Clear all

Week 47 - "Things Are Looking Up" w/ audio

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

odd title i've had in mind for a while...... managed to get it together for this week.

"Things Are Looking Up (Now That The Sky Is Falling)"

It rained
Ten days and ten nights
And I said
"Another thirty would set things right"
And you laughed
Said "let it come down...
We'll pack lunch and head for higher ground."

(chorus)
Let the wind and rain
Carry the world away
Its high time we saw a change
Let the water rise
And all the while you and I
Will be holding hands
On our own private island

Things are looking up...
Things are looking up...
Things are looking up...
Now that the sky is falling

It rained
And we didn't care
And I said
"There's really no hope for them is there?"
And we laughed
Said "let it come down.."
And we made love on the higher ground

(chorus)
Let the wind and rain
Carry the world away
Its high time we saw a change
Let the water rise
And all the while you and I
Will be holding hands
On our own private island

(bridge)
And things are looking up
Just wave goodbye to all this
Is there really much that you'll miss?
And we can see clearly
Now that the storm is coming
This is the new beginning
Of a happy ending.

Things are looking up...
Things are looking up...
Things are looking up...

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

(@alterego)
Estimable Member

Marv, you are so true to your user id :) At first look I went, wow, what a nice and hopeful spinoff on a disastrous theme (puns intended :lol: ) and then just now while replying I saw your id. So, it really is an interesting piece of work. "There's really no hope for them is there?" the "them" in this line, are you referring to those who are stranded in the storm or those who've been left behind or those who don't see an optimistic oppurtunity in this storm? because in the next line you write And we laughed , which kinda doesn't go along with the hope you portray in your song. I mean, laughing at those who are gonna suffer in the storm just doesn't feel right here. Of course, all this coz I'm assuming "them" refers to the unfortunate souls getting their ass wet in the hard rain :lol:
All in all, a good set of lyrics. And I can kinda just catch some Dylan kinda feel to it. Keep writing pal :D

http://poemasmuertos.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@sozay)
Estimable Member

great stuff marv,

love the story, the interaction/dialogue between the two characters. the bridge is probably my favourite part, sums it all up brilliantly.

nice work
sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Hey Marv,

Good stuff, as always. I really like the angle you took. It seems like you have either a very complex structure working in the song, or you have 3-4 different patterns working together. Either way, it's quite good, and rather impressive. You know me, I'm lucky if I can find an alternate pattern for the chorus! Anyways, nicely done.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey marv,

great song, yadda, yadda, yadda. (like you didn't already know it was going to be the moment you got the idea.) no need to state what you already know.

nice dialogue beyween the characters. it kinda makes you feel like you are there with them. and as far as what alerego commented on about wanting to know who "them" are you refer to. with the attitude of the characters in the song, it doesn't matter at all. since the two don't care, the reader should care.
Ten days and ten nights
And I said
"Another thirty would set things right" Is there really much that you'll miss?This is the new beginning
Of a happy ending.these lines really stand out as my favorite ones.

there is one thing that i didn't care for here. it is in the title. i hate parentheses in titles. that is just a personal thing with me. my whole thing is either use all the words in the title or leave out part of it. but don't use parentheses. like i said it is just me, i am sure it won't change anything here.
Marv, you are so true to your user id :lol: :lol: :lol: it is a bit of a change of topic for marv to be writting an optimistic song. every other song by him seems to have a very neg or depressing feel to them. it is good to stretch the mind and write something different. even though marv's stuff is always Different.

you never take the obvious route when looking at the writting topic, i think that is one of the big draws to reading your work. it is seeing how you are going to work the topic onto your song.

of course you are going to keep up the good work. do there is no need to say it.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The characters are in fact laughing at the poor souls being washed away. The first verse has the reference in it to the Biblical flood (40days and 40 nights... 10 +30). Which is kind of the outlook the characters take on the whole of the world around them. Optimism is a subjective thing. And it might be a good thing to some that the world as they know it is being washed away. Its a story of fanciful cynics... ha... Anyhow.. glad you guys liked it. I always appreciate the comments and such.

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

ReplyQuote
(@geoffrey)
Estimable Member

in all seriousness..

i think you should change

"and we made love on the higher ground."

to

"and we made fuck on the higher ground."

because it awsomely doesn't make proper sense.
and come on. the world is ending!!! it's a violent topic.
i think the characters should be just as violent in their love
and the storm is in it's damage. that way it balances out.
and come on. if the people are laughing at the rest.. it just doesn't
seem to me that they are gonna make love.

to listen to my songs for SSC click here http://www.myspace.com/impossibleobjects

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

..and will the world end in the daytime? i really... don't know.
umm.... half of it will.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well the band's been working hard this passed week on recording... this is one of the tracks we got done.

http://www.thehouseholdgods.com/newdemo/Things%20Are%20Looking%20Up%20(Because%20The%20Sky%20Is%20Falling).wma

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just listened to the demo, what can I say? Absolutely knocked out!!!! You've done a truly superb job on this one, the music complements the lyrics perfectly. Love the way the guitar riff comes in on the chorus!!!

Things really are looking up for the future with talent like this around...

*Bows, salutes.*

*wanders off to play it again.....*

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Olav
(@olav)
Estimable Member

Fantastic Marv.
I remember back when you wrote this and I was wondering what it would sounds like....now we know! Souned great.
Blessings. Olav

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hey there ,

Hey this is great really well done it has a bit of a REM sought of sound but that's a good thing . Brilliant man brilliant love it love it

Don't take offence to my reference to REM but to me that is who I reckon it sounds little like

cheers

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just had another listen, sounds just as good.....

Great song, I really do love this....

Where's the justice in the world, when G*h Gs and W**l Y***g can get to number one at he drop of a hat, and SUPERB music like this gets heard by a few hundred people?

I am really depressed now...that's the down side!...thought I could write a good song, now I realise how mich work I have to put in to be classed as "Average" (sniff!)

I said it before, I'll reiterate....I absolutely love this song, stands up to repeated playing....and I am so jealous !!!!!!!

Brilliant, man!!!!!

Vic

:D :D :D :D :D

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mr-d)
Eminent Member

Fantastic song. It's a great idea for a song and you executed it extremely well. I love it.

Dillon

I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV

ReplyQuote