Running through the woods; Cold Water
Cold Water; running down the mountain
Running through the woods; Cold Water
Cold Water
Cold Water
Cold Water

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I skipped reading and went straight to the rcording. Couldn't figure out what you were getting at till the end. Great plot twists are not just for Hitchcock and M.Night Shyamalan
:)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Couldn't figure out what you were getting at till the end. Great plot twists are not just for Hitchcock and M.Night Shyamalan
Great! then mission accomplished :P

I was having a bit of trouble getting focused this week. This was a joke my mom emailed me yesterday.

Other ideas I was trying were:

Second Hand - like on a clock or spiritual presence, or something being used, or children getting in the way of the couple, or an affair

Couch surfing- I just heard of the concept yesterday, but a couch could be the thing or focus of the song....and could make for interesting stories

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

James, you had some fun with this one. I know that your inspiration came from a joke, but my impression when I saw the title and again when I listened to the music was that the song "Cool Water" might have been an influence. Here's a link to that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAQwMNXlic

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Very Americana-ish. Kinda reminds of a some of Greg Brown's songs, and the crowd I jam with here :) I generally like the way it flows, a few lead runs may augment. I am wondering about the "are these plates really clean?" hook. It's kind of awkward with the sung emphasis on "these" the first time and "really" the second time. I'm not a grammar expert but it seems the singers concern is with the plate with his food on it. Maybe something like "Is it clean?" and/or"Is this clean"? Maybe add some repetition. Took three listens to (I think) get the dog reference. Still not sure. Just my 2 cents worth of comments, use what helps. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

James, you had some fun with this one.
Yes and no. I feel this type of "joke songs" are tricky to keep the listener's interest without giving away the punch line....but once they know the punch line....do they want to hear it again?.....maybe the market would be more for kids.....kids have a high tolerance for listening to the same material repeated.....I was surprised my own kids like this song a lot.

Regarding "Cool Water", I don't remember hearing it directly, but maybe Bugs Bunny singing it, or maybe on the TV. It reminds me of the kind of shows my parents would have on while we were growing up.......thanks for the link :wink:

I did have an idea that I could put a group of these songs together and call the album/cd "This song is a joke!" :P

Very Americana-ish. Kinda reminds of a some of Greg Brown's songs, and the crowd I jam with here :) I generally like the way it flows, a few lead runs may augment.
It seems to work to only have one aspect of the song be the focus; either the lyrics, beat, or music.....they all need to hold their own, but probably one should be the focus so as not to overload the listener...just a thought....then again, what guitarist turns down a chance to throw in a few lead runs? :wink:
I am wondering about the "are these plates really clean?" hook. It's kind of awkward with the sung emphasis on "these" the first time and "really" the second time. I'm not a grammar expert but it seems the singers concern is with the plate with his food on it. Maybe something like "Is it clean?" and/or"Is this clean"? Maybe add some repetition. Took three listens to (I think) get the dog reference. Still not sure. Just my 2 cents worth of comments, use what helps. :D
I'll think on this a bit to see if there might be some phrasing that helps the clarity of the message.....don't count on many revisions soon...... I'll be playing single parent for a while as my wife is out of the country visiting her mother (for possibly the last time as she, my mother-in-law, is in ICU with siroccos of the liver)

Thanks for the feedback on what worked and didn't for you. :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Slight changes made****

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

:lol:

James thanks for that

Paul :D

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:lol:
Thanks, Paul :wink:

ReplyQuote
 br85
(@br85)
Trusted Member

thats really good james, haunting and funny is a hard one to pull off but i think youve done it man

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Ben :D

ReplyQuote