Clear all

Stranger to the Truth....Week 32

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, haven't written anything for a while....it's been really hectic here, what with looking after the Mrs, buying guitars, planning for Texas etc...

Anyway...bear with me a minute, this is going to be a fairly long preamble, but without it, the song isn't going to make sense...

What I've done here is taken an old song about an ex-girlfriend who was a compulsive liar, and dropped the original chorus,
and added one from a political song/rant about that Thatcher woman....so it's two old songs, one from 1978 (!!!!) and the other
a little more recent ....the "Thatcher" song was originally called "1984 - Room 101"....

The line in the coda, "you've never been true blue" was originally "You've always been true blue"....a reference to Thatcher's Conservative party colours...

Stranger to the Truth

You've got a vivid imagination,
And you're living in a fantasy world,
But I know exactly, what you're thinking,
So don't try lying to me girl,

(Chorus) 'cause I can see through your lies,
Right through to the truth,
I can see through your eyes,
And I can see through you.....

All your promises, and all your wishes,
Bear no relation to reality,
And all your plans and all your schemes,
Are doomed to failure, don't involve me....

(Chorus) 'cause I can see through your lies,
Right through to the truth,
I can see through your eyes,
And I can see through you....

Solo - then repeat chorus, ending on a big power-chord....

Coda.....

Lies come easy to you, It's second nature to you,
You've never been true blue, you're a stranger to the truth....

Anybody else found, it's actually harder re-writing anold song than it is starting from scratch?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

I like this. Would changing
All your promises, and all your wishes,
Bear no relation to reality,

To:

All your promises and all your wishes
Bear no relation to reality
And all your plans and all your schemes
Doomed to failure don't involve me

work or does it change what you're trying to say? It seems to flow better for me but then I haven't heard the music so maybe not. I like it though. I must've dated her granddaughter 'cause I wrote a song called "If I Didn't Love You So," that conveys the same sentiment. Good job.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

Damn quotes!

Maybe it was her daughter. Did the math. Sorry.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic

Nice Job

I love the chorus and the song works without explanation.
I think we all know someone who is "Truth Impaired"

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm....musically speaking, it's a sort of cross between the Stones and AC/DC....sort of start/stop, stuttery jerky hard rock riff with a lot of sus4's thrown in....sort of medium tempo, just a touch faster than "Start me Up".....

if that helps you to visualise it better.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey, nice you could post again :D

I agree with the celt, it does work without explanations, too, although it was interesting to read your preamble;)

I really love these:
You've never been true blue, you're a stranger to the truth....
---
Anybody else found, it's actually harder re-writing anold song than it is starting from scratch? YES! at least most of the time(in my case)... coz I got those pieces I'm not really satisfied with, but when I want to rework/change them I often can't bring myself to do it either because I can't think of anything better or because I'd only make it worse. but I found it is indeed possible for me to do(and get a decent result... remember "record of our failures" from way back?).... so, yes, I know what you mean :wink:

good work :D
cheers,
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm actually quite pleased with this....from a crappy old song from 27 years ago, and a political song from 21 years ago which is no longer relevant (although I suppose it could be relevant to Tony Blur....) I've actually got a half-decent song....

chords are something like this....kept the riff from the original song about the ex-girlfriend.....

(A)You've (Asus4)got (A)a ((Asus4)v(A)ivid i(E)ma(Esus4)gina(E)tion,
(A)But (Asus4)you're living (A)in a (E)fanta(Esus4)sy (E)world,

next two lines follow the same pattern...

then for the chorus.....after a G chord, which is held for a couple of bars...

(G)I can see through your (A)lies,A/G/D
Straight through to the (A)truth,A/G/E
I can (G)see through (A)your eyes,A/G/D
And I can see through (A)you...A/G/E/E7

and for the coda....fingerpicked.....

(A)Lies come (E)easy to (D)you, (A)it's (E)second nature to (D)you,
(A)You've (E)never been true (D)blue, (A)you're a (E)stranger to the (D)
truth,

repeated a couple of times, then a guitar solo over the top of those coda chords.....

Although....these are the original chords, my voice has changed a bit since '78, to keep these chords I'd need a capo at the third fret to change it from A to C....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hey Vic

I like this I found it interesting that it was about a girlfriend who was a liar
and then there mention of that Thatcher woman , is there still old wounds there Vic from both ? :?

The True Blue you mentioned in your pre-amble I found intriguing as over here True Blue is fair dinkum ( down to earth ) would not thought that is how one might describe Mrs T ( I know it was refering to the Blue Party )

But your song a mix of two older pieces seems to flow terrific , I think nearly everyone can relate to your song in some manner . A lost love who hurt you with lies or deception .

Well Done Vic :D

please don't mention that sport being played over in England at the moment , I can't believe the scores . :cry:

Cheers
L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

No mention of C*****t at all LK...

Yeah, I did know that "true blue" in Aussie means "dead straight" or "dead honest"....

And that Thatcher woman was far from either....I'd forgotten all about the old girlfriend, but the Thatcher still rankles...she and her party did more damage to this country than the Luftwaffe did in WW2....we've forgiven the Germans. they're pretty cool these days...but it'll be a cold day in hell before we ever forgive Thatcher...

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Vic had smile on my face from ear to ear reading your reply , ( sorry for mentioning Mrs T ) I was only saying in my usual Australian way that there is alot in common with the two as far as I could see being soo many thousand miles away ( or is it kilometers ? I can't know ) 8)

All a bit of fun on my behalf but your song is really good Vic .
:wink:

L.k :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote