week 47 "Hurricane lamp"

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey.

busy week. wrote this monday but didn't find the time to post it, revised today, post finally. originally these two were one song but then I thought they wouldn't fit/would be contradiction...

*Hurricane lamp*

Listen,
I've tried many a time
Send my wildest hurricanes

Said:
"Drag her down to Finland
Or some place full of rain"

That was the mission I gave the winds
Repeatedly they dared failing me
Hell, it can't be so hard to tear
A wallflower from its wall

Reported:
"Never came across anyone suspicious."
They would've missed Cain

But the slow ones gave in to torture
Long session, finally a confession:
"We saw a lady, could that've
Been the one in question?"

Nay, these idiots!
Do it yourself if you really want it done

Now that I've come down to the city
Looking for her myself all over Helsinki
I see I've been miscalculating
She's a hurricane lamp

Like one of these lighters
Which never waver,
Not even under the whirlwind's fire
How could I've known, a hurricane lamp

*Cyclonic chaser*

I'm a cyclone to her
Devastating everything around
Sparing only that girl,
A feast still to come

Well, ha, I thought so
Went in a trail of violent sounds
Wondered why's she no
where to be found?

Meanwhile I realized:

I could be all over the country
Cyclones never reach their centres
As I'm moving on
To get your back down to the ground
You're always gone
Leaving footprints for me to count

It ain't easy for me to admit
But baby, you've been giving me a hard time
It'd be nice if you'd come over
We could talk freely, we'll have some wine
I'd stop chasing shadows
Wouldn't that be sublime?

as always tell me what you think;)
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@sozay)
Estimable Member

nice writing blue,
i liked both of these
That was the mission I gave the winds
Repeatedly they dared failing me
Hell, it can't be so hard to tear

great lines. seems to lose a it of structure towards the end though. and given we never have to worry about hurricanes here, i cant quite figure out how she is like a hurricane lamp? (thats mainly me being ignorant i think :P )

In the 2nd song, my only suggestion would be to have a lok at the line "I'd stop chasing shadows", only because the whole song contains imagery about a storm/cyclone, i think it would be a good to have another image relating to that to tie up the end of the song... if that makes any sense...

anyways, great writing!
sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hi sozay:)

I'm glad you like it(I feel like I'm sinking down a level every week again while the others who post here go up another level :wink: )
given we never have to worry about hurricanes here, i cant quite figure out how she is like a hurricane lamp? we have no hurricanes over here either :wink: it was just supposed to be like 'I've tried to catch her, intimitade her, screw her up(maybe make her mine) but it never worked because she's a strong one(not a wallflower at all...) and won't be giving in(won't waver)=>she's a hurricane lamp'
:))

you're right about the 'chasing shadows' in the second song...bothered me, too...couldn't find something better yet...what are these things called that are often shown in a desert scene in movies or in snoopy comics ? they're round and look like they're dusty tangles of wood and dirt...don't even know the german word for it :? anyway would that fit the song better?

bluenightangel

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

what are these things called that are often shown in a desert scene in movies or in snoopy comics ? they're round and look like they're dusty tangles of wood and dirt..
tumbleweeds. they're actually a type of shrub, that dries up and gets brittle. Eventually, the wind breaks it off at the base, and they roll all over the place, collecting against fences and such.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

You're too critical of yourself bnangel, You're improving every week as well. These lines are brilliant:

it can't be so hard to tear

Kind of thing I wish I'd written.

Hurricane lamp is quite good. It's one of those songs that it takes me a couple reads to get, but your stuff is always like that, and that's not a bad thing. Many of my favorite artists are ones I have to really concentrate on to understand. There's one level of music that makes a decent enough background sound by which you can do other things more pleasantly. There's another level that requires the listener to drop everything else and really concentrate on what's being said, and how, and why. I think that's where a lot of your stuff falls.

Haven't read cyclone yet, but I will.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm definitely with Scratchmonkey on this one.......your lyrics are very deep and take a few reads to absorb......I can always recognise your style instantly.......

Of the two songs, I think I just prefer "Hurricane lamp".......I particularly like the way you throw in lines like

"Nay, these idiots!
Do it yourself if you really want it done"

as a kind of after-thought/aside........yet it's essential to keep the song moving.....

"Cyclonic Chaser" on the other hand, seems like you had too many ideas floating around for one song, it seems to me to be an extension - a "part 2" ,if you like, to "Hurricane Lamp......"

I probably haven't got it yet, I'll have to have another look.......!!!!

:) :) :)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks scratch!....hm...tumbleweed...

'I'd stop chasing tumbleweeds
Wouldn't that be sublime?' ?? :roll: ??

hey scratch... :D ...thank you very much...I'm flattered

hi vic:)
seems to me to be an extension - a "part 2" ,if you like, to "Hurricane Lamp......" yeah as I said they were one song once;))

glad you like the 'nay, these idiots!' part...love expressions like this...always wanted to use some of them but it seldom fits in my songs...;)

thanks again
bluenightangel

ReplyQuote