Clear all

Week 35--"Couldn't Be Me" (First Post)

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sfdean)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm just getting back to songwriting after a long hiatus, but I (1) co-write with at least one perfectionist (2) have appallingly high aspirations, and (3) have a thick skin, so feel free to dial up the criticism accordingly.

I really enjoyed this assignment (and this entire project and forum, which I just discovered yesterday and devoured today.) I probably still need to tweak the meter of my three verses to get them to match a little more closely. (It'd be nice if they sat on the same melody.) The idea was an AABA song format, with the equivalent of the hook at the end of each A section. (That's how I learned it. Others would say it's a one-line chorus.) It turned out to be more of a personal song than a protest song, and also ended up with a Christian slant, which was interesting, since I've never written a lyric like that before. The idea was, with the final line "it couldn't be JUST me" to suggest some change/understanding/personal growth in the singer during the course of the song.

A big hello to everyone, and thanks in advance for any comments and critiques.

SfDean

Couldn't Be Me

A woman on the street
Has a cardboard sign
“Two kids and no job—
It's for food, not for wine”
But I got my family to feed
Besides, that couldn't be me
No, that couldn't be me

Though I'm just a car
In a crosswalk away
From hospital bills
And no weekly pay
I pretend that I don't see--
Because that couldn't be me
No, that couldn't be me

A long time ago
A young carpenter said
At the end when we're measured,
Our hearts and our heads,
It's how we treat
Those who have the least…
I don't know who
He was talked to
It couldn't be me
Could it?
That was a long time ago
But the poor are still with us today

Now they say we're too stretched
For the old safety nets
But the colder it gets
I wonder who's left
To lend the hand they need
It couldn't be me
Could it?
It couldn't be just me

Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny--Frank Zappa.
Who smells funny now?--Jazz

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

SfDean

Welcome to Guitarnoise and the SSG.

This is very good stuff. The general theme is excellent it reminds
me of a poem about nazism.
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Similar sentiment

I think the B part is great! Yes it has a Christian slant but it doesn't
come off too preachy or a holier than thou kind of thing.

Sometimes the song and the characters decide the direction
of a song and we as writers just have speak the words for them.

I won't say much about meter because I don't know what
you have in mind musically and nothing stood out as I read it.

The one small correction that stands out for me would be on the lines:
Though I'm just a car
In a crosswalk away

This might read better as:

"Though I'm only a car
And a crosswalk away"

Just a thought.

Welcome again and I'm looking forward to more from you.

Good Stuff!

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@sfdean)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks--and I like your fix for the line.

SfDean

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Agree with Celt, sometimes the subject chooses itself....you seem to have all the bases covered here...

I had no trouble fitting a rhythm to this, I'm guessing though...verse / verse / bridge / verse.....flows nicely, good imagery....look forwqard to more from you!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi sfdean,

Welcome to the forum. Definitely go with the fixed lines.

Nice song, the hook works well and I do like the “Just” variant at the end.
If your worried about the Christian slant I think if you changed this line
A young carpenter said
To some thing like
Someone once said
That would give it more general appeal. It doesn't really matter who said it. It would also leave the measurement line open to interpretation, you might be measuring yourself at the end.

Nice job, look forward to some more :D .

pb

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@sfdean)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Vic Lewis and pbee.

I like your fix, pbee, to make the song more general, while I could preserve the original lyric for the Christian market.

sfDean

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

WELCOME!!! :D

I have to say, I liked the christian touch to it. It gave it more personall meaning, I think. What I don't see is how much of a protest song is this? It has your thoughts, emotions, and opinions, but I think that it lacks something that should make it stand out as a protest song. It reads like a normal song to me (and a very good one). Anyways, I liked the song and I would love to see you post more and also give your critique in this forum. Keep it up!

P.S. Dont be afraid to post some songs in the guitarnoise songwriting club. No lessons, anything goes.

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@euge453)

hey. im new here too :)

i love the first verse. the imaging and rhyming are great, and the last two lines make you think. very powerful.

the second verse is great too. i dont think its quite as strong as your first, but never the less, very good.

im not sure if the third part is a bridge or what, but its pretty cool. i dont like the flow between 'at the end when were measured, our hearts and our heads' i dont know, it just doesnt sound right. maybe try 'at the end when were measured, by our hearts and heads' i think it sounds more natural. also, this may just be a personal preference, but i think itd sound good if you said 'it comes down to how we treat, our brothers around us who have the least' but thats just an idea. obviously change 'he was talked to' to 'he was talking to' the ending for this is awesome. i especially like 'could it?' its like the turning point in the song.

the last verse is good. the beginning doesnt make too much sense. id change 'now thhey say were too stretched for the old safety nets' to 'is seems that now we torn and stretched, the fabrics of our safety nets' or something along those lines. oh man. your ending is amazing.
i wonder whos left to lend the hand they need?
it couldnt be me, could it? it couldnt just be me.
^ that really has power in it.
good job man, i really enjoy this. if you ever record it, post it because itd be cool to hear.

euge

ReplyQuote
(@sfdean)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestions. I have trouble writing protest songs unless (1) they're funny, or (2) they're personal, because I'm afraid ("there were no weapons of mass destruction") otherwise they come off too preachy and they don't convince anyone. But when I make it personal (a father describing why he still doesn't understand why his son died near Fallujah) it seems to work better for me, and (IMHO) it's harder to argue with (what father is going to think his son's early death made sense?) and easier to let in.

euge453, as you guessed, the third block of text is intended as the bridge (the song was intended as an AABA format, with the hook/repeated line at the end of each A section.) Generally, one doesn't use that same line at the end of the B section, which is supposed to be musically and lyrically a departure (in this case in time and to the new testament lines.) But, as someone said above, at some point the material takes over and dictates its own rules. As you point out, I should probably rework that "hearts and our heads" section to capture a little more closely the concept that it's deeds, and the test is how you treat "the least" of your fellow man.

Thanks again, all. I may finish putting this one to music, but that will probably take me a while. (I periodically write with a couple of different guys who are better at the musical composition end of co-writing--the songs come out more musically interesting--but this isn't right for either of them.) If I do, I'll let you know what it turned into.

SfDean.

ReplyQuote
(@rocketgirl)
Reputable Member

SfDean,

I liked the carpenter line. Fit nicely with measurement reference. Hopefully you post the final results. Good job! G. :)

ReplyQuote