Notifications
Clear all

So...

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It doesn't matter what the assignment is, it's just songwriting practice.

Yes and no - the forum's whatever you want it to be. It can be "just" songwriting practise, if you like - a chance to try out ideas you might not try otherwise, and get some feedback. Or it could be a learning tool in a different way - watching other people's particular style develop, how they use imagery, how they might view things from a different viewpoint. Or it could be a kick-start to a whole new writing experience - I've found since I started dropping in here that I actually listen to music in a different way; I'm more analytical, breaking down music into chords, riffs, phrases, themes, verses, choruses etc - and for me, some of the topics give me a chance to write about subjects I might not have even thought about otherwise.

Like anything else in life, the more you put into the SSG, the more you'll get out of it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Let's see, -- should I say anything seeing's how I haven't posted a single song this year? What the heck. -- My situation is similar (sounding) to Vic's. I've been inactive around here for much longer than I like, because other things in life are taking more of my time the last couple years. My writing has slipped, and my playing has slipped.
For me, the only gripe I had with this forum was that for a while, the critiques all started sounding like canned "atta-boys". There were very few suggestions for improvement, and like Pbee said, we ought to be able to find something good and something to be improved in every song. But phrasing criticism is hard, and takes some real effort. ( I just finished posting 3 or 4 critiques that were all positive, so I should take my own advice, eh? ) Actually, my favorite part of participating in this forum back when was reading the criticisms from writers I admired. I felt like it really helped me improve.
I remember when I started here, I could always count on Jamir to tell me my submission was a bit "longish". I usually tried to justify that, but over time my songs did get pared down to a more manageable size.
Once again, I'm going to try to get re-started around here. So ask again in a few months? :?

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey, good to see you back, Scratch! It has been a while hasn't it.......

BTW, have you changed your signature quote? I seem to remember it was something like an old glass bottle shining like a diamond ring....or was that someone else?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Thanks Vic,
BTW, have you changed your signature quote? I seem to remember it was something like an old glass bottle shining like a diamond ring....or was that someone else?

Yeah, that was me. It was from a John Prine song, (well, it still is from a John Prine song) called "Far from me". It was: "Ain't it funny how an old broken bottle looks just like a diamond ring?"

The new one is from a John Prine song called "Come back to us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard". He's a favorite songwriter of mine.

Now I have to go see if I can write a song for someone.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

For me, the only gripe I had with this forum was that for a while, the critiques all started sounding like canned "atta-boys". There were very few suggestions for improvement, and like Pbee said, we ought to be able to find something good and something to be improved in every song.

I understand what you're saying. I at times find myself falling away from critiques because I grow tired
of saying "Good Job" even when that is truly how I feel. I suppose we all could try a little harder.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

Well i haven't posted a song in a very long time but I used to be a be a regular contributer here at GN and I used to do the SSG assignments most weeks. That's going back some years now though. I just wanted to say, as the topic was brought up, that the SSG is the single most brilliant idea regarding improving ones songwriting skills. And it seems the only negative aspect, that i can think of, is the way that some weeks there is lots of feedback and other weeks less, this has always been the way though and there is very little that can be done about this; people have busy weeks and quiet weeks, sometimes people lack the motivation. That's just the nature of the beast, i guess. I also would like to point out my favourite thing about the SSG.

I like the way that it upholds your right to fail. I mean, you can post rubbish and people won't just say "no, that's terrible, go away please" instead they will tell you how to improve, give you on pointers, and even suggest specific changes. I know that I was terrified at first and my early posts were dreadful, to be honest, but thanks to the supportive, nurturing attitude of the SSG critics i was made to feel at ease. I wasn't being judged on the quality of my songwriting, everyone was just trying to help me improve no matter how good or bad i may have been. I've always thought it was important to be creative without fear of being judged, without being scared of what people will think. Will they like it? Will they hate me if it's bad? Will they think I'm just a joke because my work is so poor? (a bit extreme I know :D) These thoughts never ran through my mind when i was posting assignments and that's what makes the SSG so successful. Started with the aim of improving peoples songwriting, an aim taken up whole-heartedly by the GN community. And it's still here many years down the line. That's pretty impressive.

I will also hopefully try to get back into writing and the SSG will help me do that hopefully. It's been a long absence and despite several attempts to start contributing here at GN, I have always failed miserably :( but maybe this time will work out better :).

Hopefully the SSG will continue for many more years, inspiring people to get up and write just like it did for me.

Pete. :)

P.S. I really do go on quite a lot, feel free to just ignore me :D

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Almost feel a little guilty posting since i havent taken time to write a song or review in a long time. But I do check in fairly regular to check the topic.

I have enjoyed the topics and yet I fall into a couple of the categories already mentioned here. I get tired of saying " Good job" even when I really feel that way. As someone that has participated in the past I find that I learn more in just posting it and getting it out there than I do from most of the responses anyway because generally I know what I am looking for and even if most of the people dont "get it", just posting it and seeing the replies will lead me in one direction or the other. I generally write for myself. Its like cheap therapy.

I would love to put aside the excuses and begin writing again. I feel like the well has been so dry lately.

Wish me luck, and please keep up the great work in this particular forum... I think its a great resource.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2