But Baldev's brazen biceps bewilder Banita
Benji bellows boldly belaboring the Bollywood blues

Benji body builds believing brains bore Banita
Benji body builds believing brains bore Banita
Benji body builds; Benji body builds
But Bhagwant's billfold bulge banks Banita's booty
Benji bellows boldly belaboring the Bollywood blues

(@davidhodge)

A lot of alliteration albeit all quite alluring.

Simply wonderful and fun. I have to say, though, I was expecting Banita to end up with a bongo player at the end of verse three, just to make Benji's day even worse.

If you get the chance, could you take a moment and outline how you went about recording this? I think it would be educational for all involved.

Can't wait to hear what comes next.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the listen and post. :D
A lot of alliteration albeit all quite alluring.
:lol:
I was expecting Banita to end up with a bongo player at the end of verse three, just to make Benji's day even worse.
That's what I thought at first as well, but the "B"s were getting the better of me and then I thought...romance could be trumped by good looks, good looks can be trumped by money. If it wasn't already long enough, I could also have Benji pursue money to woo Banita....then gets her....they get married but he gets so busy running his business that she has an affair with a ..........bongo player :lol: Maybe in an epic version :roll:
If you get the chance, could you take a moment and outline how you went about recording this?

I used sampled files I had gotten from loopmasters.com
The files can easily be dragged and dropped into a DAW (Digital audio workstation). I use Sonar 8.5 Producer.

First, I chose a rhythm groove and had it play out the length of the song.

Second, I played the chord progression for the Eric Clapton version.

Third, came up with the lyrics trying to use words that only started with B.

Fourth, recorded the vocals.

Fifth, realized that a lot of the sampled files I wanted to use were in the key of D instead of C, so instead of replaying and resinging, I used v-vocal on the guitar and main vocals to raise them a step. (This is an unnecessary step if I thought things out better before recording).

Sixth, drag and dropped different “Indian” voices, instruments and rhythms onto audio tracks.

Seventh, added delay effects to some of the vocals.

Eighth, mixed and converted the song to an MP3 file.

Ninth, sped up the whole song to 108%

Tenth, posted up on Soundclick.com and our beloved SSG ;)

Total time from start to finish roughly 6 hours (6 PM to 12 AM).

James

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, that's certainly different, James!

Not sure where to start really - can't find fault with anything. As DH says, you've pulled off the alliteration beautifully and you've captured the whole Bollywood atmosphere perfectly. I'm no expert, but it certainly sounds Indian to me!

Interesting to read about the whole process - thanks for sharing that with us.

Great start to the year!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Vic,

Thanks for the listen and post :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

My first thought was, this reads like a nightmare! But you managed to sing it a lot better than it reads... all the B's are not quite so noticeable in the recording. The sound and lyrics are reminiscent of The Beatles' acid period.
Nice story hidden within the lyrics, although I would think twice before writing another with this format!

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

The whole tongue twister thing blows me away. I would be tripping all over the lines. This is the kind of stuff that I need to see and hear to expand my own visions.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Martin,
My first thought was, this reads like a nightmare!
:lol:
I would think twice before writing another with this format!
Agreed :lol: Actually I kept thinking about "She sells sea shells" and thought, "Why don't I just try my own tongue twister instead of redoing what's been done?" :wink:

Hi MrEWorm,
This is the kind of stuff that I need to see and hear to expand my own visions.
That's great to hear. I have found SSG a good/safe forum to experiment on thanks to the feedback given. I hope you find the growth we're all after :wink:

Thanks for the listen and post :D

James

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Thanks for the description of your process.
I found it very interesting.

I can't add much to what has already been said but
I enjoyed listening.

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, John :D

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

Very creative James. I like the production it's an audible treat. I've got all these loops that came with Garageband and am inspired to play around with them. I don't have any constructive criticism sorry to say. I have to get back into the swing of things. The blues are universal.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Ernie,
've got all these loops that came with Garageband and am inspired to play around with them.
Sounds like a good plan. :wink: I just bought a used Mac laptop....I'm still nervous to make the switch from desktops to Macs.... :? This was my baby step to see if I could handle the adjustment :P
I don't have any constructive criticism sorry to say.
No problem. I appreciate you taking the time just posting that you had a listen....Thanks :D
The blues are universal.
Indeed :wink:

Thanks, again for the listen and post :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

James,

I splurged on a Macbook during the summer because my PC was basically and finally good for nothing more that making hard drive churning sounds and displaying an hourglass on the screen.

I wanted to try something different but was not sure about Mac. All my friends said I'd love it and I just knew I wouldn't. I resented the high price for the same components and I was not sure I would "get it". But as it turns out I like it a lot and despite a few problems it works very well. I've nothing against PC's however, and if I had a need I would get one.

I think you might like it.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Macbook
Yeah, I figured I didn't have the right lingo down when I was typing Mac laptop. :P .....at least I wasn't the one to name their new product Ipad. :oops: http://www.ipadjoke.com/ :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you might like it.
That's what I am afraid of. :shock: I never really had a lump some of money to invest in the recording software and equipment, but I've been upgrading bit-by-bit and now I do have quite a bit of money tied up in the Sonar software. I am happy with it for sure, but I have to check into if would be transferable to Mac or not.....usually the software says PC or Mac specific....but it is nice to hear a confirmation from another satisfied Mac customer. :wink:

ReplyQuote