Week 46--Just Be

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

No mention of Blue Skies here, but I'm assuming that was somewhat metaphorical. Um...and this is the first week since I joined the forum that I didn't write a new song, but I'm swamped, and this song just seemed to fit the theme perfectly so....

Just Be
©2003JKovak

If we could go outside
And sit quietly
Lean back against
Our favorite tree
Watch people go by
No need to speak
If we could

Just be

We'd need no music
Except in our hearts
Sittin' under
Our favorite tree
Watchin' cars go by
Just you and me
If we could

Just be

Don't need to tell me
What's on your mind
Don't need to tell me
What I already know
In your eyes the answers
Aren't hard to find
So whataya say we just go

Outside to our favorite tree
Our favorite tree
To sit quietly
Our favorite tree
Where we don't need to speak
Where we can

Just be

Life can get
So complicated
Never how you want it to be
Till we reach the time
Long awaited
Outside by our tree

The cares of the world
Gone for now
As we sit outside
Just you and me
We'll find solutions
No matter how
For right now let's

Just be

Just be
Just be
Just be
Just be
Just be

Just be
Just you and me
Just be
By our favorite tree
Just be
Just be
Just be

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great song again Joe. I agree with your notion that "bue sky" songs don't need to have anything to do with the literal meteorological meaning. The one I'm working on is only loosely connected too.

As with your others it looks like it would be good to sing too.

The only thing that I wondered about was the refrain "just be". It nailed the feeling nicely but seemed uncomfortably close to another well known song:

Let it be
Let it be
Let it be
Let it be

and so on. I guess it needs the music to make it stand away from that other song.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I liked it too!! Sounded country to me, but then again I listen to ALOT of country. Would love to hear your version. I love the theme of "Just Be" and its a blue sky moment that I wish I could participate in more. Seems like me and my lady around always constantly rushing around and we dont get to Just Be often enough.

Great work
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@taver)
Trusted Member

Good song Joe! Just one thing these two lines.

Where we can

It doesnt make sense to me, maybe it's just me being stupid

One day !!
http://www.soundclick.com/taver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhXgRKobGI

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I believe it ties in to the next line:
Where we can

Just be

Take it as a group and it makes perfect sense :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@taver)
Trusted Member

Yes i'm stupid, wasnt reading the song properly :roll: oops

One day !!
http://www.soundclick.com/taver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhXgRKobGI

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Guys. It's not country, although with the way Country's crossed over in the past few years, I suppose it could be if played right (or wrong, depending how you look at it.) Chris, I never thought of it being close to Let It Be, but I'm not too concerned about it, because that would pretty much be the only similarity. A friend once wrote that to me in an email. She was at work, and said, something like, "Wouldn't it be nice if we could just sit outside somewhere under a tree and not speak, just watch people go by...." or something to that effect. Come to think of it, she practically handed me the song on a platter. Her words and sentiment were so inspiring, I wrote them in the time it took to write an email back to her--we were doing rapid emailing rather than IM--and I did the music later when I started playing guitar. It pretty much just wrote itself. Played sort of slow it's got a sort of Sixpence None the Richer sound. Played fast it kind of sounds like a sixtiesish tune--"That Thing You Do." But I suppose it can be just about anything depending how it's played. Even that Humberdink guy could've sang it, hehe. Anyway, thanks again, Guys. Appreciate the kind words. Looking forward to reading yours.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I had kind of a Clapton feel when I was reading it. It was very nice, and it seemed like the music could go many different ways if you ever decide to record it.
Outside to our favorite tree
Our favorite tree
To sit quietly
Our favorite tree
Where we can

I didn't like how this verse flowed, but that's just me. I have no suggestions, so I'll shut up about it now :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris, I never thought of it being close to Let It Be, but I'm not too concerned about it, because that would pretty much be the only similarity.

Joe

I really liked the theme of "just be" - it made a great point really neatly. There's nothing better than putting down all the over-complications and "just being" with someone you care for.

It was really only a visual connection, seeing the chorus written down like that. As you say, the song itself is nothing like Let It Be. That's why I enjoy it when I can listen to the songs here as it makes such a huge difference to how the words come to life, and what they mean.

It was just a sort of random brain connection that came from seeing the words. If I'd heard the song first I don't expect I would have made any link at all. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it - it was just the first thing that my brain grabbed out of the muddy soup of stored past experiences and then tried mentally singing it that way. :?

Liked the theme a lot, and the whole thing of just quietly sitting together. Usually when I read your lyrics the song just automatically sort of sings itself in my head, whereas this one could be treated a number of ways (as you mentioned). So it made me keener than ever to hear it! :D

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Don't worry, Chris, I wasn't offended, or anything. I always appreciate your replies. And, yeah, I'm working on the recording thing. I'm sort of limited on time and even more limited on equipment at the moment. I'm also not as tech savvy as I probably should be for my age, but that's just 'cause I'd rather be outside doing something than sitting in front of a computer. I do have music for all my songs, and eventually I'll try to post some--hopefully sometime in this century.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Joe,
Congratulations, this is a great song. What impresses me most is that I think you've stepped outside your comfort zone a little bit cos the structure of this song is quite different from your others. So well done, cos for me this works well :D . Not sure about the 12 “just be”'s at the end but when its sung who knows.
Cheers
pb

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

I didn't think that it was a man/woman thing going on until I read the last repeating verse, then it all came together and I had to re-read it. Loved it. Great way to get a song, too, by the way! Inspiration comes when least expected. Keep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@manontheside)
Estimable Member

Hey Joe,

I just fought off the urge to continue this reply with "where you going with that gun in your hand..". But I had to write it anyway, I just started wondering how many times you've been greeted here like that.

Ahh, Jimi...
I had kind of a Clapton feel when I was reading it. It was very nice, and it seemed like the music could go many different ways if you ever decide to record it

I agree, but Sixpence sounds great with me. Anyone ever heard "Love"? I love the start. I want a song that starts like that, but then ends up like something I'd make, of course (which would probably be a huge disappointment after -that- start :lol:)

Great job here, Joe. Chris put it nicely,
There's nothing better than putting down all the over-complications and "just being" with someone you care for.

man:)

"I wish there was an over the counter test for my loneliness"

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Guys. Pbee, oddly enough, I wrote this song long before I joined the group (first time I cheated on here, but like I said, it seemed to fit the theme too well, and I was swamped.) You're absolutely right, though. I don't think I have another song written quite the same way. I'll have to check to be sure, but definitely all the ones I've done since I've been on the forum are nothing like it. As for the 12 Just Be's. It's really only 7. The others are my background singers harmonizing, lol. Thanks again, everyone.

Joe

ReplyQuote