Y7 Week 43 - Face Like Heaven - Dylan Barrett

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

Ok, everyone in the UK might be able to remember the background to this story, those around the rest of the world will have to do their homework....No clues, a bit of artistic licence has been used.....

I'm really pleased with this song. I've even got some chords for it...shock, horror :shock:

Face Like Heaven

(D)Give me a face that (G)looks like (Cadd9)heaven
(D)So I can be around the (Cadd9)stars
(D)Give me a face that (G)looks like (Cadd9)heaven
(D)I want to be at one with (G)Mars(Cadd9)

I'll give you a face that looks like heaven
The wizards work began to flow
I'll give you a face that looks like heaven
The magic needle made her glow

(F)And when she woke up from her (A)dream she gazed upon a heavenly (G)scene(A)
(F)It's what she wanted here on (A)earth a face of stars.... for what it's (G)worth(A)

The Gods weren't pleased with her face like heaven
How could he play this trick on me
She damned the wizard for the face like heaven
His curse is there for all to see

I can break the spell of your face like heaven
Make a wish and the stars will die
But you can't hide from your face like heaven
The stars leave patches in the sky

The wizard done what he was asked she wished for this celestial mask
Can't you see it in her eyes there are not stars but there are lies...

A tear rolls down the face like heaven
But no one listens to her cries
She begged the wizard for a face like heaven
The Gods were fooled now they are wise

Thanks for reading.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Dylan,

Good start :D It reads well. I like the story....a tragedy for sure....but not being UK, I don't have a clue to the reference. :?:

The closest I could come up as far as who your writing about is someone undergoing a botched up plastic surgery. :?

I tried to investigate a bit, but I don't think I got the right girl:
http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelondonpaper/weird/odd-news/a-korean-woman-addicted-to-plastic-surgery-has-been-left-unrecognisable-after-i
http://galleries.thelondonpaper.com/plastic_surgery/1

It looks like you took some liberties with keeping the same point of view, but you've mentioned before that's a low priority.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Nice Dylan. I too am thinking it is someone famous who had a bad facelift.

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm guessing this one
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/5551636/Girl-has-56-stars-tattooed-on-face-after-falling-asleep.html

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Well Ken,

Your girl can always cut back to one star for only $38.99 until the money comes through for the laser removal of the other stars. :wink: http://www.halloweencostumes.com/full-starchild-mask.html

:P
James

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm guessing this one

Well done Ken - how long did it take you?

Anyways, before I go any further, I'm thinking of changing 'wizard' to 'jester' - it fits in well and the guy looks more like a jester than a wizard - whadyatink?

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well done Ken - how long did it take you?
I googled 'girl with star tattoos'. So it took 5.2 seconds.
Anyways, before I go any further, I'm thinking of changing 'wizard' to 'jester' - it fits in well and the guy looks more like a jester than a wizard - whadyatink?
This guy? Calling him a jester . . . is too kind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1193384/What-did-expect-Incredible-face-revealed-man-tattooed-girl-56-stars-asked-three.html

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Dylan,

This is great and thanks to Ken I now understand the story behind it.
I'm thinking of changing 'wizard' to 'jester'
I would leave it as ‘wizard' if it was mine, when I first read it I didn't know the underlying story, and felt that the errant wizard versus God conflict was great, I think changing it to jester will dilute that. Which brings me to the only line that I feel is a little weak:
The Gods were fooled now they are wise
Generally speaking I would have thought that the Gods are always wise but can be mislead by their deceiving staff , so to speak, which is why I think you should leave the Wizard there.
Maybe something like :
But no one listens to her cries
She begged the wizard for a face like heaven
And Wizards are fools to the wise
Its kind of like a summary statement at the end

Cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This guy? Calling him a jester . . . is too kind.

Colourful chap, isn't he? I think Jesters are colourful....
And Wizards are fools to the wisel

Thanks Paul - yes, that's a nice line.

When I refer to the 'Gods' I'm thinking of her parents. They were pretty shocked when they saw what she had done so she blamed the tatooist for the all the stars and said she only wanted three.
They believed her story, but she eventually owned up that she did actually ask for all of the stars, so effectively the Gods were fooled but they are now wise to events....

But I do like your line but it doesn't really sum things up for me? This wizard isn't a fool - he only done what he was asked to do - I can't see your way of thinking, please explain...

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

What I'm trying to say here is that if you didn't know the underlying story it reads like a myth to me. Here we have God who bestows certain powers on his earthly representatives i.e. Wizards. However this Wizard has used his power to create a “Face that looks like Heaven” for a mortal (maybe he was seduced who knows), a direct challenge to his master. So the master casts another spell and the face no longer looks like heaven, the face looks more abused than heavenly (it's a perception thing really). So she's unhappy, and God thinks that the Wizard is a fool for being persuaded to misuse his powers and challenge his creations.

How does that sound, it's a stretch I know but its what I like about this song, it could have another interpretations.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote