

that is my thought there. would be great either way, just not both ways on one song.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote