SSG11 - Week 17 - Portland Exposé

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Apparently cities named Portland are found in Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas. There is also a city named Portland in Australia. This song is about the one in Oregon. Also I chose a random year to protect the innocent :wink: . No time for music this week in fact I nearly bailed completely but I think it’s good just to get something out. Oh and this song has nothing whatsoever to do with the movie.

p.s. my apologies to anyone from Portland OR if I got it wrong.

cheers

Paul

Portland Exposé
© Copyright 2013 Paul Brady

Behold a thousand wonders
the ladies pull the crowd
the giants laid asunder
the men are standing proud

Uptown or downtown
Stumptown or brewtown
This town is their town
and she’s coming up roses

but now the saws are still
and the logs they’ve all gone
from river to the mill
The ladies have withdrawn

Uptown or downtown
Stumptown or brewtown
This town is their town

But still the water flows
the artists ply their craft
The river serves a draught

Uptown or downtown
Stumptown or brewtown
This town is their town

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Paul,
I think it’s good just to get something out.
Agreed :wink:

Good start :D The lyrics have a bouncy upbeat meter to them.

I'm not sure why, but I don't get what the song is about; maybe something implied, or maybe I don't know enough about Portland, but I don't get it; something to do with the logging industry?

Maybe a time frame tied in somewhere might help if this is referring to a specific event or dramatic change to the town.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I visited Portland for a weekend a couple years ago. Very nice city for the folkie. They have lots of places to play. I did an open mic at the Artichoke Cafe and had a blast.

Enjoyed your lyric.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I've been to Portland a few times. I think I get most of it, but I don't get who "the ladies" are.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Hi Paul,

Lots to like here. The verses are the best parts for me. Well written and in an interesting manner. I find a little contradiction between your second and your third verse, or I'm simply just not getting it.
The ladies have withdrawn

Then in your last verse

Not sure how the girls got back in town . . . . . . . or what did I miss?

The chorus . . . . . . not too sure . . . . . first three lines work, coming up roses throws me for some reason. Not sure why,but I was wondering if something like

Uptown or downtown
any part of town will do
this town is their town
to this their hearts remain true

Hope you get time for an MP3. There may be answers to my questions there.

Enjoyed it.

Neil

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the comments.

The song is about the resilience of a town that has undergone lots of change in its history (like most towns I guess). From its logging based past where river boats (the ladies) towed logs (the giants) to the mill. Only to be repaced in time by the railroad, hence the ladies withdraw.
Of course eventually the logging industry declines and gives way to other industries. Including Tourism, the ladies (sternwheelers) come back to ferry tourists up and down the river. The artists are the craft brewers who give Portland it reputation for having the largest number of Craft Breweries than any other city in the world. According to the Oregon Brewers Guild, there is an estimated 159 microbreweries in Oregon (2011).

Oh almost forgot, Portland is also referred to as the "City of Roses".

As for an mp3, not looking good I have too many other things going on at the moment. I saw this song as a slow folky type of song single guitar possibly a harmonica.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Portland is also referred to as the "City of Roses".

Thanks, Paul. That pretty much answers my question. Almost make me want to start drinking more beer, but I think I'm pleasantly doomed to wine country . . . . . .

Neil

ReplyQuote