Clear all

Year 4, week2 - Photographs

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I didn't think I'd have much to write about this week, after last week's efforts...but after looking through some old photographs yesterday (Remembrance Sunday) and reading Lotto King's song, it all sort of came together....

Photographs (1914/1944/1974)

A faded photograph, in a tarnished frame,
In sepia tones, is all that remains,
Of a young man who stared, defiantly, proudly,
Before going off, to fight for his country.

From the set of his jaw, and the look in his eye,
You could see he was willing to fight and die,
For his unborn children, and his family,
And generations to come, yes for you and me.

Another photograph, in monochrome,
Aproud reminder of another man gone,
Another war, a different time,
Another young man, in his prime,

From the set of his jaw, and the look in his eye,
You could see he was willing to fight and die,

A colour snapshot, from a world at peace,
A young man with long hair, and bell-bottom jeans,
A man at peace with himself and his life,
No wars to fight, no conflict, no strife,

But from the set of his jaw, and the look in his eye,
You can see he'd be willing to fight and die,

Getting the strangest sense of deja vu here....year three, week two, I wrote "That Old Photograph"....year four, week two I write a song about another old photograph....(well, three photographs, in this case!)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic ,

Very interesting 3 photos each 30 years before next.

You could continue this another 30 years but it would tell
a much different story.

I like it the way it is.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I took a couple of liberties with the dates....the photo of my grandad is dated Feb12th, 1916....his 18th Birthday...the one of my dad is dated "Aug '42" so that would be round about the time of his 21st///and the one of me was on my 17th birthday, June 12th 74.....

I just thought the 30 year intervals made a nice symmetrical title....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@manontheside)
Estimable Member

Hey Vic,

I like it a lot! I like how the type of photo is changed. If there was anything to put my finger on it would be that the second verse doesn't really describe the what the photo looks like as well as the others. I can "see" the first and third verse pictures, but the second verse photo is a bit blurry in my head. Maybe switching the two last lines and change the second line to better describe the generation and how he looked.

But it works great as is too :)

Any chords or plans of recording?

:)
-man

"I wish there was an over the counter test for my loneliness"

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

so Vic

what did you think of my little song it has just vanished .... don't know where or whether to re post it ??????

I see we were thinking along the same lines about rememberance day ....

I might have thought this would get you recalling that song you wrote awhile back , which was very good ..

Bell bottom jeans oh my god do they still make them ( lol ) I try to forget the 60 - 70's bad times things that happened should never be seen again unfortunetly it will ....... BELL BOTTOMS WILL RETURN JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER BAD TASTES IN FASHION ........................

Your song has real emotion and paints very vivid pictures , I like it and I just wish I had thought up the next verse

" Another photograph, in monochrome,
Aproud reminder of another man gone,
Another war, a different time,
Another young man, in his prime, "

Just beautiful that's all I can say

well done mate

L.K

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I liked it a LOT, LK...in fact, it was your your post that gave me the idea for this....I posted a reply, obviously that's gone as well...I mentioned that I liked the way you put the little Lawrence Binyon line in, "Age shall not weary them"....I say post it again, too good to leave....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Very good Vic, I can seen the photos sitting on the mantle staring out at me.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Nice one Vic :D ,
I cant see anything that I would change. I think the story of how life is different but still the same comes across well.

cheers

pbee

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Thanks Vic

Have reposted it , Yeah "age shall not weary them" , is just a beautiful line and brings shivers down the spine ...

That verse I mentioned Vic is beautiful stuff old boy well done again

cheers

L.K

Aghhhh

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

I love it, it's very moving. I absolutely love the way it goes from time to time. You don't actually tell us but we know.

I really do like this a lot and despite all of it's merits (which are many) there is one thing that stands out to me and that is the fact that it makes you think. I mean it's not often people actually think about the things that matter but you've made us all think, about how lucky we are and about why those guys in those old photographs are so important and why they should never be forgotten.

Thanks for that,

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey vic.

this song first gave me a strange/sad feeling but then, as I got it, I think it became a happier(for desperate want of a better word), somewhat soothing thing.
I can't really explain it but love the idea and think this is a very nice song, boy.

cheers,
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

This song is brilliant Vic,

Lovely evocative lyrics.

Talking of WW1 and photo's, I had a great uncle who was killed in France in 1915 aged just 19. Unfortunately there are no known photo's of him in the family. There may have been one of him in uniform and it was probably destroyed during the blitz on London during WW2 as his family (my grandmother his sister) were bombed out then but thankfully survived.

I went on the War Graves Commission website a few years ago. Found the memorial his name was on. (No known grave like so many).

My youngest son was going on a school trip to the Somme and his teacher made a detour and actually took him to the memorial. Well my lad was made up and moved to tears at the same time. Here then was a member of my great uncle's family standing there 85 years later, only 4 years younger than he was. We've never known him but he is still remembered.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rocketgirl)
Reputable Member

Vic,
But from the set of his jaw, and the look in his eye,
You can see he'd be willing to fight and die

Really liked this part, great imagery! I'm not too much of a patriotic type, but regardless, I was drawn into this song! Good job. G. :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

wow, have I had a lot of trouble putting music to this...

got a slow acoustic riff - Dm, C, Bb, C for the verses....D, C, A, G, A for choruses....

but what I wanted was a different chord - a 7th or a 6th or a dim or a + - to end the chorus - I think I've got it now, instead of the last A I tried Am7 and A9 - seems to work OK....give me a couple of days to get it down I'll probably try and do a demo....you have been warned!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I'll be waiting to hear this Vic

Your chord progression sounds very interesting .......

Aghhhh

ReplyQuote