Clear all

Days that end in Y

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nitetrapper)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Another song I wrote in the country genre. Let me know what you think.Thanks Nite....

©2004 Writer Ken Lillie
Title, "Days that end in Y"
v1
The smell of your scent still lingers
Theres faded shapes etched on the walls
As I try to wash away your memory
I hear your voice echo down the hall
Chorus
I try my best to live without you
Try to erase you from my mind
Now the only time I think about you
Are the days that end in Y.
Yes I'm stronger than I once was
The only time you'll see me cry
Is when I'm looking at your picture
On the days that end in Y.
v2
I made a promise since you left me
I'd do my best' that I'd get by
Then I catch myself thinking about you
Makes me stop and wonder why?
Bridge
Lifes a battle in itself, loves an endless destiny. Love can be so cold and lonley.
When love becomes a memory.
Chorus
I try my best to live without you
Try to erase you from my mind
Now the only time I think about you
Are the days that end in Y.
Yes I'm stronger than I once was
The only time you'll see me cry
Is when I'm looking at your picture
On the days that end in Y.

lyrics belong in songs, poems bolong in bookstores

(@sozay)
Estimable Member

great song nitetrapper.
the one thing to maybe change is "the smell of your scent", its kinda of redudant having smell and scent... perhaps describe the scent instead, so that the line doesnt just beomce "Your scent still linger"
maybe "Your soft, sweet scent still lingers"
sorry, i know that probably sounds a bad terrible cliched example but you get the idea.
well that was the painful part ot of the way, all i have i praise for the rest of the song... again loved the chorus! It the type i like to read/write, where the narrator sounds like they are getting better/stronger, and then the last line gives away that they are all at sea... i guess i like the contrast and the 'suprise' the last line of the chorus gives. very clever.
I like your bridge too, and the only reason i am going to suggest a different one is, well it popped into my head, and seemed a contrast to the rest of the song in the same way the 4th and eight lines of the chorus are a contrast to the rest of the choruses
Something along the lines of
"Im only ever all at sea
On the days that end in y
On Monday through Sunday,
And every single yesterday
The only hope I see
Is tomorrow"

Its sad sad, with a happy twist... i think it might sound okay against your happy, happy, with a sad twist chorus... tomorrow is the only day that doesnt end in a y... so its the only day you'll be okay...

Anyways thats my 2 cents... though i reckon with the amount i rattled on ive given you the whole coin jar, and i know how much i hate being give change...
Great writing, look forward to seeing more!
Sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

roll up that change, here's the second cent

very cool, reminds me of supertramp, simple, well-connected lines.
Second Verse, second line, confused me, it's seems like "that" isn't quite right
I'd do my best' that I'd get by

"that" purveys some meaning, but you could use "and","then", or "so"

I agree fully with sozay's praises, and I would add that this has rhythm changes, not mistakes :D

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@nitetrapper)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sozayand Snoogans, Thanks alot for the read and reply. I was thinking of getting rid of the bridge alltogether. But thats a pretty good idea you suggested. thanks again for the input. keep writing and playing. Nite...........

lyrics belong in songs, poems bolong in bookstores

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I like it - I haven't been listening to country nusic for long, but Twisted Fingers sent me a "Must listen to" list.....working my way through 'em, slowly but surely......

Yeah, these are great lyrics, in a country kind of way.......then again, they'd make a good song in any genre.......

So keep writing, you'll probably look at these lyrics in a few years time and think "God, what was I thinking".......in the same way Mick and Keith looked at Satisfaction round about 73.......

:D :D :D

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member

I like the verse and choruses a lot...Not sure about the bridge.
It doesn't serve itself well to repeat love that many times. Maybe mix in some other words...just an idea

Lifes a battle in itself,
loves an endless destiny.
Thoughts can be so cold and lonley.
When you only have the memories.

That's not very good but you get the idea...

Other than that "Great Job!"

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Hey nitetrapper,

These lyrics are good, like others have commented, simple and well-connected. And it's a catchy notion. "Only days that end in Y" I hate to be the one to metnion it, but the idea was done by Clay Walker already. see:Only on days that end in Y Your lyrics are original, and good. But your hook's been used already. It wouldn't be too difficult though to come up with another hook that has the same meaning.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote