Clear all

Y7 W39 - Me And Ol' Beelzebub.

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey, if you're going to write about meeting the devil, might as well go with tradition and make it a blues...the story should be pretty familiar. I was messing around earlier with a couple of chords, came up with the line, "Me and the devil, we go back a long way...." and lo and behold, by some weird co-incidence, the Mrs and her daughter were talking about films - one of them said, "What happened to that young lad who played the "Karate Kid?" (There was an ad on the TV for a Stephen Segal film, they got talking about Kung Fu and Karate movies....)

I immediately thought of "Crossroads" when Ralph Macchio became the subject of discussion.......and the brain cells started working. Both of them!

This is a rough first draft....doesn't follow my usual blues pattern, this one's actually got a chorus of sorts....which isn't a I IV V progression, more of a I I V....anyway, this is what I've got so far.

Me And Ol' Beelzebub

Me and ol' Beelzebub, we go back a long way,
Yeah, me and ol' Beelzebub, we go back a long way,
I've had a good long life but it seems like only yesterday....

A crossroads, late at night,
A contract signed in red,
An unholy covenant,
To be redeemed when I'm dead...

Well me and ol' Beelzebub, we kind of drifted away,
Yeah, me and ol' Beelzebub, we kind of drifted away,
But now he's back at my shoulder, to remind me every day,

Of a crossroads, late at night,
An unholy covenant,

Me an ol' Beelzebub, I guess we'll be meeting soon,
Yeah, me an ol' Beelzebub, I guess we'll be meeting soon,
And he'll remind me of a night, under a blood red moon,

And a crossroads, late that night,
And a contract signed in red,
An unholy covenant,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@jamir)
Honorable Member

Hi there Vic,
love the lyrics, but I do not envy you singing the beelzebub in a song .... was trying it out and found it a serious tongue twister for me

Also was it intentional to be in the dead in the first verse and not quite in the next ??? Was just trying to figure out which order all this happened. Still makes sense though !!!! :D

I had a good life ---( presumed , already dead) to ......

I guess we'll be meeting soon ( but not dead yet and not in his company )

To be redeemed (now ) when I'm dead...

I am a cloud within a cloud http://www.justjamir.com

you can hear my songs at :

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21709

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Also was it intentional to be in the dead in the first verse and not quite in the next ??? Was just trying to figure out which order all this happened. Still makes sense though !!!!

Ah, thanks for pointing that out - it's supposed to be kind of a "deathbed confessional" song, and what I SHOULD have put was "I'VE had a good long life" implying the writer's still alive (but only just!)

Edited accordingly!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Vic,

Reads well. :D Yeah, I remember that movie. I think I was just starting to play gtr...ok checked the date...I had been playing a couple years....and it was one of those moments where you want to put down the gtr and never play again b/c you can't imagine ever reaching that level. :cry: Especially the duel at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAJtu2nHLw

I was surprised how many songs are up so quick this week...topic close to many hearts? :shock: :lol: :twisted:

You always tell others to take liberty with making the song work so I didn't mind the singer not being dead yet.

James

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

kung fu and karati... man, I was hoping to see that in the movie... why is it that the devil always sells musicianship in the movies, and never awesome kung fu skills? guess he knows a guy with a violin or guitar can't kick his tail if they want to renege on the deal?

still can't get the Homer Simpson selling his soul for a donut out of my head... "mmm, forbidden donut"

yeah, simple blues song, I see this one being very guitar driven, where's the band? now you had the movie "crossroads" in your head, but I kept thinking of the Clapton song as I read your lyrics to go along...

Jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

Straightforward and, at my age, getting chillingly too close for comfort.... :shock:

They seem like very good lyrics for a blues song, where the story doesn't have to be too intricate, and the key phrases just hammer the mood home. More verses could be added, or not - it probably isn't a big deal either way. The mood of "UH-OH..... the payments are falling due and the dung is about to hit the fan any moment now..." came across well. In fact I think I need to check my moral filing cabinet now, and see if there are any contracts that I've been conveniently overlooking while the years were flying by....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

nice one Vic, yeah I think this might be a little challenging to sing, especially this:
An unholy covenant,

Maybe rephrasing it like

and a contract signed in red,
That unholy covenant,

Other than that looks good, look forward to hearing it.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote