Notifications
Clear all

ignore posts by certain individuals

75 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

That'd be cool. Maybe even a contest: who can reach the 100 ignore count fastest without getting banned. :D

:lol:

How about awarding a status to the amount of ignores you get simliar to the way you get for post count (Full member, senior member etc).

It could start at something like 'mildly irritating' for say 10 ignores going through to 'public enemy number 1' for say 100 ignores. :lol:

Back on topic though, in my albeit short time on GN there has only ever been once that I would have used the ignore button and as it turned out he didn't stick around long so it's no longer an issue. It might be a useful addition though if it wasn't too much hassle to introduce.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 20/01/2007 9:48 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Thats' nice Chris_C

I thought it was just me :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I am a little bemused by this thread , how did this all evolve ..

There have been threads I have read and I have totally disagrred with but instead of voicing my disapproval which I have the right to ..I find it easier not to reply ...

My mama always told me ,

"Son if you aint got a good word about someone don't use a bad one "

Ok she really didn't say it like that but I am sure the message is there

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 20/01/2007 10:20 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Just for my information, who left?

Posted : 20/01/2007 11:02 am
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Sleutelbos,

Was it Mikespce ?

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

Posted : 20/01/2007 11:59 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure, he does seem to be gone. But so are some others, even a mod is gone. (Joe) And then again, was there one person in specific that caused MS to leave?

Posted : 20/01/2007 12:02 pm
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Yeah, I think it was Mikespce himself LOL......

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

Posted : 20/01/2007 12:33 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wouldn't that mean we actually need an 'ignore all' button to prevent such situations? ;)

Posted : 20/01/2007 12:37 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

muahahahahaa

Ignore all button, I like that. That would tend to cut down on the flow of information though.

Joe didn't leave, he just slowed down. He comes and goes.

Keith hit the nail on the head with Mikespe's reason for leaving. I opted out of the discussion and let the other mods figure it out. It seems they came to a mutual parting of the ways without me.

Posted : 20/01/2007 12:42 pm
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

I'd rather see what they were saying myself - "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" and all that :wink:

+1. :D

Regards,

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

Posted : 20/01/2007 1:15 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

This is an entertaining thread, to be sure. :lol:

I guess I can see how an ignore button might be used, but I can also see how it has the potential to escalate conflicts.

Having an ignore button could foster an attitude (among the more pugnacious of members) of "Well, I'll just say this, and if so-and-so has anything to say about it, I'll just tell him to use his ignore button."

Or when member ABC takes the time to write a knowledgeable and thoughtful reply to a question, and then member XYZ repeats the exact same answer, because she has ABC on her ignore list and didn't read ABC's post, so ABC (not knowing he is on XYZ's ignore list) posts, "Isn't that exactly what I just said?" Blah, blah, blah.

We don't need that kind of repartee here, IMO. And it's so easy (and so mature :P ) to just scroll past the posts of people if you don't care to read their opinions. It's much easier than in person, where social conventions dictate that you stand and listen politely--instead you just "walk on by."

The mods here do a great job of making sure things stay respectful. I've checked out a few other forums in the past, and they are rife with meanness, racism, sexism, etc.

I think an ignore button could make even more work for the mods. I fear an ignore button could foster cliquishness, and erode the atmosphere of equality and respect that we enjoy here at GN.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 20/01/2007 3:51 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

My sentiments totally go out with Margaret. An excellent way to describe, what I was feeling all the time about this 'ignore' thing.

The 'ignore' function will ruin the brotherhood feeling we have on GN. Nobody is so bad, that they need to be ignored. Everyone has something positive to contribute. Moreover, as AKflyingV pointed out - ''Everything cannot be conveyed through text.'' So when we find an offensive post -

1. Relax

2. Tell oneself, that this is just a virtual world, where words and sentences have several meanings. Often the other person really means otherwise or has a balanced point of view.

3. Never, ever, reply back in offensive or be overly sarcastic through words. Then you and that person have no difference left.

4. Switch off the computer and play some guitar. (Or anything you may desire.)

As Arjen once had in his quote - "Taking posts too seriously can be harmful to your health. Consult a doctor when in doubt.''

I am a big NO for the ignore feature.

Rahul

Posted : 20/01/2007 4:38 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I honestly agree with Rahul on this one . . .

The mods do a fine job, and if someone's going to leave in a huff 'cause someone upset them, then the ignore feature won't really help, it'll just delay the inevitable.

In the meantime, there will be people who will miss posts that they would enjoy reading because they 'ignored' someone on the basis of a post or two on a completely different topic.

But, if we're going to put the feature in .. I really want to know how many people are ignoring me :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 20/01/2007 7:58 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

sorry i been ignoring this thread. it's just that i have nothing to say.

Posted : 20/01/2007 8:38 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

[You've chosen to ignore this user.]

Posted : 20/01/2007 9:32 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Margret is now just showing off coz she knows all the letters ..

xyz ..show off

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 21/01/2007 12:32 am
Page 3 / 5