Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Week 20 "The Sea"

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

So I read this weeks topic right when I woke up.. had to get to band practice and an idea sparked in my head. I decided that I'd write this one with the band. We don't ever write together. I usually write and record everything at home then take them the song to learn. But this time I decided to place my faith with them and let them write the music. So once we got together and started playing I told them to go for it and they did. It worked wonderfully. And it was a lot more natural to write rock n' roll in that manner.

The lyrics below are essentially composed of whatever I was talking to myself about on the drive over to pickup my guitarist. I just started muttering this story and writing my thoughts down at stop lights. The bulk of it was done before I got to him and the melody came to me while listening to them jam. All in all it was a unique experience for me.

I thought of the ocean as soon as i read the words "wide-screen". So that's what i wrote on.This song takes on the theme of "desertion' that Bob listed. Its a metaphore for something else entirely I think. I couldn't really tell you what.

The muse is mute. My language is quite a bit different than my usual style here... but

.. without further stalling and babbling....

"The Sea"

As the sunset turns the water red
And the waves crash on the shore
There I am, layed out on the sand
Dressed in you and nothing more.

I found heaven that sweet summer night
But the dream was not to be
I loved you more than life itself
But you only loved the sea

(chorus)
The sea
How I loathe and envy
The sea
And it takes all that i've got in me
Not to decend into the..
the open arms of the sea

And you swore you heard the sirens sing
And the wind whisper your name
Then you went to test the water
And vanished beneath the waves

(chorus)

(bridge)
And if the sea reflects the sky
Then perhaps it may be true..
That the sky reflects the sea..
And so there i'll be
Swimming out to meet you

I'm swimming out to meet you

-Marv

(@Anonymous)

This is real good Marv.  The collaboration worked well.  I'm not sure I'd have had the spine to try it.  

For whatever reason, it reminds me of Kate Chopin's short novel, "The Awakening."  If you've never read it, I think you would like it on several levels.

I can't find anything I'd change.  It's just real good.  Always a pleasure to read your posts.

-- Scratch

ReplyQuote
(@inkpen)
Trusted Member

Hi Marv,

I like your lyric good job. I have a little suggestion for the last verse. Hope you don't mind...

You swore you heard the sirens sing
The wind whisper your name
Entranced you answered the calling
And vanished beneath the waves

keep or sweep
inkpen :)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

This is really good! Are you going to write with your band some more? Wish I could hear the music with it.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

pure mad mental  ;D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey thanks for the comments guys...

Scratch. I'll try to read that book. (and it seems you were right....)

Inkpen.. Thanks for the suggestion.. but I don't think she was "entranced" she was only curious...

Dntal. I don't know if we'll write more together. I imagine we will. We'll probably record this one in the near future so I'll likely have an mp3 to post on here soon.

Dan. Mental eh? Now just imagine being one of people in traffic next to me when I was talking to myself and writing this stuff down on my little notebook balanced on the dashboard while I was trying to drive.

-Marv

ReplyQuote
(@jamir)
Honorable Member

Hi'a Marv,

Your muse is mute???she needs some inspiration and some marvelous optimism like a backing for midnight to get her going.

This is really good, especially like the lines...

There I am, layed out on the sand
Dressed in you and nothing more.

Really really love the imagry here, looking forward to hearing it

Go well my friend
Ja'mir

I am a cloud within a cloud http://www.justjamir.com

you can hear my songs at :

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21709

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

I often wondered where you found thetime to come up with all of your lyrics and now you've given us an insight - driving.  The time I spend in traffic queues will never be wasted again- except I'm usually singing along to the radio at the topof my voice.

Once again this is excellent stuff and I've nothing substantial to add to the comments already made.

Big theme and it works really well.

Keep 'em coming Marv it's always a pleasure.

bob  :)

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I usually come up with the seeds for songs while driving. I spend a lot of time talking to myself. I've never written this much in the car though. I almost always do my writing right here at the computer. "The Sea" is the first time i've used pen and paper to songwrite in years actually. Glad you guys like it. Im hoping to record it with the band tommorow maybe. Now I'm off to work on this weeks task...  If the one in the news letter is correct anyway.

-Marv

ReplyQuote