Skip to content
What's the most mea...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the most meaningful song you know?

56 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
14.7 K Views
(@pierson)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So, I'm starting a post to find the song with the most meaningful mesage it has. Start posting and saying what the song is about! This is to help widen our views and help with out writing!

I'll start with aenema, by Tool. It is about how Maynard dislikes all of the evil in L.A. and how morals aren't there anymore, so he's praying for a flood to wash it all away. So they better ask for forgiveness or "learn to swim."

Read the lyrics here :
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/AElig-nema-lyrics-Tool/C20E0AE849AFE16048256A57002C503E

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon

A song about a dying mans wish to be remembered after he has passed.

This is off Warrens CD The Wind recorded after he was diagnosed with incurable cancer. This entire CD is very poinant . A brave statement by a brave man.

"Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for a while"(Zevon and Calderon)

R.I.P. Warren

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@scott)

"Sniper" by Harry Chapin. It is a slightly dramatized, sympathetic account of Charles Whitman's Texas Tower shootings in 1966.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member

That's a hard one but my pick is by Charles Aznavour - 'Il Faut Savoir'
In English - 'You've got to Learn.'
It's on my 'to-do list' to learn on guitar.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member

oh jee.......(These are at this moment in time...cuz it always changes with me)

Edwin Mccain- 'Write Me A Song' (About lonelyness basiclly)

Tracy Chapman- Fast Car (About ecaping from your life etc)

Rain Shadow

ReplyQuote
 spug
(@spug)
Eminent Member

I would have to say that the meaningful song to me would be... The Outsider by A Perfect Circle. This song is very well written, and it is the anti suicide rock song. The way that APC orchestrates their music brings this song much more meaning. especially because it is being sung by Maynard James Keenan.

Got Metal?

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

that's a hard question............. only naming one song is difficult because the number of meaningful songs I love is increasing steadily... so I can only tell you one right off my head that means a lot to me at the moment, alright?

"Landlocked Blues" by Bright Eyes
as most of Conor's songs it's about many things, e.g. the war, the unsuccessful attempt to try to get used to life/living, love, sadness, my beloved melancholy........ it's difficult for me to say what it's about because it's very versatile and I just love every line of it so much that I would end up quoting the whole song..... I especially like the tree gun part- "and he shot me dead" and the one where it's "the world's got me dizzy again. you'd think after 22 years I'd be used to the spin"
etc etc etc

see for yourself(think they got the correct lyrics there, just skimmed it.. maybe a bit awkwardly written, I mean the quoation marks): http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Landlocked-Blues-lyrics-Bright-Eyes/8D2CD15C67C5C89D48256F72000D661B

sorry for rambling.
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@onegirlrevolution)

i have two... the first is: Colombine (Friend of mine) is by two kids that were at Colombine during the shooting in 1999 (?). I dont really know much about it, but i love the song.
and next is Ocean Floor, by Audio Adrenaline, cuz it's about...well i cant think of anything to say about it, without possibly offending anyone. It's a Christian song. so just read the lyrics

"i wish the world was made of chocolate"
[--Tyler Burkum--]

She's calling out to You, this is a call; this is a call out... [--Thousand Foot Krutch--]

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek)
Reputable Member

that's a hard question............. only naming one song is difficult because the number of meaningful songs I love is increasing steadily... so I can only tell you one right off my head that means a lot to me at the moment, alright?

"Landlocked Blues" by Bright Eyes
as most of Conor's songs it's about many things, e.g. the war, the unsuccessful attempt to try to get used to life/living, love, sadness, my beloved melancholy........ it's difficult for me to say what it's about because it's very versatile and I just love every line of it so much that I would end up quoting the whole song..... I especially like the tree gun part- "and he shot me dead" and the one where it's "the world's got me dizzy again. you'd think after 22 years I'd be used to the spin"
etc etc etc

see for yourself(think they got the correct lyrics there, just skimmed it.. maybe a bit awkwardly written, I mean the quoation marks): http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Landlocked-Blues-lyrics-Bright-Eyes/8D2CD15C67C5C89D48256F72000D661B

sorry for rambling.
bluenightangel

i absolutely LOVE Bright Eyes, i think connor is amazing, the new album is sensational and i especially love We are nowhere and its now, Lua and First day of my life! its nice to find other fans!

ReplyQuote
(@plooky)
Eminent Member

i've only just discovered this post...

A song by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Life Without You, moves me everytime I hear it. It's more the music than the lyrics, and it strikes me as a very passionate/uplifting melody (with some exceptional guitar playing). It just lifts me everytime I hear it. I guess the message that I collect from that song is to live life to it's fullest, be there to support and help those who need it/you are close to.

Another favourite as far as idea/message goes is a song by Australian guitarist Ian Moss 'Small Town Motel Blues'. It's about being 'stuck' in a small town, longing for something more, something more than what you have. As far as the message goes it's sort of about working away and doing what you have to do to get by, and hoping (longing) for something to change.

There we go

lois: 'Chris, women are not objects!'
peter: 'Your mother's right son, listen to what it says.'

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I guess the message that I collect from that song is to live life to it's fullest, be there to support and help those who need it/you are close to.
This is what I was looking for. The real questions: How does your song inspire you? What do you learn from it?

Great posts, guys.

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@x_gyllenhaalic_x)
Trusted Member

The Two for me are:

a). Good Charlotte = Wounded
-It's about being lonely, and then finding the right person, someone who would help no matter what. Then, pushing them away, and soon after seeing they need them, try to get them back.
-Link: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Wounded-lyrics-Good-Charlotte/8972A3FD7573DF0048256FB900135546

and:

b). Gary Jules = Mad World
-It's a very sad song. Played at the end of one of the best blockbluster movie, Donnie Darko (2002: Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone and Drew Barrymore), It sings like it's telling the story about Donnie. It say's 'The dreams in which I'm dying, are the best i've ever had'. In the movie, Donnie was told the world was going to end. Near the end, when the end of the world comes, a worm hole appears and makes time go back, the night Donnie sleptwalked and was told the world was going to end. Donnie wakes up, before he was surpose to sleep walk, and start's laughing, thinking that the experience of the future, of the world going to end was a dream.
-Link: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Mad-World-lyrics-Gary-Jules/548D7C71234C97CE48256E1A0012BF2A

Jake Gyllenhaal/my oh my/your so cute/you make me sigh! I <3 JAKE!

ReplyQuote
(@jacqui1627)
Trusted Member

for me, songs produced from Disney records have always been the most meaningful. Hey, it might just be my age, but at the same time I believe they are timeless; just a few;

'Look Through My Eyes' Phill Collins
'Go the distance' Michael Bolton
'Reflection' Christina Aguilera'
'Where the Dream Takes You' Mya
'One Heart' O Town

For me these are meaningful because they have messages that inspire and send important meanings about the world and how it can be a better place. For example, 'Go the Distance' , talks about going on a journey to find where one belongs, no matter how long, or how far- they will find the place. In the end he discovers being a hero doesn't just mean saving the world; the last line states "Till I find my heros welcome, waiting in your arms."

Cheezy i know.. but Id don't know what I'd do without disney :wink:

Jacqui

"Iam a question to the world... not an answer to be heard."

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

Here's my pick: "Losing my Religion" by REM

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Steve Wonder " I Just called to say I love you "

something everyone should do , for their loved ones

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4