Clear all

WK 27....Angels and Demons

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Angels and Demons is just a working title so far....I did have another idea, I may yet post another song later this week because the original two lines I scribbled down don't really fit this song, but I don't want to throw them away.....

Angels and Demons.........

Take a look at the world today,
Everywhere's in a dreadful state,
Wars break out over imagined slights,
Can anyone, anywhere, see any light?

Is there hope for society,
Any hope at all for you and me,
Everyone's got a different axe to grind,
Everyone's right in their own mind,

Nation after nation, pleading poverty,
Poorest of the poor, pleading misery,
Hearts and minds suffering, deep dejection,
Angels and Demons, fighting over selection....

Brother fighting 'gainst brother,
Tribe fighting against tribe,
Countries fighting countries for mineral rights,
Why can't they just put their differences aside,

(Bridge)

Religious differences can surely be dismissed,
Never heard of a God who advocated war,
And these finite resources should be equally shared,
Then everybody'd get just a little more....

I also have an idea for a coda for this, but it'll take a bit of working out.... so file this one under "Unfinished" for now....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wars break out over imagined slights

Weapons of mass destruction? LOL. Good going. I like it.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Vic,

Nice job.

I think this chorus works really well especially that last line, a good use of this weeks lines.
:D

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey vic.

it's a surely good attempt, but I kinda feel like I've heard it before... you know, not to say you are copying(no!) or being clishé or anything, because you're not..... it's just that all these issues(which are important and need to be talked about) have been annoying me for such a long time now..... I basically meant to say that I'm a stupid idot who likes to push things aside so they can't bother me... or plugging my ears and going 'lalala' whenever the news report another tragic thing happening.......... I'm egocentric, I guess. and really, it's a good song, as far as I can see.. it simply doesn't speak to me/draw me in the way it should(which is my, not your fault).

anyway I'm really looking forward to see the other idea you have in mind, if you'll post it.
hope you don't get me wrong.
cheers,
[and take care!:)]
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek)
Reputable Member

hello there! yes i agree with bluenightangel..its a good song but..its a topic that so many like to write about yet so few succeed in giving you that 'after feeling' like you gained something new from it. Those are my thoughts...i also look forward to your other ideas.

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Hey Vic,

Yeah, not much to add. I wish I could tell you what to change to make it kick, but that's kinda tough.

Just a note on the line:
Never heard of a God who advocated war

Not to start a religious debate, but both the Jewish and Islamic writtings, have specific instances where war is advocated against the unrighteous. Even the Christian writings, which rely heavily on the Jewish scriptures, speak of warfare, though of a more spiritual nature.

As far as specific critique of the song... I ain't got none. It's a well written piece fo work.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

Good Job! I may be dating myself but it reminds of Barry Mcguire's
Eve of Destrution.

That would be a good point I always loved that song.

SlowPlay WroteJust a note on the line:

Quote:
Never heard of a God who advocated war

Not to start a religious debate, but both the Jewish and Islamic writtings, have specific instances where war is advocated against the unrighteous.

Seems to me most wars are fought with one or more sides believing that God is on their side.

Maybe you should think about that about that line a little.

My thought would be to make it more your opinion.

Something like:

I can't believe in a God who advocates war.

Or does that sound too much like Barry Mcguire?

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

Got a lot to say about this one. First of all, liked the song. I agree w/ bluenightangel about this subject being used a lot, but the fact is that its a subject that can't be avoided. My song I wrote for this assingment is kinda like yours, but not as specific. Not all about war, just overall about how the world is going down the drain and how Im looking for something thats not leaked out its purity yet. Someplace to be safe when the sh*t hits the fan. Anyway,
Never heard of a God who advocated warI think I get what your saying. I dont think you meant for it to be criticising other religions and why they fight, but you're trying to say that you know it's not in God's will to go to war, no matter what the reason, whether its due to certain teachings, beliefs, or the unrighteous. Crap, I'm rambling. Good job. Keep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

Got a lot to say about this one. First of all, liked the song. I agree w/ bluenightangel about this subject being used a lot, but the fact is that its a subject that can't be avoided. My song I wrote for this assingment is kinda like yours, but not as specific. Not all about war, just overall about how the world is going down the drain and how Im looking for something thats not leaked out its purity yet. Someplace to be safe when the sh*t hits the fan. Anyway,
Never heard of a God who advocated warI think I get what your saying. I dont think you meant for it to be criticising other religions and why they fight, but you're trying to say that you know it's not in God's will to go to war, no matter what the reason, whether its due to certain teachings, beliefs, or the unrighteous. I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, just trying to understand it. Crap, I'm rambling again. Good job. Keep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote