SSG WEEK 46 - Why Is The Sky So Blue? - with rough Mp3

21 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

After deciding that I'd try and avoid the stuff about blue skies and bluebirds I remembered a quote from Oscar Wilde's poem The Ballad of Reading Gaol.
I never saw a man who looked
With such a wistful eye
Upon that little tent of blue
That prisoners call the sky.

So I was going to try and write a song about someone dreaming of getting out of prison. But when I sat down to try and do it, something utterly different popped out. Maybe somebody else might like Oscar's theme?

This song uses the words "blue sky" but it's actually about the questions that young kids endlessly pester their parents with. And I do think that kids provide some of life's best "blue sky moments" So here it is.

Click for quick and dirty Mp3

And I do mean a very quick and very dirty first take. Run out of time today. :(

Why Is The Sky So Blue?

Why is the sky so blue Dad
Instead of green or red?
And what's that noise you make with Mum
At night when you go to bed?

How many atoms in a chocolate bar,
And what makes raindrops fall?
Tell me dad, how heavy is pink?
I'm sure that you know it all.

Questions, questions, questions,
It seems they'll never end.
There's nothing like an eight year old
To drive you round the bend.

When you put fuel in the truck Dad
What makes the engine go?
And what did Uncle David mean
When he called Aunt Sue a “Ho”???

What came first the chicken or the egg,
And who invented air?
And why has Mum got bumps in front
But nothing much "down there"?

Questions, questions, questions,
Seems like they'll never end
There's nothing like an eight year old
To drive you round the bend.

Why's my sister such a cow,
When can I drive the car?
And how do you that wobbly walk
When you come home from the bar?

How are little babies made
And why does Gran smell bad?
When I grow up I want to be
As smart as you are Dad

© Chris_C September 2005

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is so CUTE. ROFL Reminds me of my seven year old. He has questions on questions on questions.

I think on this:
Why's my sister such a cow,
When can I drive the car?
And how do you that wobbly walk
When you come home from the bar?

I would have chosen "Why do you do that wobbly walk" but its a preference either/or sort of thing.

Great job, you even sounded more confident on the singing. Sounded terrific for a quick and dirty

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I would have chosen "Why do you do that wobbly walk" but its a preference either/or sort of thing.

Thanks for the comments mate, it was fun to sing. :)

When I wrote it, I did think a bit about "why" or "how" for the wobbly walk, but decided on "how" because it just seemed to me to be the more quirky option. An adult would think "why" but I can see some kids thinking "hey, that looks neat, how do you do that.....". Easy to change though. :)

Glad that you felt that the vocals are getting a fraction better. I think that we'd need pretty sensitive equipment to detect the improvement, but I'm working on it.

ReplyQuote
 Olav
(@olav)
Estimable Member

Chris.
Nice little catchy folky tune. Brought a smile to my face plus brought back a lot of memories. Cant say I would change or add anything .
Blessings. Olav

ReplyQuote
(@taver)
Trusted Member

Great song, good fun, the melody works really well. i've still got all the questions yet to come as the boy is only 18 months old.

One day !!
http://www.soundclick.com/taver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhXgRKobGI

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Nice song man! Something quirky and fun.
When you put fuel in the truck Dad
What makes the engine go?
And what did Uncle David mean
When he called Aunt Sue a “Ho”???

That was my favorite part...mostly because I have a divorced and Susie and Uncle David I think.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

P.S. I may steal your Oscar Wilde idea. It gave me a bit of inspiration.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

That's great, Chris. I got halfway through the song and almost couldn't wait to finish it, to tell you I liked it. So I'm gonna read it again. Brings a lot of really pleasant thoughts to mind, and even made me laugh. Super job.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Chris,
well done mate. Putting the tricky questions at the end of each verse works well. I had a good laugh, of course there always the great standby reply of "go ask your mother.." :shock:

Cant wait to hear it.
cheers
pb

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Chris,

Very Funny stuff in a been there done that sort of way?

I like the Mp3 Your voice fit the material well.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

And what's that noise you make with Mum
At night when you go to bed?
This made me want to keep reading. All of the questions were there, the good and the "You're not old enough to know that" ones. Really liked it! Kep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

hey Chris_C

I like it , this is really good .

by the way just for all and sundry pepper in a bra does nothing but make your wife very very angry because she sneezed all day and thought she was coming down with something so that line in a pevious thread Chris fitted very well . ( I took my responsability that you enstowed upon me very seriously , alot of research went in to it and the findings were all documented and sent to the office of fair trading and the Federal Government just waiting on word to see if funding for this really important trial will come through if not then the testing will have to cease due to the cost of pepper is like every thing else becoming more and more expensive and this surely be the end to this trial if there is no funding in the near future. ) just side tracking though pepper in the wifes knickers only makes her scratch and she will probably kill me now but like I told her it was for a very very important federal government trial to test these things ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

lol

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@manontheside)
Estimable Member

I had a good laugh, of course there always the great standby reply of "go ask your mother.."

:lol:

I can't say I can relate to this yet. Perhaps I need to get me one of these "kids" as you call them.

Too bad you didn't answer that one :roll:

Chris, great job, loved it! Downloaded and playlisted, made me want to jump around and dance!

*dancing*
man:)

"I wish there was an over the counter test for my loneliness"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Too bad you didn't answer that one :roll:

If you kiss girls, they get pregnate DUH.. :lol:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2